• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Another Workout' – Hank Mobley
    with Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers & Philly Joe Jones
    Blue Note (1961)

Comment

Booker Ervin with Jaki Byard, Reggie Workman & Alan Dawson playing 'Speak Low' in Munich, 1965:

Booker Ervin -- The Trance Booker Ervin - tsReggie Workman - bAlan Dawson - dJaki Byard - pRec. 1965

JR
      Last edited by Jazzrook; 23-07-21, 13:22.

Comment

Wynton Kelly Trio (PC & JC), "Someday my prince will come". I've been listening to the album this comes from over the past few days and it's wonderful, fluent inventive, constantly swinging, with some very sharp turns. He was such a great anhttp://youtu.be/-6R-o_mmlq4d identifiable artist.

Comment

My cousin who has just died aged 82 was a regular requester on JRR and his son contacted the programme to see if anything he had requested might be suitable for a funeral. They came up with "At Sundown" by Freddy Randall and His Band. This was played as we exited the Crematorium. We had previously had Marlene Dietrich singing "The Boys in the Back Room". I had heard the song many times but never paid attention to the pertinence of the words.

Comment

John Coltrane - Ascension

Comment

‘Blue’s Moods’ – Blue Mitchell

with Wynton Kelly, Sam Jones & Philly Joe Jones
              Riverside (1960)

Comment

Eric Dolphy, Booker Little, Mal Waldron, Richard Davis & Ed Blackwell playing 'Fire Waltz' at The Five Spot, 1961:

from "Eric Dolphy At The Five Spot, Vol.1" Recorded live at the Five Spot, New York; July 16, 1961Personnel: Eric Dolphy(as); Booker Little(tp);Mal Waldron(...

JR

Comment

Cecil Taylor's still amazing "Unit Structures" from 1966 with Jimmy Lyons, Ken Mc intyre, Henry Grimes, Alan Silva, Andrew Cyrille

Just watching a good prog on BBC 4 on British Abstract art - Jackson Pollock is being featured as an influence together with Mingus " Better get it in your soul" as a backing track.

elmo
                  Last edited by elmo; 26-07-21, 22:43.

Comment

Originally posted by elmo View Post
                    Cecil Taylor's still amazing "Unit Structures" from 1966 with Jimmy Lyons, Ken Mc intyre, Henry Grimes, Alan Silva, Andrew Cyrille

Just watching a good prog on BBC 4 on British Abstract art - Jackson Pollock is being featured as an influence together with Mingus " Better get it in your soul" as a backing track.

elmo
                    How come I overlooked that??!!!

Comment

‘White Gardenia’ - tribute album to jazz singer Billie Holiday
                      Johnny Griffin with Nat Adderley, Clarke Terry, Ernie Royal, Jimmy Cleveland, Paul Faulise, Urbie Green

Comment

Mal Waldron, Charlie Rouse, Woody Shaw, Reggie Workman & Ed Blackwell playing 'The Seagulls of Kristiansund' live at The Village Vanguard, 1986:

JR

Comment

Art Pepper/Joe Farrell - "Darn that Dream" studio album 1982. George Cable piano. Almost the end game for both players, with underlying similar reasons, but surprised how good this is as a session. Art only on the first three tracks playing wonderfully, Joe on the remainder, still full of that fire. They do compliment and contrast themselves very well. Really impressed with this. Here's the opening blues...
                          http://youtu.be/zRvbcZbX-Js

Comment

Johnny Griffin, Netherlands 1964, with the Pim Jacobs Quartet, Han Bennik drums, who seems to be in his element playing hard bop at this stage. Works well with Griff, if it didn't with Hank Mobley who (allegedly) said, "just keep that guy away from me in future!"...
                            http://youtu.be/aeoQnywwmvg

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                              Johnny Griffin, Netherlands 1964, with the Pim Jacobs Quartet, Han Bennik drums, who seems to be in his element playing hard bop at this stage. Works well with Griff, if it didn't with Hank Mobley who (allegedly) said, "just keep that guy away from me in future!"...
                              http://youtu.be/aeoQnywwmvg
                              I have not heard that Mobley comment before, Hank and Han certainly sound fine together on this version of "Summertime" with that Pim Jacobs group

Quote from the liner notes for "Hank Mobley in Holland"

Drummer Han Bennink is of the same opinion: "it sounded good, it swung like mad. But Ruud and I had a tight rhythmic connection, and Mobley appreciated that. Although there was a musical click, his personality did create a certain distance. As if you were playing behind a curtain.

By the way the whole album has excellent Mobley especially" I didn't know what time it was" with a large Dutch orchestra

elmo

Comment

Elmo, apologies, I think you're right, and it was Kenny Dorham who didn't get on with Bennick's drumming. My confusion. It was a quote by someone there a long time ago and I can't find the source. I think Mobley wasn't too happy about the Ronnie's rhythm section but that could be a faulty recall by me again. Age!

Comment

Working...
                                X