Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazing footage of a near-empty Victoria main line station this morning during what would normally be "rush hour". TfL are due to announce a change to Sunday service on the Tube, I understand. Actually, Sunday is when The Underground is normally at its busiest, in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      A couple of consequences of the coronavirus that could perhaps be considered 'good news':
      - huge cruise ships are not being allowed to offload thousands of tourists into Venice
      - the Eurovision Song Contest might be cancelled.
      DEFINITELY good news - there are to be 2 more series of 'Inside No. 9' !
      Apparently the canal water is now running clear and fish can be seen.

Comment

The concert venue for our cancelled concert later this month has offered no-penalty (so not even loss of deposit) rebooking within 12 months, an offer we will be taking up.
        I think that's pretty impressive.

Comment

There's plenty of good news out there:
          1. My fritillaries are coming into bloom
          2. Carol Kirkwood is still presenting the weather forecast on BBC Breakfast.
          3. Also on Breakfast, a government minister failed in his attempt to not answer a question about police powers
          4. Any elderly or vulnerable citizens who are lucky, or irresponsible, enough not to be self-isolating are to have a dedicated shopping hour at an increasing number of food stores.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
            There's plenty of good news out there:
            1. My fritillaries are coming into bloom
            2. Carol Kirkwood is still presenting the weather forecast on BBC Breakfast.
            3. Also on Breakfast, a government minister failed in his attempt to not answer a question about police powers
            4. Any elderly or vulnerable citizens who are lucky, or irresponsible, enough not to be self-isolating are to have a dedicated shopping hour at an increasing number of food stores.
            Often rather early in the morning for some, though, I would have thought, and certainly before their free bus pass becomes usable. But yes, good news, really.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Often rather early in the morning for some, though, I would have thought, and certainly before their free bus pass becomes usable. But yes, good news, really.
              In these parts, bus pass holders qualify for reduced fares between 8.30 and 9.30, and travel free at any time at weekends as far as I'm aware. I'm torn, in a way, between walking to and from the shops and using the hourly bus service, because a further drop in passenger numbers on a route where services have already been reduced might result in the permanent withdrawal of those that remain, and there are people who need the service more than, strictly speaking, I do.

Comment

More good news: 36 bottles of wine just delivered by The Wine Society.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  Of course dedicating the first hour to the elderly means the shelves won’t have been emptied by the idiots trying to stock up for the apocalypse, and they will have a chance of buying some loo roll if they need it.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                    Of course dedicating the first hour to the elderly means the shelves won’t have been emptied by the idiots trying to stock up for the apocalypse, and they will have a chance of buying some loo roll if they need it.
                    Only the under 70's been stockpiling then?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

My cucumbers have germinated.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Only the under 70's been stockpiling then?
                        No idea, but I expect that is one reason for offering vulnerable groups the first hour to shop.
                        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                          No idea, but I expect that is one reason for offering vulnerable groups the first hour to shop.
                          Stockpiling isn't exclusive to particular age groups.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Stockpiling isn't exclusive to particular age groups.
                            It's used so loosely. Is ensuring that you have enough in your house to feed everyone for 14 days stockpiling?

Whereas, clearly buying three months' supplies of toilet paper is!

Comment

A friend in Germany tells me that everyone is panic buying sausages and cheese.

It's the Wurst Kaese scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                                A friend in Germany tells me that everyone is panic buying sausages and cheese.

It's the Wurst Kaese scenario.

Comment

Working...
                                X