• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
    Inteview with McLaughlin here where he discusses his new album via a telephone call from his home in Monaco...

i think the process of making this album will raise some eyebrows amongst the more traditional members in this chatroom.
    I never got back to Ian's comment here. I'd like to hear you propose a better process of making an album whilst in lockdown, Ian?

I'm listening to McLaughlin's new album again. Here's one of the better tracks -

Comment

• Jazzrook
      • Mar 2011

Jaki Byard with Joe Farrell, George Tucker & Alan Dawson playing 'Twelve' live at Lennie's on the Turnpike, 1965:

Jaki Byard - p ジャッキー・ベイヤードJoe Farrell - ts, ss, fl, d ジョー・ファーレルGeorge Tucker - b ジョージ・タッカーAlan Dawson - d, vbs アラン・ドーソンRecorded 4/15/1965Lennie's on th...

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

‘Out to Lunch!’ – Eric Dolphy
        with Freddie Hubbard, Bobby Hutcherson, Richard Davis & Tony Williams
        Blue Note (1964)

Comment

• Jazzrook
          • Mar 2011

Sonny Clark with Hank Mobley, Donald Byrd, Paul Chambers & Art Blakey playing 'My Conception' in 1959:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupMy Conception · Sonny ClarkMy Conception℗ 1959 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 2003-01-01Producer: Alfred LionStudi...

JR

Comment

• elmo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
            Sonny Clark with Hank Mobley, Donald Byrd, Paul Chambers & Art Blakey playing 'My Conception' in 1959:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupMy Conception · Sonny ClarkMy Conception℗ 1959 Blue Note RecordsReleased on: 2003-01-01Producer: Alfred LionStudi...

JR
            One of those great albums that should have been issued when it was recorded in 1959. Mobley's "A slice of the top" and Tina Brooks "Back to the tracks" fall into this bracket also - we can all pick plenty of others, thank goodness for Michael Cuscuna.

elmo

Comment

• elmo
              • Nov 2010

Joann's green satin dress - Marion Brown, Billy Bang, Sirone, Fred Hopkins, Andrew Cyrille. The band was known as "The group"

elmo

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
                • Dec 2010

John Coltrane/Kenny Burrell duo, tenor and guitar only, unique in that respect. From a Prestige New Jazz quintet date in March 1958. The rest is excellent but this to me is the stand out. Beautiful. "Why was I born"...

Btw, I see that Ravi Coltrane has said there's even more John in the archive with live Seattle date due for release in the autumn? From around the same time as the Impulse Live in Seattle. More releases posthumously that when alive?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

‘Etcetera’ – Wayne Shorter
                  with Herbie Hancock, Cecil McBee & Joe Chambers
                  Blue Note (1965)

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Ahead of today's eagerly awaited gig, Ant Law - Entanglement.

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

What Jazz will I be listening to?

Nubya Garcia August prom:: https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ezqmzc

She may have RAH all to herself - thought she had turned into a more commercial outlook.....

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

‘Somethin' Else’ – Cannonball Adderley
                        with Miles Davis, Hank Jones, Sam Jones & Art Blakey
                        Blue Note (1958)

Marvellous stuff!

Comment

• Jazzrook
                          • Mar 2011

Steve Lacy & Mal Waldron playing 'Peggy's Blue Skylight' from their 1997 album 'Communique':

Mal Waldron/Steve Lacy - Peggy's Blue Skylight by Charles MingusFrom the album _Communique_, Soul Note, 1997 - uploaded via http://www.mp32u.net/

JR

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

‘Whistle Stop’ – Kenny Dorham
                            with Hank Mobley, Kenney Drew, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
                            Blue Note (1961)

Comment

• Jazzrook
                              • Mar 2011

Hadley Caliman with Hotep Cecil Barnard, David Williams & Elvin Jones playing 'Lush Life' from his 1977 album 'Celebration':

From "Celebration" 1977, Catalyst RecordsRecorded at Sage & Sound Studios Hollywood June 7, 1977Written by Billy StrayhornProduced by Pat BrittEngineer - Jam...

JR

Comment

• elmo
                                • Nov 2010

Listening to a lot of Cecil lately. This is Taylors group in 1973 with Jimmy Lyons and Andrew Cyrille - Incredible

elmo

Comment

Working...
                                X