Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tiny Bradshaw -"Train Kept a Rollin" (1951), which was picked up later by Johnny Burnette and the Rock an Roll Trio, and from there to the Yardbirds, and Jeff Beck. (Smashing his banjo in Antonioni's "Blow out"). Who would of thought.

Lots of cross over in the early 50s, livings had to be made...

Tiny Bradshaw...http://youtu.be/v_yP-IwOYwQ

*Blow Up"!
    Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 06-02-23, 03:13.

Comment

John Coltrane with Cedar Walton, Paul Chambers & Lex Humphries playing 'Like Sonny'(take 5) on March 26, 1959 from a 2000 edition of 'Coltrane Jazz'(Rhino R2 79891):

Provided to YouTube by Rhino AtlanticLike Sonny (Alternate Take 5) · John ColtraneColtrane Jazz℗ 1960 Atlantic Recording Corporation for the United States an...

JR

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
        Tiny Bradshaw -"Train Kept a Rollin" (1951), which was picked up later by Johnny Burnette and the Rock an Roll Trio, and from there to the Yardbirds, and Jeff Beck. (Smashing his banjo in Antonioni's "Blow out"). Who would of thought.

Lots of cross over in the early 50s, livings had to be made...

Tiny Bradshaw...http://youtu.be/v_yP-IwOYwQ
        What a great track, the birth of R&R .... here is the Joe Morris band in 1948 with Elmo, Johnny Griffin and Philly Joe - Boogie that woogie

elmo

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
          John Coltrane with Cedar Walton, Paul Chambers & Lex Humphries playing 'Like Sonny'(take 5) on March 26, 1959 from a 2000 edition of 'Coltrane Jazz'(Rhino R2 79891):

Provided to YouTube by Rhino AtlanticLike Sonny (Alternate Take 5) · John ColtraneColtrane Jazz℗ 1960 Atlantic Recording Corporation for the United States an...

JR
          Whole bunch of excellent tracks on the bored today including this Trane track, I think there is so much to learn from the alternate takes. I have been listening to Sonny Rollins 'Way out west' today so in keeping with JR's selection here is the alternate title track with Ray Brown and Shelly Manne rec 1957

elmo

Comment

Sonny Rollins - A Night At The Village Vanguard

Comment

I see my Elgar thread has been pulled from the "dark side" of the Forum!

Been listening to Mario Pavone's group featuring the saxophonst Tony Malaby. Been really impressed with the latter - a kind of more outside Joe Lovano.

Comment

"Cancelling Elgar" has been cancelled? The irony. Surely not! This board is strange place at times, especially "over there, where it does resemble a Somerset vicarage at times, all very nice and tasteful until someone creeps in and puts a Little Richard record on the "radiogram". Let that be a lesson to us all.

Comment

What a shame - it was just getting interesting, too.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                    "Cancelling Elgar" has been cancelled? The irony. Surely not! This board is strange place at times, especially "over there, where it does resemble a Somerset vicarage at times, all very nice and tasteful until someone creeps in and puts a Little Richard record on the "radiogram". Let that be a lesson to us all.
                    On the whole I don’t think the forum is like that at all. It can be and often is, a pretty feisty place, in its own way.
                    What is the lesson we should be learning ?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      On the whole I don’t think the forum is like that at all. It can be and often is, a pretty feisty place, in its own way.
                      What is the lesson we should be learning ?
                      This must be like being a jew in the Labour Party at the moment and expelled for antisemitism. It would at least be courteous if our hosts would message or send us an advance email, allowing time to have a last look and maybe deduce some lessons: to what extent was one oneself a perpetrator towards the demise? They could offer a midnight deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                        I see my Elgar thread has been pulled from the "dark side" of the Forum!

Been listening to Mario Pavone's group featuring the saxophonst Tony Malaby. Been really impressed with the latter - a kind of more outside Joe Lovano.
                        Hadn't been following your Elgar thread but it seems outrageous that it's been taken down without any reason given.
                        Who decides these things?
                        I know how you must feel as my Amazon reviews appear to be blocked without any explanation.
                        Which Mario Pavone CD have you been listening to?

JR

Comment

‘Jawbreakers’ – Eddie ‘Lockjaw’ Davis & Harry ‘Sweets’ Edison
                          with Hugh Lawson, Ike Isaacs, Clarence Johnson
                          Riverside (1962)

Comment

Hadn't been following your Elgar thread but it seems outrageous that it's been taken down without any reason given.
                            I know how you must feel as my Amazon reviews appear to be blocked without any explanation.

JR
                            I think that I may have "crossed the line" because in the latter debate about woke, correctness etc., "the wonderful days in the office" pre all that "malarky", I referenced the accepted anti semitism widespread in the architect's department where I first began work in the 1960s . The "Y" word being used by refined architectural professionals and cheerfully acted on, blocking a Jewish Jeweler family, the youngest actually my former school friends, from a premier local golf club membership. "Blackballed". So my mistake, quoting the "Y". Which is apparently a far worse crime than the actual middle class bigotry and racism. Liberals, what are they good for? Vicar? NOTHING.
                            Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 07-02-23, 16:52.

Comment

JR

Jazzrook / SA / Bluesnik

To pick up on a few points, I was very shocked that the thread had been pulled although not too disappointed. I felt that some interesting points had been made. My original post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek although I am not a fan of Elgar's music. The thread was really quite educative although I was quite surprised that there were not more on here who shared my view. Frenchfrank's original reply was suggestive that this could be the case. I would concur with Bluensik as to the logic for the thread being pulled but would have thought it would have been easier to pull the post and other others which linked back to it. Years ago when someone complained about me, I received a message in the in box telling me why I had been "disciplined." This was back in the days of Trevor Cooper who tended to prompt hostile reactions - albeit his feud with Old Fella is recalled with affection. Wondered if this had been the case here ?

For what it is worth, I am not advocating "cancel culture" and there were more than a few on there who clearly did not throughly read what Ihad written. I would no further advocate the cancelling of Elgar than I would Gilbert & Sullivan or Richard Barrett. (Although I would not have a problem with Nathan Jones being cancelled ! ) What I do think is quite funny is that the Classical thread is, largely, far more aloof than the jazz thread and there are plenty of the classical board who come across a petulent little queens who have had a sense of humour by -pass. The tone of a good proportion of the posts can be interpreted as a little bit unfortunate and patronising. Still, I admire the bravery of some who feel confident enough to post their admiration for the Savoy Operas - most people on the jazz "bored" would consider this as defending the undefendable. Only fans of Cliff deserve more flak!

The Mario Pavone CD is snappily entitled "Vertical" and features the bassist leading a sextet with Dave Ballou (tpt), Tony Malaby (ten /sop), Oscar Noriega (cl), Peter McEachern (tmb) and Mike Sarin (drums.) Always wondered if Peter McEachern was related to the Canadian trombonist / Altoist Murray who was a mainstay of bands like Glen Gray's Casa Loma Orchestra and the studio big bands of the 1950's? I think this is a decent CD and piked it up from the Clean Feed website for 5 Euros when they had a sale last summer. I quite like Clean Feed records although there is some pretty extreme stuff on tha label. I prefer their more defined jazz releases as opposed to the Improv stuff and this is a decent record. Pavone was an interesting musician. He was largely associated with the late, great Thomas Chapin and his music tends to bridge the gap between his other employer, Anthony Braxton.

Comment

Paul Dunmall Sextet - Cosmic Dream Projection

Comment

Working...
                                X