Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good News stories

Such is the absence of things to cheer us up these days that I have reached the point of finding anything amounting to good news worthy of celebration. And so I have decided to start a thread devoted to Good News stories and items, in the hope of inviting others to contribute, so as to remind us that the world is not altogether the bleak place most of the media would lead us to believe.

Today's Good News story comes from North London, where a means has been devised to recycle hot air generated from the Tube directly into a thousand neighbouring council-owned properties, including homes, schools, offices, industrial premises and community centres. This we learned from today's lunchtime local BBC TV news: scroll forward through the bad news stuff to 5 minutes 7 seconds in:

And become acquainted with our vivacious regular news reader and weather forecast presenter while on there!

I can't see any reason why this can't be put into operation more widely around London.

An excellent thread! 'Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.'
    I wonder if there might not be good news inherent in the very nature of this virus - although we should all be extremely vigilant, it appears to spell doom for only a minority of those few who catch it.

Comment

....yes one wonders why all new housing dev's do not more centralised heating....
      bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        ....yes one wonders why all new housing dev's do not more centralised heating....
        As in "democratic centralism".

Comment

Well, I got a better Broadband deal today, if that helps?!

Comment

I found exactly the right curtains for 2 of our bedrooms in a charity shop. The charity is now £12 better off and the thicker curtains will hopefully help reduce our gas bill.

Comment

Oh, and ... (sorry, this is very low brow) ... I've recently discovered on YouTube that someone has uploaded three years worth of Alan Dell's 'Sounds Easy' show from Radio 2 in the early 80s. All immaculately recorded and in 'near as' broadcast quality.

Dell had a magical radio cabinet voice but he was so knowledgeable about the music, the artists and the arrangers.

I've listened to about five hours worth and yes, the show's really are as good as I remember them.

Comment

Plastic is the curse of our age, but every day new ways are being found to defeat it. It came from a natural product, of course, and to a natural product it will return.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Today's Good News story comes from North London, where a means has been devised to recycle hot air generated from the Tube directly into a thousand neighbouring council-owned properties, including homes, schools, offices, industrial premises and community centres. This we learned from today's lunchtime local BBC TV news: scroll forward through the bad news stuff to 5 minutes 7 seconds in:

And become acquainted with our vivacious regular news reader and weather forecast presenter while on there!

I can't see any reason why this can't be put into operation more widely around London.
                  Interesting stuff - thanks for pointing this out.

Re a later post in which the statement "plastic is the curse of our age" is made. I think this needs to be contextualised. Plastic used in some ways can be a good thing, but it becomes a bad thing when discarded and not processed appropriately. The story associated with that is also very interesting.

Keep them coming.
                  Last edited by Dave2002; 07-03-20, 12:23. Reason: typos!

Comment

Farmers might disagree, but for me it's good news that the culling of badgers is to be phased out and replaced by a programme of vaccination.

Comment

A cheering collection of vignettes of favourite places in 27 European countries - heart-warming on a dull March day in Brexit Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        A cheering collection of vignettes of favourite places in 27 European countries - heart-warming on a dull March day in Brexit Britain.
                        .... of course we are not represented. Shame!

I think I've seen or been to about 4 of those. The art gallery in Roubaix is definitely worth a visit. I'm less sure about the market/zeppelin hangers in Riga, but I have recollection of buying a bottle of something there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          .... of course we are not represented. Shame!

I think I've seen or been to about 4 of those. The art gallery in Roubaix is definitely worth a visit. I'm less sure about the market/zeppelin hangers in Riga, but I have recollection of buying a bottle of something there.
                          Rocket fuel??

Comment

I think this counts as a good news story
                            Seventy-five square metres of farm near Leeds set alight after copper in pedometer battery reacted with dung and dry hay

for the animal concerned but also provides material for jokes and chemists ( what was the reaction?), and a certain amount of 'well I never knew that'.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              I think this counts as a good news story
                              Seventy-five square metres of farm near Leeds set alight after copper in pedometer battery reacted with dung and dry hay

for the animal concerned but also provides material for jokes and chemists ( what was the reaction?), and a certain amount of 'well I never knew that'.
                              It was passable...

Comment

Working...
                              X