Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working my way through JLU, I thought that the cricket thread was quite interesting.

Comment

A rather unsatisfactory tribute to Paul Bley on Jo3 in the shape of an interview with Ethan Iverson from 'The Bad Plus'.
      Jez concluded by saying "I must check out some more Paul Bley records".
      Why hadn't he done so before the programme?

Comment

Thanks to JRR listeners for a good set of tributes - more welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
          Oh! Well I'm sure that JRR was up to it's usual extremely high standard. I've listened to it twice so far, and there were a number of tracks I found interesting, particularly the first, last, and Ronnie Scott Boptet. But have an uneasy feeling I may be missing something - will listen again tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
            Oh! Well I'm sure that JRR was up to it's usual extremely high standard. I've listened to it twice so far, and there were a number of tracks I found interesting, particularly the first, last, and Ronnie Scott Boptet. But have an uneasy feeling I may be missing something - will listen again tomorrow.
            Well from my pov there was only one duff track in this week's selection - the Alan Goraguer one - who he indeed!

Comment

He was/is? a pianist/orchestrator/ arranger who orc'd French film music and a lot of Serge Gainsbourg's earlier "kind of" jazzy stuff. I have soft spot for French jazz, good and mediocre (and Jane Birkin).That was not the best track from that album. And it ain't a great album. But its French.

BN.

Comment

Originally posted by Alyn_Shipton View Post
                Well, yes - lots of lovely requests! A gentle/ lively swing pervading the entire programme, just right for the 5pm slot.

That is apart from Johnny Griffin's acrobatic flights. Never could stand this new-fangled Jazz. I do hope Alyn, when you launch your new programme, that we can hear some real Jazz, like Count Basie and Fats Waller. As regards presenters, whatever happened to that nice man Bennie Green?

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                  A rather unsatisfactory tribute to Paul Bley on Jo3 in the shape of an interview with Ethan Iverson from 'The Bad Plus'.
                  Jez concluded by saying "I must check out some more Paul Bley records".
                  Why hadn't he done so before the programme?
                  Starting to listen as I think Bley was outstanding but Jez is waffling about vinyl after having played a mindblowingly dull first track. You wouldn't have thought there is a great talent to pay tribute to.

Comment

Originally posted by PUSB View Post
                    Starting to listen as I think Bley was outstanding but Jez is waffling about vinyl after having played a mindblowingly dull first track. You wouldn't have thought there is a great talent to pay tribute to.
                    Still listening and now Jez is waffling about the price of some LPs. Jez - a genius dies. Why not play some of his music?

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                      Well, yes - lots of lovely requests! A gentle/ lively swing pervading the entire programme, just right for the 5pm slot.
                      Er, except JRR is broadcast at 4pm (GMT/BST anyway) now! Are you sure you were listening to the right programme?

OG

Comment

Working...
                      X