Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Yes I looked earlier across the internet and was about to ask: are we sure....
    Me too. What did Mark Twain say?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Yes I looked earlier across the internet and was about to ask: are we sure....
      You mean - is Radio 3 sure? Rob did a tribute, so did Martin this morning.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        You mean - is Radio 3 sure? Rob did a tribute, so did Martin this morning.
        Yes I realised - which is why I decided not to post
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I remember Rob saying 'It's been confirmed' (or 'We've had confirmation').

[I've posted on Rob's Fb page to see if he knows anything further]
          Last edited by french frank; 21-03-15, 20:43.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Not a word re. Peter in Rob's promo for his Sunday morning stint just now on Breakfast. All very strange. I do so hope Peter is indeed but a victim of Mark Twain syndrome.

Comment

I've deleted all mention wherever I can - including Wikipedia (sorry, whoever posted it!).

Comment

Sad news indeed,

I remember Peter Katin's recording of The Grieg concerto from my childhood - and those memories were rekindled at University in the 1980s as a friend of mine also had the record.

Thank you Peter Katin

Comment

Rob is playing a tribute now. Schumann's 'Scenes from childhood'.

Rob says he was the first musician he ever interviewed.

Comment

Lebrecht has now reported it in Slipped Disc - but only referring to the Radio 3 announcement.

Comment

Al rather sad, and not very good in the way it has been publicised?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        Al rather sad, and not very good in the way it has been publicised?
                        I'm closing this thread until we get further corroboration of what has happened.

Comment

Obituary, finally, here. Lovely video clip of the 12-year-old Peter :-)
                          Last edited by french frank; 22-03-15, 23:46.

Comment

Peter Katin RIP

Very sad to see that Peter Katin, that greatly admired pianist has passed away. Indeed, late of this parish and of the BBC boards passim.

Leading concert pianist of the 1950s and 1960s who started performing in public while in his teens

Comment

The obituary reads almost like an obituary of the world where classical music was appreciated as music. I hope Peter Katin knew his performance meant so much to so many people irrespective of all those trends and fashions. R.I.P.

Comment

Very sad news. My introduction to Tchaikovsky 1 and Rachmaninoff 2 were through his recordings on vinyl during school days and his set of Rachmaninoff Preludes remains, for me (along with Moura Lympany's) a real gem. A great and in recent years, a woefully neglected pianist.

Comment

Working...
                                X