BBC clinches Soweto new series - LJN welcomes. .

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC clinches Soweto new series - LJN welcomes. .

As do most of its comments:

Unless the newly announced restrictions also apply to Sounds, I shall probably be abed and asleep when this comes on. While welcome in one sense - Soweto is both credible and authoritative - this does mark a return to the time not so long gone when jazz enthusiasts were being treated as night owls.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Unless the newly announced restrictions also apply to Sounds, I shall probably be abed and asleep when this comes on. While welcome in one sense - Soweto is both credible and authoritative - this does mark a return to the time not so long gone when jazz enthusiasts were being treated as night owls.
    Well, jazz clubs and all that... Might it also have been a way to cater for that interest without causing ructions among the non-jazz community? I grew up hearing relatives and my mother's friends dismissing jazz in the same way they dismissed pop music as 'not real music', an attitude that seems to continue judging by the fact I still hear similar comments - including, sadly, from people younger than me.

Comment

That link didn't work for me. Try this one::

i will be listening, but on BBC catch--up. 12.30 - 1.30 corresponds to my deep-sleep period!

Comment

Thanks Quarky.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Forgive me, but what restrictions are you referring to? I gather it's something referred to in that article, but it doesn't seem to be accessible. Jazz on Radio Three is another new thing for me, and I must say it's rather growing on me! I would say that JRR has become a solid part of my Sunday afternoon, but I certainly won't be listening to this new show as a is broadcast live. If I did that, I wouldn't be able to do my job in the morning! :-) That's why I was asking about restrictions, because I would like to listen on catch-up.

Comment

Originally posted by TarandeepKang View Post

Forgive me, but what restrictions are you referring to? I gather it's something referred to in that article, but it doesn't seem to be accessible. Jazz on Radio Three is another new thing for me, and I must say it's rather growing on me! I would say that JRR has become a solid part of my Sunday afternoon, but I certainly won't be listening to this new show as a is broadcast live. If I did that, I wouldn't be able to do my job in the morning! :-) That's why I was asking about restrictions, because I would like to listen on catch-up.
            See here: https://www.for3.org/forums/forum/pl...nes-or-tablets

The restrictions referred to are on downloading directly from the BBC iPlayer website. As far as we can tell this restriction will not apply to BBC Sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Quarky View Post
              That link didn't work for me. Try this one::

i will be listening, but on BBC catch--up. 12.30 - 1.30 corresponds to my deep-sleep period!
              I gave the new series a try earlier. Soweto’s a good presenter, better than the JtoZ crowd … but the music struck me as rather a snoozefest - which to be fair given the midnight slot was probably just what the Dr. - errrr sorry DG - ordered.

Possibly worth hearing one more from later in the run before a definite judgement, since a - ahem - bedding-in period is perhaps to be expected…
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Has totally wrecked the midweek late night Night Tracks > quiet night sequence.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nick Armstrong;n1305190]

I gave the new series a try earlier. Soweto’s a good presenter, better than the JtoZ crowd … but the music struck me as rather a snoozefest - which to be fair given the midnight slot was probably just what the Dr. - errrr sorry DG - ordered. [QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Has totally wrecked the midweek late night Night Tracks > quiet night sequence.
                    I agree Draco.

Perhaps you are the sole listener to register on the audience figures. The rest of us either a) don't listen or b) [as in my case] fall asleep [though I could of course listen on Sounds - if I could get my head around it].

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

I agree Draco.

Perhaps you are the sole listener to register on the audience figures. The rest of us either a) don't listen or b) [as in my case] fall asleep [though I could of course listen on Sounds - if I could get my head around it].
                      b) in my case (although I would have no problem with Sounds if I wished to catch up from wherever I think I nodded off).

Comment

Jazz has traditionally had late night slots on R3. It was Roger Wright who introduced daytime programmes like Julian Joseph's Jazz Legends and later Jazz Library. I thought this was a good move. As for jazz now wrecking Night Tracks - someone had to do it. Just my opinion, of course.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          Jazz has traditionally had late night slots on R3. It was Roger Wright who introduced daytime programmes like Julian Joseph's Jazz Legends and later Jazz Library. I thought this was a good move. As for jazz now wrecking Night Tracks - someone had to do it. Just my opinion, of course.

Well I listened mid-afternoon to the first of the new series​, and it seemed ill-suited to daytime listening

I’ll give a later episode a try at some point

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 24-04-24, 13:54.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

b) in my case (although I would have no problem with Sounds if I wished to catch up from wherever I think I nodded off).
                            Yes, I was referring to Richard Morrison's comment in the Times newsrag:

Comment

Working...
                            X