No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting back to the W, are we looking for WIDows and ORphans?

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      Oooooh! Well done, subby - I believe we are. Good puzzle, Cali - seemed tough at the time, then crystal clear once the answer was suggested.

I'm sure my researches into works with Wind machine will prove useful one day - I have the same attitude to all those bits of string in my garage.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Yes phew...

Care to set out your working?
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
          Yes phew...

Care to set out your working?

Charles-Marie Widor: works include 10 symphonies for organ, of which No. 9 is Symphonie Gothique and No. 10 is Symphonie Romane, as well as Carnaval, douze pièces pour piano op. 61 and Suite Écossaise op.78 (also for piano solo).

Comment

Charles-Marie Widor: works include 10 symphonies for organ, of which No. 9 is Symphonie Gothique and No. 10 is Symphonie Romane, as well as Carnaval, douze pièces pour piano op. 61 and Suite Écossaise op.78 (also for piano solo).
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Now, for a change, shall we try for an X to link St Cecilia, a non-platonic symposium, and C P E Bach?

Comment

We seem to be talking about Xenophon here.

The splendidly named Xenophon Kelsey is conductor of the St Cecilia orchestra:

Xenophon wrote a Symposium (a Socratic dialogue):

C P E Bach wrote a keyboard piece La Xenophon (La Sybilla):

Comment

Not to be confused with "Xenophone" - the sound Nigel Farrage makes when you hit him with a drum stick.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Not to be confused with "Xenophone" - the sound Nigel Farrage makes when you hit him with a drum stick.
                    But Xen again perhaps not.....

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      We seem to be talking about Xenophon here.

The splendidly named Xenophon Kelsey is conductor of the St Cecilia orchestra:

Xenophon wrote a Symposium (a Socratic dialogue):

C P E Bach wrote a keyboard piece La Xenophon (La Sybilla):
                      http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/w/8...Wq-117-29-H123

Full house. Why do you not lead us onwards?

Comment

Apologies in advance for a very verbose question, more like a Brain of Britain one than the succint one-liners we often get.
                        It's not the most inspired one, either!

Regardless of the outcome of the forthcoming referendum, the future of my ability to have involvement in an EU enterprise seemed recently in doubt, though I think I have had a reprieve. The outlook was potentially sunnier when one Peter placed me third out of seven, but not so hopeful for me in part of a work that another Peter premiered.

What Y am I?

PS: Don't be shy. We're allowed to skip the Z, I think!
                        Last edited by Pulcinella; 16-06-16, 16:53. Reason: PS added.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          Apologies in advance for a very verbose question, more like a Brain of Britain one than the succint one-liners we often get.
                          It's not the most inspired one, either!

Regardless of the outcome of the forthcoming referendum, the future of my ability to have involvement in an EU enterprise seemed recently in doubt, though I think I have had a reprieve. The outlook was potentially sunnier when one Peter placed me third out of seven, but not so hopeful for me in part of a work that another Peter premiered.

What Y am I?

PS: Don't be shy. We're allowed to skip the Z, I think!
                          Immediate thought - Youth.

The European Youth Orchestra whose EU funding looked endangered (I hadn't heard of any reprieve, though)
                          Britten's War Requiem included a setting of Owen's Anthem for Doomed Youth as sung by Peter Pears at the premiere.
                          The second element is a little more tricky - I've looked fruitlessly at Tchaikovsky's Album for the Youngth, Rachmaninov's Symphony and Janacek's wind quintet ... but either "Youth" or "Peter" doesn't fit.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Or with the Theorboris which is a hubristic Brexiteer.
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Oh! You mean Phil!

Comment

Peter Warlock/Philip Heseltine - Youth; the third of his Seven Songs of Summer, words by Robert Wever (of whom I had not previously ... )

Comment

Working...
                                X