X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Thanks, mercia.

I'm not sure that my original E actually fits the bill, so here's another; what E connects a stripper, a lunatic crooner, and a herioc product of incest?
    Take your pick.
    E by gum 2 Es on a Saturday morning long before Rumpole is out of bed - ferney we know rises for Record Review - don't worry about cloughers he supports Wednesday .....

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
      E by gum 2 Es on a Saturday morning long before Rumpole is out of bed - ferney we know rises for Record Review - don't worry about cloughers he supports Wednesday .....

Oi - look at the francophone pedants thread for details of my rising schedule today, anton-me-lad!

Pulcinella - can I suggest you amend your #43 to delete your original stab, to avoid confusion?

"...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Oi - look at the francophone pedants thread for details of my rising schedule today, anton-me-lad!

Pulcinella - can I suggest you amend your #43 to delete your original stab, to avoid confusion?

Well I hate to disappoint you Rumpole but only 78.23% of the PitHeapNation are hanging on to every disappearing ^ of your earth shattering thread ......

Comment

Well I hate to disappoint you Rumpole but only 78.23% of the PitHeapNation are hanging on to every disappearing ^ of your earth shattering thread ......
          En êtes-vous sûr?

Comment

Done.

For those now even more confused, and perhaps to give a hint to the way my warped mind works, this was my original thought, prompted by one of our current perpetual news items.

Which topical combination introduces a missing companion, a betrothed Savoyarde, and a long-standing conductor?

The answer was EU, the three components being Euridice (Che faro senza....?), Euryanthe (I had to look her up to find out who she was), and Eugene Ormandy, conductor of the Philadelphia for 44 years.

The new E should be more straightforward, though the answer is not a musical term (still not too sure about the overlap between AA and the now-defunct CMA threads!).

Here it is, repeated.

What E connects a stripper, a lunatic crooner, and a heroic product of incest?

Comment

- ferney we know rises for Record Review -
              Not when it's Italian Opera, Broadway Musicals, or one of Mendelssohn's duller works, he doesn't. (Actually, today's BaL was a revelation - for years I've thought that the Reformation Symphony was a dull, dreary work; now the scales have vanished from my eyes, and I realize that in actual fact, it's a heap of sentimental schlock.)

But I'm obviously insufficiently awake - my instant reaction to "E = stripper" was Elektra Need breakfast before tackling me Hoffmannsthals!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

What E connects a stripper, a lunatic crooner, and a heroic product of incest?
                ... obviously Eggfried, Siegfried's less famous younger brother.

Comment

Maybe describes is better than connects in the question.

Comment

what E connects a stripper....
                    Sometimes AA takes you to places your mother wouldn't like

This is "Beethoven Symphony No 6, 2nd Movement" by Carlos Mandelbaum on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

(Don't open if you are of a nervous disposition)
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Done.
                      Thanks!

In terms of minimising confusion, one other useful thing is for either the setter or the getter to include a really clear explanation of the solution, which (quoting myself a few days back) obviates the need for participants to google the answers as well as the questions ... and also means the thread has an informative content as well as a merely arcane and puzzling one!

So for instance, just saying

The answer.....dithyrambe.
                      Stravinsky, Medtner, and Schubert.

set me guessing: was 'Dithyrambe' the subtitle of each of those individual's works? And who was it again, who wrote the Duo? I had to google to find that it was rather that a movement (or movements) of each had that title.

I suppose practically it also slows the thread down - if everyone starts having to google the previous solution, they may be prevented from spending the time tackling the next problem.

Then if the whole thing grinds to a halt, it can be frustrating - as I think cloughie found (I too hope he comes back! )

So the fullest possible answers are helpful all round, I think

Comment

Maybe describes is better than connects in the question.
                        So ... rather than the name of a person, we're looking for an adjective? (Like "Exhibitionist", for example?)

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... obviously Eggfried, Siegfried's less famous younger brother.
                          As opposed to Tristan and his older brother?

Comment

A stripper could be Salome; Russalka could be the lunatic crooner; Sieglinde might be the heroic etc etc

Are they all described as singing "Ecstatically" at some point in the scores?

Comment

First two connections correct, but not Sieglinde.
                              And not ecstatic, but I'm sure you'll get there with the rice hint earlier!

And yes, it's an adjective I'm thinking of.

Comment

So the fullest possible answers are helpful all round, I think.
                                Wrist duly slapped and point well taken.

Comment

Working...
                                X