Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Is now 80, which reminds me that I am no longer as young as my head thinks...
    But can you still counter 80?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

But can you still counter 80?
      On a good day and in English, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        You do really wonder whether the real Tom Service would approve of a CFM type show were he not presenting it himself.
        I would wonder if Sam Jackson would approve of a CFM type R3 if he were not controlling it himself. But I don't have to, because he has already told us:

'Sam Jackson, the managing editor of Classic FM, said Mr Davey’s “caricature” of the commercial station, which has 5.5 million weekly listeners, patronised casual classical fans, and called on Radio 3 to stop “aping” his network by broadcasting music from films and video games.'

Squaring this with a R3 that is now closer to CFM than ever before is left as an exercise to the listener (or former listener).

Comment

Yes, I think it's clear by now that Sam is a turncoat, a trimmer, a Vicar-of-Bray; but then , that's why he was chosen. I'm still unsure whether he really truly believes that this new Radio 3 is a good thing or whether he thinks it's the lesser of two evils, the other being abolition, ie.e he's been brought in to make sure something called 'Radio 3' (however dumbed-down) still survives the march of the Philistines. .

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Once I've taken a dislike to a broadcaster, I find it hard to be patient with their voice, so I gave this less than 15 minutes. Judging by above comments, possibly my loss. (Indeed, what difference does my listening, or not listening, make to R3?)
            I experimented today with about an hour of TS's programme and have to say that he seems to have toned down his delivery and modified his style to current R3 presenter guidelines . I doubt I'll be a regular listener though.

From having been rather taken with Danielle de Niese in a streamed performance at the Met a good many years ago - I cannot recall what it was now - I find her rather annoying, and her studio plastered with photos, press etc of her achievements was not what I wanted to hear about.

The phrase 'the best classical music for Saturday', attached to this programme, as others have observed, does seem to signal a specific kind of 'easy listening' music, and it's by no means devoid of that in delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              I experimented today with about an hour of TS's programme and have to say that he seems to have toned down his delivery and modified his style to current R3 presenter guidelines . I doubt I'll be a regular listener though.

From having been rather taken with Danielle de Niese in a streamed performance at the Met a good many years ago - I cannot recall what it was now - I find her rather annoying, and her studio plastered with photos, press etc of her achievements was not what I wanted to hear about.

The phrase 'the best classical music for Saturday', attached to this programme, as others have observed, does seem to signal a specific kind of 'easy listening' music, and it's by no means devoid of that in delivery.
              Yes I caught that . A whole room devoted to a record of your achievements.Hmmm … reminds me of the business people who hang their degree certificates on their office wall. Must dig out that MS Excel level 3 cert I’ve got somewhere.,

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Yes I caught that . A whole room devoted to a record of your achievements.Hmmm … reminds me of the business people who hang their degree certificates on their office wall. Must dig out that MS Excel level 3 cert I’ve got somewhere.,
                I might do the same for my Redbrick Desmond.

Comment

Even worse was a boss we had who hung on his office wall a framed colour photo of himself (no-one else in the picture) sitting at his desk looking at the camera. I wondered if he looked at it for five minutes every morning and repeated some mantra. Yes, you've guessed, he was a serious narcissist and we all suffered for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I have a letter from the University of Bristol certifying that I attended (with johnb, as I recall) lectures on The Shostakovich Century - 3 credits. I also have a Level 1 NVQ in carpentry and joinery.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

I have a letter from the University of Bristol certifying that I attended (with johnb, as I recall) lectures on The Shostakovich Century - 3 credits. I also have a Level 1 NVQ in carpentry and joinery.
                      For some reason that brought to mind the Beattie advert "You get an ology you're a scientist". At least your NVQ could be considered of use, unlike so many bits of paper that get waved around these days.

Comment

Oh no, should I be taking my Cycling Proficiency certificate (1970) off the wall.....?

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                          Oh no, should I be taking my Cycling Proficiency certificate (1970) off the wall.....?
                          Given the amount of slagging off cyclists get in York, maybe you should carry it around with you to display whenever you venture out on two wheels!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Given the amount of slagging off cyclists get in York, maybe you should carry it around with you to display whenever you venture out on two wheels!
                            I think I've still got the badge somewhere!

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                              Even worse was a boss we had who hung on his office wall a framed colour photo of himself (no-one else in the picture) sitting at his desk looking at the camera. I wondered if he looked at it for five minutes every morning and repeated some mantra. Yes, you've guessed, he was a serious narcissist and we all suffered for it.
                              Back in the days of the French Commune they decided to do away with narcissistic overpaid bosses and elect whoever would be in charge from the shop floor on a limited period basis subject to future election, and on a pay grade not a million francs above going shop floor rates. And do it across sectors so no industrial or business concern would profit from advantage by poaching. This idea was taken up by the Marx as an ideal way to run production for need not greed, and later by Lenin and the Bolsheviks - by which time they had come to realise the ruling classes would not let go of their power and privileges without a fight they were likely to win with law, police, bureaucracy, religion, domestic armed forces, mass meedja, corrupted politicians and trade union barons on side. The sad inevitable outcome was civil war with the only choice left either some variant of what became Stalinism in shorthand or throwing in the towel, handing back power and suffering even worse consequences than what had caused all this in the first place. Since when apart from social democratic gradualism only environmentalism seems to have come up with a plausible alternative, and apart from pro tem labour/capital disputes it's been left to the trumped up free individual to square the morality of it all against personal and/or family/cultural/national group advantage, with help from needing or having to fit in with whatever just happen to be the given norms.

Comment

Working...
                              X