Is BBC iPlayer access is to be restricted to mobile phones or tablets?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the offline situation cause confusion - it seems to be the bit that's being terminated.
    Download programmes from BBC iPlayer to watch anywhere, whether you're at home or on the go. So even if you're miles from WiFi, or your broadband's buffering, you can still enjoy your favourite shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

That's for now though - not after March 11?
      Yes of course it ll be the same .. The FAQs couldn’t be more clear . Look more than 50 per cent of viewing for some shows is off iPlayer streaming . Do you really think the BBC is going to knacker that? The number of people downloading to desktop / laptop is presumably tiny and the app upgrades cost a fortune . I also suspect the number of people downloading to any device isnt that big either. Handy on the train but otherwise what’s the point. ?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Does the offline situation cause confusion - it seems to be the bit that's being terminated.
        Download programmes from BBC iPlayer to watch anywhere, whether you're at home or on the go. So even if you're miles from WiFi, or your broadband's buffering, you can still enjoy your favourite shows.
        Yes, it's the downloading for offline viewing that's affected.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

After 11 March you will only be able to download programmes from iPlayer if you have the app installed. The BBC says this decision was taken to remove the service 'due to the low number of people using it and the cost required to keep it going'.
          Surely, the key phrase is 'if you have the app installed'? I would expect most people to have it installed, as I do, on several devices.

"The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            Surely, the key phrase is 'if you have the app installed'? I would expect most people to have it installed, as I do, on several devices.
            Even if you have the PC/Mac app installed, downloading programmes will stop working in March, and playback of anything you have already downloaded will stop working in April. After that, if you want to view offline, you can only use the phone/tablet app. Or of course you can use the unofficial third party Open Source app that I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention here, assuming the changes don't break it. That currently works with both iPlayer and BBC Sounds content, and runs on Mac, PC and Linux.

Live streaming and catchup streaming won't be affected - iPlayer and Sounds will continue to work in desktop browsers provided you have a live internet connection.

Comment

I guess they are only going to remove the ability for the App to download and time-shift a programme
              and that other means of downloading will still work - e.g any PVR or get_iplayer.
              Otherwise they'd be announcing using a DRM, like Netflix etc and I think the BBC remit is to transmit in the open.

Comment

Originally posted by Retune View Post

Even if you have the PC/Mac app installed, downloading programmes will stop working in March, and playback of anything you have already downloaded will stop working in April. After that, if you want to view offline, you can only use the phone/tablet app. Or of course you can use the unofficial third party Open Source app that I'm not sure I'm allowed to mention here, assuming the changes don't break it. That currently works with both iPlayer and BBC Sounds content, and runs on Mac, PC and Linux.

Live streaming and catchup streaming won't be affected - iPlayer and Sounds will continue to work in desktop browsers provided you have a live internet connection.
                I se - I think!

Comment

Working...
                X