Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Nice sun, BUT vicious, persistent NE wind - NOT breeze, but genuine wind here in Cumbria. Fells showing great horizons, but if walking suggest you wrap up seriously warm!
    At least you had the sun! The wind here in Staffordshire has been of an order of viciousness that has made me feel unwell when I've only been exposed to it for a short time. Very unpleasant and not at all what one expects for late April.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Much sympathy

Comment

There's no let up in the wind today though as it's now a southerly, it isn't as cold as yesterday or, especially, Saturday. There's thick dark cloud but no rain and it feels more like a poor day in February.

Last year was a bad spring but this one is beyond awful. Temps just about scraping into double figures.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Today has been raher a shock to the system. I woke up at 6am to bright sunshine and thought at first I had left a light on in the (east facing) back bedroom. It continued sunny through most of the day and although there was rather a lot of wind it was southerly, so pleasant. Doing some gardening his afternoon resulted in shed layers rather than added ones, as the temperature got to double that of previous days, and there was just a completely different feel in the air. Such a welcome change from the murk, wet and bitter cold there has been too much of recently.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            Today has been raher a shock to the system. I woke up at 6am to bright sunshine and thought at first I had left a light on in the (east facing) back bedroom. It continued sunny through most of the day and although there was rather a lot of wind it was southerly, so pleasant. Doing some gardening his afternoon resulted in shed layers rather than added ones, as the temperature got to double that of previous days, and there was just a completely different feel in the air. Such a welcome change from the murk, wet and bitter cold there has been too much of recently.
            It wasn't the 17-16C officially predicted though - just 14C max here with a chilly fresh southerly breeze.

Comment

A thunderstorm of truly astonishing proportions and intensity like nothing I've seen is currently happening right now in a wide zone from Dieppe southeastwards along the French/Belgian border into Luxembourg. Someone down there has just posted a couple of minutes of footage on X showing an avalanche of hail turning everything white, with frequent lightning, the noise of the hail being so loud as to drown out the thunder. This is forecast to reach the SE and London area in the next couple of hours, lasting until daybreak, and no one seems able to offer clarity how far north it will then stretch, possibly forming an east/west line through the north Midlands.

Someone in St Leonards has just messaged saying approaching lightning and thunder has just reached there.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                A thunderstorm of truly astonishing proportions and intensity like nothing I've seen is currently happening right now in a wide zone from Dieppe southeastwards along the French/Belgian border into Luxembourg. Someone down there has just posted a couple of minutes of footage on X showing an avalanche of hail turning everything white, with frequent lightning, the noise of the hail being so loud as to drown out the thunder. This is forecast to reach the SE and London area in the next couple of hours, lasting until daybreak, and no one seems able to offer clarity how far north it will then stretch, possibly forming an east/west line through the north Midlands.
                N
                Someone in St Leonards has just messaged saying approaching lightning and thunder has just reached there.
                Yup….

… heading this way

(Was mighty over Paris an hour or so ago I gather)

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Twas very warm here yesterday - 22 degrees in my N-facing woodstore. Bit of a shock to the system, finding it a bit too warm for comfort when gardening in the afternoon! The airflow was easterly, although just a breeze, so I don't know if it might have got even hotter without that.
                  There is a small band of potential wetness crossing the region but the detailed forecast doesn't show it as having any effect here - we shall see, but there doesn't seem to be much of it in any case, and pretty fragmented already, so might be the "scattered, possibly heavy, showers" scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    There is a small band of potential wetness...
                    Is this a political phenomenon...

...something within the Conservative Party, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

I do like your dry sense of humour.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

That would be a sewage outfall...
                        However, today is my chance to vote for someone to commission crime, aka polling day for Police and Crime commissioner. That duty will be combined with taking a car full of woody prunings to the tip so I can dispose of two lots of rubbish in one trip.

Comment

[Deleted link to Met Office map, which didn't work]
                          Last edited by kernelbogey; 02-05-24, 10:28.

Comment

There was a pretty big storm here (South Hants) in the early hours but I didn't check the time. The Met Office observations map shows multiple lighting strikes in this area e.g. 0300.

Comment

Distant lightning is flashing way to my north - somewhere beyond the M25 in Herts. Here all day it has been dull with claggy stratus boredom - only 16C maximum whereas Suffolk and the south Midlands have been up into the low 20s - and an increasing breeze which is westerly, indicating that the dividing line - an "upside down" warm front, lies just to our north, and is getting a similar sort of rejuvenation as yesterday around this hour, and from roughly the same European source. Very interesting weather indeed! The weekend appears to promise a similar outlook.

Comment

Paying today for our two days of summer - constant grey, wet and chilly. Saturday is supposed to be better - just being dry would be an improvement; the rain may not have been heavy today but it's been persistent since the early hours so the amount of standing water is considerable.

Comment

Working...
                                X