This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alphabet Associations - II

OK: here goes, on a new thread if it can be moved with approval from others.

Far too simple, I'm sure, and more Musical Association than Alphabet Association (as I wondered previously, querying if the threads had morphed into one); may well have been a previous answer too, though I'm not plodding through to find out.

An A to connect a castle, a massacre, and a clown.

Choir then tail end of pub quiz tonight, and volunteer work (and my birthday!) tomorrow, but I'm sure some bright spark will have got the right answer when I next look!

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Far too simple, I'm sure, and more Musical Association than Alphabet Association (as I wondered previously, querying if the threads had morphed into one); may well have been a previous answer too, though I'm not plodding through to find out.

An A to connect a castle, a massacre, and a clown.
    Wow! A cunning commencement conundrum!

I can get Asturias to associate with two out of the three (so far...). Am I warm?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

just at the moment its making me think of operas by Bartok, Verdi and Leoncavallo but I expect I'm in the wrong place

Comment

Happy to stay as we are now I have changed to FIFO .....

Comment

The Peterloo Massacre and Beckus the d'Indypratt both suggest Malcolm Arnold - but (having discovered - to my ... <ahem> Chagrin - that Arnold didn't write the Music for any of the Colditz films/TV series) the Castle is proving impregnable.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Oh! Unless we shift the perspective a little and think of Tintagel and Arnold Bax? Very neat!

Comment

In which case, we might swap Beckus for Pierrot and Arnie of the three "A"s (together with Anton and Alban).

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                The Peterloo Massacre and Beckus the d'Indypratt both suggest Malcolm Arnold - but (having discovered - to my ... <ahem> Chagrin - that Arnold didn't write the Music for any of the Colditz films/TV series) the Castle is proving impregnable.
                Unless it's simply Arnold. Bax: Tintagel Castle perhaps?
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

that serves me right for not refreshing and checking before I post.
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                    Unless it's simply Arnold. Bax: Tintagel Castle perhaps?
                    Well done Flay and Ferney: not sure who gets to be the next!

Indeed it was Arnold: far too easy!
                    Arnold Bax: Tintagel
                    Malcolm Arnold: Peterloo
                    Arnold Schoenberg: Pierrot Lunaire (I nearly went for 'epistle', being Letter from Warsaw, but rather liked the Pierrot/Pulcinella aspect!)

Comment

A well nigh perfect AA puzzle, if I may say so Pulcinella!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Well done Flay and Ferney: not sure who gets to be the next
                        You flatter me. Ferney is the Bestest!
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          A well nigh perfect AA puzzle, if I may say so Pulcinella!
                          Of course you may!
                          I'm pleased that my first attempt has met with your approval!

Don't know what the Verdian massacre is that mercia is thinking of, nor what Flay's Asturias refers to, though.
                          Yes, Ferney got all three Arnolds, so gets to set our next puzzle.

Comment

Don't know what the Verdian massacre is that mercia is thinking of
                            Sicilian Vespers ......... thinking aloud and getting nowhere as usual well done to all concerned
                            Last edited by mercia; 05-02-16, 09:11.

Comment

Of course you may!
                              I'm pleased that my first attempt has met with your approval!

Don't know what the Verdian massacre is that mercia is thinking of, nor what Flay's Asturias refers to, though.
                              Yes, Ferney got all three Arnolds, so gets to set our next puzzle.
                              .... and be warned Pulcinella this one usually last 'til Advent .... but he's not up yet ...

Comment

Working...
                              X