Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Art Blakey with Nathan Davis, Freddie Hubbard, Jaki Byard & Reggie Workman playing 'Crisis', live in Paris, 1965:

Art Blakey - Drums, Freddie Hubbard - Trumpet, Nathan Davis - Tenor saxophone, Jacki Bryard - Piano, Reggie Workman - Bass, DISCLAIMER: All music, lyrics, vi...

JR

Comment

Willie Williams at Coltrane Sax Tribute, Philadelphia, September 23, 2016:

Coltrane Sax Tribute improvised by Willie Williams at The Church Of The Advocate, in Philadelphia on the historic evening of John Coltrane’s 90 birthday, Fri...

JR

Comment

Roland Kirk with Tete Montoliu, Tommy Potter and Kenny Clarke playing 'Cabin in the sky' 1964

elmo

Comment

DOMi and JD Beck. Strong Herbie Hancock/Chick Corea vibes but they're giving it their own twist. Kids today, eh?
          all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Paul Motian trio with Charles Brackeen on ts and ss with David Izenzon b from a live gig in Bremen in 1977:

all words are trains for moving past what really has no name

Comment

Kenny Wheeler Quintet with Stan Sulzmann, Gordon Beck, Dieter Ilg & Tony Oxley in 1991:

Kenny Wheeler Quintet - Gordon Beck - Stan Sulzman - Dieter Ilg more here at https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Tony_Oxley.html#tonyoxley #drummerworld

JR

Comment

A solo improvised piece from Paul Bley's "Chaos." Shame that I cannot find one of the trio tracks...

Comment

Dorothy Donegan(1924-98), a new name to me, in 1996:

MC: Steve Allen - Count Basie Orchestra Directed by Grover Mitchell-with Manny Boyd, Brad Leali, Doug Lawrence, Doug Miller, Johnny Williams, Mel Wanzo, Clar...

JR

Comment

Howard Riley(who turned 80 in February this year) with Barry Guy & Tony Oxley on French TV, 1972:

Howard Riley Trio - Cirrus Jazz harmonie -French TV September 3, 1972 Howard RILEY Trio : (free jazz)Howard Riley - pianoBarry Guy - bassTony Oxley -percu...

JR

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
                      Dorothy Donegan(1924-98), a new name to me, in 1996:

MC: Steve Allen - Count Basie Orchestra Directed by Grover Mitchell-with Manny Boyd, Brad Leali, Doug Lawrence, Doug Miller, Johnny Williams, Mel Wanzo, Clar...

JR
                      To me too. She possibly had little jazz exposure because of the vaudeville in her act, but terrific playing in the Tatum class, nevertheless.

Comment

Howard Riley(who turned 80 in February this year) with Barry Guy & Tony Oxley on French TV, 1972:

Howard Riley Trio - Cirrus Jazz harmonie -French TV September 3, 1972 Howard RILEY Trio : (free jazz)Howard Riley - pianoBarry Guy - bassTony Oxley -percu...

JR
                        That tune was one among a sequence played by this trio on a Music In Our Time programme at that time, which I recorded on a reel-to-reel and in the 1990s transferred to a cassette, which I retain notwithstanding the very poor quality of the recording. But when we saw them at the old Arnolfini, just along the quay from the present site, the music was even further out - no "heads", Howard Riley inside the piano for the entire duration, Oxley on his electronic kit. I don't recall Barry's having a beard, but I do remember he wore a T-shirt with a smiley emoji on the front - he was always ahead of his time, looking forward to a time that is yet to come, probably not in mine! We were all sat on cushions provided on the floor. I don't believe that the trio was ever captured on vinyl or officially released tape, though as an historical document that would be a rare and valuable find if it was. Riley's later turn to channeling his take on "the tradition" of Monk, Tristano and co through his own "glass darkly" was a vision I never really got, to be honest, much though I liked and greatly respected Howard. I understand he has now had to retire from playing owing to Parkinsons, a terrible tragedy.

Comment

This trio did record together in 1973 on the hard-to-find album 'Synopsis'. Just discovered that I have a copy!
                          Sad to hear that Howard Riley has Parkinson's. Such an unjustly neglected figure in British jazz.

JR

Comment

Also, the 1971 album 'Flight':

https://www.discogs.com/ja/sell/item/1166942997Howard Riley ‎– Flightレーベル: Turtle Records ‎– TUR301フォーマット: Vinyl, LP, Album国: UKリリース済み: 1971ジャンル: Jazzスタイル: F...

JR

Comment

This trio did record together in 1973 on the hard-to-find album 'Synopsis'. Just discovered that I have a copy!
                              Sad to hear that Howard Riley has Parkinson's. Such an unjustly neglected figure in British jazz.

JR

Comment

Also, the 1971 album 'Flight':

https://www.discogs.com/ja/sell/item/1166942997Howard Riley ‎– Flightレーベル: Turtle Records ‎– TUR301フォーマット: Vinyl, LP, Album国: UKリリース済み: 1971ジャンル: Jazzスタイル: F...

JR
                                Got that.

Comment

Working...
                                X