X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Not run away, but busy (another possible reason for reluctance to set a poser).

I have probably been responsible for having introduced an element of confusion and mixed topics, having assumed that not all associations have to be musical, but would like to think that not too many crossed genres have been involved. And indeed in setting the questions I too have learned something: Louise Brown and Oldham, for example. But I would be daunted if not given a charade-like flag if different parts could be film, book, or play, and hope I've provided hints along the way when necessary.

While I accept the logic of keeping to the alphabetical sequence, it might be nice to allow the occasional joker!

As regards this latest puzzle, now that I understand the double reference, my thoughts have turned to S S Wesley, but all I know is his anthem Blessed be the God and Father!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
      As regards this latest puzzle, now that I understand the double reference, my thoughts have turned to S S Wesley
      An occasional joker replies:

Not Wesley. Cloughie's Sondheim suggestion was on the right lines, in that the SS is a fore- and surname.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        You are ahinton and I claim my £5!

I'm with cloughie, I think, having thought about it for about 6 seconds. Certainly on the alphabet. Also about broadening topics - I think, though, rather than dumbing down, that would make it all more complicated and be off-putting. It's tough enough trying to find virtuosi on the contrabass sarrusophone or the subtitle of Leif Segerstam's 582nd Symphony, without chasing after bit parts in Pinter or the nickname of Caravaggio's favourite model....

I do rather like the idea that anyone can set the 'next' puzzle... But might that not lead to deathly silences when no one has anything ready? At least at the moment, the 'winner' has a certain impetus to think of something - perhaps the next step would be, that it can be passed to someone else if the 'winner' can't tackle setting the next question and someone else says they're willing to take it over?
        We are plagued in this World with things being fixed that aren't broken - let AA be as it is.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          We are plagued in this World with things being fixed that aren't broken

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

We are plagued in this World with things being fixed that aren't broken - let AA be as it is.
            I agree, on reflection (for more than 10 seconds ), that it works pretty well as generally music-based questions (we have had the occasional asteroid in the answers) and keeping it to the three connections. Should the setter be flummoxed or otherwise engaged, then it could be offered to the rest to volunteer.

Let's not be too impatient, and not worry if things go slowly from time to time. It should be - and is - fun, and educational.

Viva AA !!!
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              For this twofer S, we're looking for a patronised Musician who first appeared in my lemon drizzle cake; was fraternally supportive Despite the Firefighters' Efforts; and took a Trip to Asia all on his own.
              When you say Musician, does that imply it's a performer rather than a composer?

And what's all this cake business? How strange
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Flay View Post

The only lemon drizzle cake ingredients with an s are sugar, maybe sucrose, and syrup.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                  No - a "Musician" can be both, as is this individual.

It might lead to crossword techniques; but, I hope, not cross words.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

The only lemon drizzle cake ingredients with an s are sugar, maybe sucrose, and syrup.
                    - a bit too literal. (Although letters are involved - both in my clue, and in the sentence you've written here, too!)

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

fraternally supportive Despite the Firefighters' Efforts
                      I think that's given me Markus and Simon

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

and took a Trip to Asia all on his own.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Well sleuthed, mercs.
                          Still otherwise engaged here.
                          But had been wondering if ferney put semolina in his lemon drizzle cake, not that that helped!

Comment

• mercia
                            • Nov 2010

whoever gets the cake connection can have the T (or whatever) as far as I'm concerned [unless I'm totally off-track so far ]

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

- a bit too literal. (Although letters are involved - both in my clue, and in the sentence you've written here, too!)
                              If Simon's music is anything like his dad's then it will not be sugary or were you seeking the acidic edge of the drizzle syrup? I'd never have got it in a month of AA Sundays as I am not a Stockhausen fan and didn't know he had a musical son. Again the educational value of AA shines through.
                              Just checked his compositions, no drizzly cake but Riding on my Harley including motorcycle sounds - interesting!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                                I think that's given me Markus and Simon

https://www.discogs.com/Aparis-Despi...elease/3301271

Comment

Working...
                                X