Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
    Bleeding Gums Murphy (on the bridge) "Lisa, get away from that jazz man!'http://youtu.be/Uj88BVrF3mc
    I think that Lisa Simpson is one of the unsung heroes of baritone sax. They should publish as set of her breaks that introduce the programme.

Comment

Yusef Lateef with Kenny Barron, Bob Cunningham & Albert Heath at Jazz Harmonie, Paris in 1972:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR

Comment

Amsterdam's Bimhuis has a channel where I found this:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

And here is an old NRK docu on Warne Marsh in Norway - absolutely fascinating:

Comment

Lee Konitz & Warne Marsh with Billy Taylor, Mundell Lowe, Eddie Safranski & Ed Thigpen playing 'Subconscious Lee' in 1958:

Warne Marsh & Lee Konitz - Subconscious Lee.........................................................Warne Marion Marsh (October 26, 1927 – December 18, 198...

JR

Comment

The Wayne Marsh documentary is brilliant.

I think that the Tristano school really had harmony and improvisation truly sorted out. It is really compelling. Listening to his lesson with the students, it is intriguing to hear what is being taught as I think this would be quite different these days. Are students really just studying minor and major scales these days?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post

I think that the Tristano school really had harmony and improvisation truly sorted out. It is really compelling. Listening to his lesson with the students, it is intriguing to hear what is being taught as I think this would be quite different these days. Are students really just studying minor and major scales these days?
                By coincidence I was only yesterday listening to one of my cassettes - a performance by Lee Konitz from the 202 London Jazz Festival. For this LK had chosen a shifting personnel appropriate to his connections with his own past: a trio to perform some standards alongside bassist Peter Ind, an associate from the Tristano years of the 1950s, and Billy Bauer-styled guitarist Dave Cliff, and then a quartet of drummer Paul Clarvis, Paul's partner and violinist Sonia Slany, and John Taylor on piano, playing more idiosyncratic compositions by Konitz and Taylor, and one entirely free improvisation. I wish I had been there in the QEH for this performance, which concluded with just Konitz and JT playing a version of "'Round Midnight" as an encore that has become my favourite version - a miracle of on-the-spot sensitivity and co-inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post

It would be interesting to see how many of today's students could sing a harmonic minor scale from memory. That was a telling moment in the doc. It reminded me of an interview, years ago, with Curtis Fuller who said something along the lines of this: that many students could rip through Giant Steps, but were at a loss when asked to play a blues in F.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenor Freak View Post
                    It would be interesting to see how many of today's students could sing a harmonic minor scale from memory. That was a telling moment in the doc. It reminded me of an interview, years ago, with Curtis Fuller who said something along the lines of this: that many students could rip through Giant Steps, but were at a loss when asked to play a blues in F.
                    Ah but could they play an F in blues?

Comment

Bruce

Wondered if you had heard the new album by Wynton Marsalis and LCJO with Wayne Shorter? This is getting some very good reviews.

Comment

John Coltrane Quartet, Antibes, July 1965:

Abonnez-vous http://bit.ly/inabestofjazz6ème Festival international de jazz à Antibes 1965 : émission du 21 août 1966Sur la scène du 6ème Festival jazz d'Ant...

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                          John Coltrane Quartet, Antibes, July 1965:

Abonnez-vous http://bit.ly/inabestofjazz6ème Festival international de jazz à Antibes 1965 : émission du 21 août 1966Sur la scène du 6ème Festival jazz d'Ant...

JR

I've known the live A Love Supreme since my teens, and I still return to it quite regularly. Pity the whole thing wasn't videoed.

This is also well worth acquiring:

Comment

Miles Davis at Ronnie Scott's, November 2, 1969:

A very rare clip of Miles Davis playing at Ronnie Scott's club in London 1969.

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                              Miles Davis at Ronnie Scott's, November 2, 1969:

A very rare clip of Miles Davis playing at Ronnie Scott's club in London 1969.

JR
                              That was all, folks, it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
                                Frode Gjerstad Trio

I imagine the backdrop contributed significantly to the acoustics in that cloakroom!

Great to have your contributions from the free end of European jazz, Mark.

Comment

Working...
                                X