Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laura has performed at a couple of BBC Proms, and I recall she did a Saturday Afternoon show on R3, listing her favourite top 10 classics, one of which was a William Walton composition.

She is obviously well-in with the Classical music establishment, and with Radio 3. But whether that will be enough to save her from Ian's judgement?

Comment

Oddball

I believe Laura Mvula was a composition student and it is pretty clear that there is a genuine musical intelligence in her work that I would suggest is almost entirely absent in her contemporaries works. Listening to the first few tracks did make me wonder who she felt her music was aimed at and to produce something as unusual as she has done for a debut disc was a huge risk. I've got to say that I really admire what she is doing yet I can't see her sinking in to the commercial mainstream and wonder where her ultimate destiny might be musically. I didn't know that Radio 3 were plugging her although I am not surprised. As I said in my initial post, the first three tracks were very suggestive that this was someone who (at last) was going to do something with pop music that would appeal to a more sophisticated palette. However, there is a lack of variety in the material which is a bit similar.

In a month when the music press is in intent in lauding that queen of banality Adele , it is staggering that pop music can find room for someone like Mvula. Maybe it is a bit harsh to compare Laura Mvula with a risk taker like Gretchen Parlato even if the former's voice is actually a better musical instrument than the Americans. I think Laura Mvual is worth discussing and my intention was certainly not to damn her with faint praise. She is clearly a genuine musical talent. I will be able to judge better when I have heard the reminder of the disc yet posted to see in anyone else had an opinion.

Comment

Here are Laura Mvula's ten selections of which the Vaughan Williams is probably amongst the most conservative. If you are in to this kind of stuff, it is hardly surprising her ambitions. To be honest, I am absolutely staggered by her informed judgement:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jj3kv

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
          Here are Laura Mvula's ten selections of which the Vaughan Williams is probably amongst the most conservative. If you are in to this kind of stuff, it is hardly surprising her ambitions. To be honest, I am absolutely staggered by her informed judgement:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04jj3kv
          That's not a bad selection, with which I would only have a couple of differences. I actually listened to Ms Mvula at last year's Proms and I took to her distinctive round-toned voice straight away. I guess my view on her song materials would be the same as yours, Ian, as it left no impression on me whatever.

PS - The above may be unfair - there are following clips of Mvula I intend following up on tomorrow.
          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 01-12-15, 00:21. Reason: After-correction

Comment

I've been listening to the album by pop singer Laura Mvula with the Metropole Orchestra. When her debut, studio album was released "Front Row" went a bit over-board with the record which was given some serious analysis that you wouldn't expect for a pop disc. This wasn't surprising given her background as a classically trained musician and I have been keeping an ear out for her music. Weirdly, the album has now been re-made with the backing of the Metropole Orchestra and this is the disc that I've started to listen to. The first couple of tracks are simply amazing in their shear scope. There is a problem with the mix being unbalanced with the vocals seeming a bit echoey yet the ambition of the music is hugely impressive. I couldn't believe that someone in pop music would have the ambition or nous to do something like this and about three tracks in I was convinced that I was at last listening to the kind of contemporary pop record that someone who is in to jazz would want to encounter. Unfortunately, the promise somewhat diminishes due to the lack of variety and the similar tempo of everything.

It is a strange sensation listening to this record as it sounded amazing in my car yet , after listening to Gretchen Parlato on my MP3 at the gym, the musicianship of Mvula appeared more restricted. I am about 6 tunes in so can't make a proper judgement as yet. It is difficult not to be intrigued by a musician who is thinking on this scale (the original studio disc features a smaller band but the songs were actually composed with the intention of being performed by a full orchestra.) The orchestrations are very lush in an almost Disney animation - like fashion.

It is probably fair to say that Mvula isn't on the radar of the likes of SA nor Bluesnik, but I wondered if anyone else had checked her out. I would say that she was pretty exceptional for a pop artist in these times but maybe not a singer who will pull up trees for a listener used to say Dianne Reeves. I would be curious to learn Alyn's opinion.

Hiya Ian,

Laura Mvula was one of the performers on the Burt Bacharach tribute concert hosted by Michael Grade at the RFH. Her singing was as ordinary as pretty much all the guest singers such as Rebecca Ferguson, Michael Kiwanuka, Joss Stone et al. The two women backing singers sang the best. I don't think Mvula's singing is anything to get too excited about, her voice lacking the individuality of say Nina Simone. I think her distinctive Simone-like 'look' did help her memorability on stage but that only goes so far.
            Last edited by Stanfordian; 01-12-15, 11:00.

Comment

Stanfordian

Your post really made sense when reading it. Mvula does sound like Nina Simone but she also does share that air of "lounge cool" that you associate with Bacharach. I've always considered this stuff to be pretty cheesy but on her own disc there seem to be the potential to be more modern. Some of the tracks with the Metropole are lushly orchestrated pieces which mask the simplicity of what is underneath. I think the track "Green Garden" doesn't change key.

That said, I think that it would be foolish to write her off. The opening tracks really made me think that this was going to be the kind of record that , as a jazz fan, you hope that a pop disc ultimately might be. It is probably the closest I have heard for a long while - maybe since Kate Bush's "Aerial" (marred somewhat now by having some very short narration by Rolf Harris.) It is something that you live in optimism to hear with previous records by the likes of Imogen Heep being "cooky" as opposed to ultimately breaking boundaries. Mvula does have a pretty good voice and, as I said previously, I think it is a better sounding instrument than say Gretchen Parlato or even Norma Winstone. However, I don't think she shares these two's musical imagination. Even if you contrast her with a contemporary like Esperanza Spalding, there is a pretty wide gulf. I would say that she is a singer with potential to deliver something remarkable.

Comment

This album is currently knocking me out:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Try We Three Kings!

Comment

Dave Douglas - "Strange Liberation" - Forgot what a good album this was with the old quintet with Uri Caine , Chris Potter , James Genus and Clearance Penn augmented by guitarist Bill Frisell. The whole disc is pretty much state of the art for mid-2000's and has stood the test of time really well. The current quintet isn't quite as good as the original incarnation but the addition of the guitar doesn't detract from the feel of the record with Frisell putting down some of his best, recent work on the collection of Douglas originals. Dave Douglas is one of those musicians who can do no wrong and, in his way, connects with the mainstream as effectively as Wynton Marsalis.

I read a scathing review of the Marsalis disc on line with week but the reviewer hardly mentioned the LCJO and rattled off a number of other big bands that he thought were more modern. It was a pretty hopeless piece of journalism and offered no insight to the record. Hearing the great Gregory Porter with a big band would be suffice to check the disc out - shame it's Christmas material that it likely to seem incongruous after by Boxing Day. I think the LCJO are conservative but they are still pretty good .

Comment

Gordon Beck trio - "Not the last waltz" (2004)

"Recorded live at the Appleby Jazz Festival in
                    Cumbria, England on Sunday July 27, 2003. This
                    is the debut recording featuring Gordon's new
                    trio. Featuring Bruno Rousselet on acoustic bass
                    and Philippe Soirat on drums. This 74 minute live
                    recording features 60 minutes of music from the
                    Appleby Jazz Festival and a 14 minute bonus
                    track recorded live at the Petit Opportun Club in
                    Paris, France on January 10, 2003."

Superb stuff with a very good trio. Forgotten how good he could be.

BN.

In contrast, listening to a stack of live Bill Evans from the late 60s on and struck by how often he rushed the time on faster tunes. Alarmingly so in some cases. Hadn't noticed this trait before.

Comment

I read a scathing review of the Marsalis disc on line with week but the reviewer hardly mentioned the LCJO and rattled off a number of other big bands that he thought were more modern. It was a pretty hopeless piece of journalism and offered no insight to the record. Hearing the great Gregory Porter with a big band would be suffice to check the disc out - shame it's Christmas material that it likely to seem incongruous after by Boxing Day. I think the LCJO are conservative but they are still pretty good .
                      I would not disagree, Ian. Big Band holidays is a bit of Christmas Tinsel, which quickly becomes tarnished. There are perhaps a couple of tracks worth retaining. But on an initial hearing I played the whole LP through three times. So I conclude it may be a good seller (if it were not free) in the pre-Christmas market.

Comment

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
                        Gordon Beck trio - "Not the last waltz" (2004)

"Recorded live at the Appleby Jazz Festival in
                        Cumbria, England on Sunday July 27, 2003. This
                        is the debut recording featuring Gordon's new
                        trio. Featuring Bruno Rousselet on acoustic bass
                        and Philippe Soirat on drums. This 74 minute live
                        recording features 60 minutes of music from the
                        Appleby Jazz Festival and a 14 minute bonus
                        track recorded live at the Petit Opportun Club in
                        Paris, France on January 10, 2003."

Superb stuff with a very good trio. Forgotten how good he could be.

BN.

In contrast, listening to a stack of live Bill Evans from the late 60s on and struck by how often he rushed the time on faster tunes. Alarmingly so in some cases. Hadn't noticed this trait before.
                        Some have put this tendency to speed up down to drugs use.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                          I would not disagree, Ian. Big Band holidays is a bit of Christmas Tinsel, which quickly becomes tarnished. There are perhaps a couple of tracks worth retaining. But on an initial hearing I played the whole LP through three times. So I conclude it may be a good seller (if it were not free) in the pre-Christmas market.
                          Phew - and there's me wondering if I was becoming too discerning. That's a relief then!

This clip came yesterday, advertising next Monday's gig at The Oxford in Kentish Town (if that doesn't sound too contradictory!) Some may find Martin Speake and his considered Konitz-derived approach a tad dry but it made a change in the 'Trane-dominated late 1980s and seems to be one of the main influences across the saxophone range right now. This is interesting though I think I prefer him backed by a guitarist. Oh and I always prefer slide:

Martin Speake - altoHans Koller - valve tromboneCalum Gourlay - bassDavid Dyson - drumsThink of One by Thelonious Monk. Live at The Vortex (downstairs) in Lo...
                          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 04-12-15, 13:49. Reason: link added

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Some have put this tendency to speed up down to drugs use.
                            Yes. I was thinking that but where I first noticed it is on the Vanguard revisited trio sides from the late sixties ("California here I come") with Philly Joe. I thought Bill's industrial use of cocaine kicked in a bit later. His last bassist, Marc Johnson? , quit because by the end of the night Bill was racing two bars ahead. Paul Chambers on the other hand used to get so loaded/"dragging", that Miles rarely played final sets. You takes your choice in the bebop business. Me, I stick to Perrier.

BN.

One of my favorite memories is seeing John Ore playing bass with Monk's quartet and almost nodding out but then abruptly coming awake again as he slumped off centre. Not missing a note it must be said!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist;523047!

This clip came yesterday, advertising next Monday's gig at The Oxford in Kentish Town (if that doesn't sound too contradictory!) Some may find Martin Speake and his considered Konitz-derived approach a tad dry but it made a change in the 'Trane-dominated late 1980s and seems to be one of the main influences across the saxophone range right now. This is interesting though I think I prefer him backed by a guitarist. Oh and I always prefer slide:

[url
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffm9rnaclmo[/url]
                              That sounds great. The drummer reminds of Ben Riley with Monk

Comment

Capuchin Swing

Comment

Working...
                                X