Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Once I've taken a dislike to a broadcaster, I find it hard to be patient with their voice, so I gave this less than 15 minutes. Judging by above comments, possibly my loss. (Indeed, what difference does my listening, or not listening, make to R3?)

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      Once I've taken a dislike to a broadcaster, I find it hard to be patient with their voice, so I gave this less than 15 minutes. Judging by above comments, possibly my loss. (Indeed, what difference does my listening, or not listening, make to R3?)
      Tom has got this habit of making something like a false emphasis or humph sound at the end of some sentences which sounds a bit like the aural equivalent of a “so there.” It doesn’t work on radio where the voice sound is so intimate. It’s a sort of exhalation of breath . He’s only done it a few times this am thankfully. However unlike the majority of people on the forum I think he’s a very good presenter.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Yes. They know that the 9am Saturday slot gets a high audience. They will expect the number to perhaps briefly drop as the RR listeners disappear, then increase as new fans - many moving over from other stations - will tune in for an easy Saturday morning background sound.
        They've made the changes at a RAJAR sampling boundary as well, so the results will be quite plain. (The Q2/2024 fieldwork period began on 1st April, the same day as the changes began; the results are due out on 1st August.)

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
          Well so far I like it. Tom thankfully isn’t providing us with unwanted details from his daily life , reading out unfunny emails and trying to amuse us in the Essential Classics fashion. It’s very pared down presentation and he’s put the Roget thesaurus away for once. He’s also not getting over excited and showing why he is such a good presenter when he doesnt go on a verbal flight of fancy . . There are many less agreeable ways of spending a Saturday than listening to Land Lang play a rare piece of Boulanger - rather well as it happens. It is also by no means easy listening - no Ella , Gershwin , Anderson and other EC staples - so far
          So, Serviceable then?
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
            • Apr 2014

10.19 - and the first Gershwin. Alas it’s ‘walking the dog ‘ complete with its cliched Tin Pan Alley chord sequence . Exactly what R3 shouldn’t be playing - over exposed and one of GG’s weaker pieces.

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

... I think he’s a very good presenter.
              I find it hard to escape my belief that he invariably sounds as though the subtext is 'Listen - how clever am I?'

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

I find it hard to escape my belief that he invariably sounds as though the subtext is 'Listen - how clever am I?'
                It’s that weird breath exclamation he makes . The sort of thing you might do if you’d just delivered a shaft of Wildean brilliance rather than introduced some Saint-Seans on R3. Plus he chuckles to himself quite a lot.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

You'll get a chance to experience the master of that particular trait later this afternoon.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

It’s that weird breath exclamation he makes . The sort of thing you might do if you’d just delivered a shaft of Wildean brilliance rather than introduced some Saint-Seans on R3. Plus he chuckles to himself quite a lot.
                    His great strength is his excellent writing. Perhaps he could just read out some of his own writing instead of trying to be Dave Lee Service
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

They've made the changes at a RAJAR sampling boundary as well, so the results will be quite plain. (The Q2/2024 fieldwork period began on 1st April, the same day as the changes began; the results are due out on 1st August.)
                      Plain to them, presumably not to us? They know that even if their strategy works, it will be months or a year or two before they see whether new listeners have been attracted to the station to listen. And if disappointed RR listeners switch off that won't necessarily affect the station reach unless those listeners stop listening to R3 altogether. But, yes, they'll know how many were listening at 9am and whether there were more or fewer as the programme progressed. I don't expect professional broadcasters to turn down the King's shilling when offered even if expected to lower their own standards.

We have had an exceptionally large number of new members in recent weeks. Unfortunately many have not verified their email addresses to complete registration, which is a bit of a puzzle as the system does seem to be working.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

His great strength is his excellent writing. Perhaps he could just read out some of his own writing instead of trying to be Dave Lee Service
                        ooh cruel. He’s not that bad…

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Plain to them, presumably not to us?
                          Yes, I meant plain to them. What it tells us is that they're very interested in the RAJAR results. The only programme for which reach figures are published is of course Breakfast, which, owing to the increased length of the programme, will probably show a small increase.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

ooh cruel. He’s not that bad…
                            Does anybody out there think that First Service is 'ace' ?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Does anybody out there think that First Service is 'ace' ?
                              Look it’s ok - but as most forumites have predicted it’s a dumbing down from RR. It’s very much familiar classics and undemanding chat with musical celebrities. It’s court 3 stuff really to give a Wimbledon analogy.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Look it’s ok
                                But it has to be judged in context: on Radio 3, replacing Record Review, it's very much not "ok".
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X