X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a link to their QEH concert on Thursday:

Let's all go...!

Comment

... today is the equilux, when there will be exactly twelve hours of daylight and of darkness. From now on 'things can only get better...'

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... today is the equilux, when there will be exactly twelve hours of daylight and of darkness. From now on 'things can only get better...'

Let's hope that my solar panels respond to the longer period of being able to supply my energy! it's been a miserable year so far.

Comment

'things can only get better
          Now where have I heard that before...

...Dream on!

Comment

Funnily enough, I've just started my spring cleaning
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

It's quite possible that in the next few months would-be MPs will try to butter us up and at least some of us may turn bitter.

Comment

The 'daylight' part is more than a little compromised here by the thick cloud, sadly - lights needed indoors. Yesterday was a glorious sunny day however, and only 3 minutes short of equal day/night, so that's close enough I think!

Comment

That must mean we are on the Equator now, then!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

That must mean we are on the Equator now, then!
                    ... for one day, serial, just for one day. But for the next six months we do much better than the equator!

Comment

... for one day, serial, just for one day. But for the next six months we do much better than the equator!

Comment

The doctor's surgery have JUST RUNG ME (I can feel gasps of surprise from anybody reading this), proposing adding an extra item to my regular prescription to pre-empt stomach bleeding, which (as I knew) can affect those over 70. A fine example in terms of preventive medecine, which I have always spelt thus, when it should be medicine! I failed to catch the name of the drug - something like Tetracycline.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          The doctor's surgery have JUST RUNG ME (I can feel gasps of surprise from anybody reading this)...
                          'My' doctor's surgery has introduced new staff and procedures, I presume to reduce the pressure on the GPs themselves. I had a review of my medications with a new pharmaceutically-trained practitioner; the surgery initiated an appointment for bloods to be taken, and then a review of the results, for which I am requested to take my own blood pressure at home twice a day for four days preceding the review appointment. I assume at some point this will all be reviewed by a GP. I find all this positive; in fact I have great admiration for my GP practice. Their catchment area is having very large number of new houses built in it and I am by no means sure that they are receiving extra funding to cover this.

Comment

This piece by John Crace in the Guardian about a recent heart attack, and his treatment at St George's Hospital, London is just a perfect piece of writing about the current state of the NHS - as well, of course, about what it's like to have a cardiac event - and an inspiration on a foggy March morning.
                            The Guardian’s sketchwriter spent four days in hospital this month fearing for his life. He writes about his pain and terror – and the people who put him back together

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

'My' doctor's surgery has introduced new staff and procedures, I presume to reduce the pressure on the GPs themselves. I had a review of my medications with a new pharmaceutically-trained practitioner; the surgery initiated an appointment for bloods to be taken, and then a review of the results, for which I am requested to take my own blood pressure at home twice a day for four days preceding the review appointment. I assume at some point this will all be reviewed by a GP. I find all this positive; in fact I have great admiration for my GP practice. Their catchment area is having very large number of new houses built in it and I am by no means sure that they are receiving extra funding to cover this.
                              Contribution from the developer may well be derisory, judging from the situation with the estate due to be built on fields at the bottom of my garden. For 216 proposed houses(likely to be more by the time it's finished) the contribution to healthcare is £78,344. Matters are further complicated by GP practices being private businesses, one of the reasons for the differences in provision of services that can occur within a fairly small area.
                              It is good to hear about the pro-active approach you and SA note, but not all surgeries will take that approach, and geographic factors(practice boundaries) can mean differences for patients living either side of the boundary.

Comment

Thanks for posting that. I found it most informative and rewarding to read.

Comment

Working...
                                X