• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    It was passable...
    But won't set the world on fire.

Comment

Reminds me of Blandings Castle for some reason.

Comment

Here in Hertfordshire, nothing much happens, but the weather seems at last to be turning, and the sun and decrease in rain showers is allowing the sodden fields, swamped ditches, and flooded lanes to dry out a little.

We had a pleasant trip to Hertford the other day along the country lanes, and it was noticeable that all the floods, puddles, lakes and streams across the roads occurred at the tops of hills, not the bottoms. We concluded that in this part of Hertfordshire, the water flows upwards.

So that's my good news.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
          An excellent thread! 'Weeping may endure for a night but joy cometh in the morning.'

Rare sighting of the local barn owl in the back field yesterday, flying low at dusk George the jazz cat tells me hunting’s picking up at present. It hadn’t been seen here in living memory until about 18 months ago. We had sightings for a while and then nothing after a couple of local off-road motorcycling events. So, good news indeed
          And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

My school friend Mark recently attended an investiture at Buck House where he was knighted by Princess Anne.

This was an achievement to be lauded by his friends and family on three accounts. Firstly, ours was a very modest school and few pupils over sixty years of graduands have come away with any records of distinction. Some with criminal records, yes, but not the former. Secondly, he's the son of immigrant parents, so definitely not establishment, and thirdly, the honour is in recognition of genuine achievement in a medical field by him and his department.

So, well done my good friend, Mark!

Comment

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post
              My school friend Mark recently attended an investiture at Buck House where he was knighted by Princess Anne.

This was an achievement to be lauded by his friends and family on three accounts. Firstly, ours was a very modest school and few pupils over sixty years of graduands have come away with any records of distinction. Some with criminal records, yes, but not the former. Secondly, he's the son of immigrant parents, so definitely not establishment, and thirdly, the honour is in recognition of genuine achievement in a medical field by him and his department.

Wonderful to hear.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                Wonderful to hear.
                HRH must have enjoyed her visit to Murrayfield yesterday. As one of the few royals who knows how to behave, she deserves some good news!

Comment

Originally posted by StephenMcK View Post

This was an achievement to be lauded by his friends and family on three accounts. Firstly, ours was a very modest school and few pupils over sixty years of graduands have come away with any records of distinction. Some with criminal records, yes, but not the former.

Secondly, he's the son of immigrant parents, so definitely not establishment, and thirdly, the honour is in recognition of genuine achievement in a medical field by him and his department.

I'm not in general favourable towards our honours system, unless it's for awarding genuinely progressive and humane achievements, so congratulations to your friend, Stephen.

Comment

Here's a heartwarming story:

Nell had run off during the earlier rescue of her owner in a remote part of the Scottish Highlands.

Comment

Originally posted by bella kemp View Post
                      Bribery!!!

Comment

Bribery!!!
                        A couple of consequences of the coronavirus that could perhaps be considered 'good news':
                        - huge cruise ships are not being allowed to offload thousands of tourists into Venice
                        - the Eurovision Song Contest might be cancelled.
                        DEFINITELY good news - there are to be 2 more series of 'Inside No. 9' !
                        Last edited by LMcD; 11-03-20, 18:46.

Comment

A film being shot in Mexico by Spielberg has been halted because of Coronavirus. Most of the crew have returned to the US; however they have left behind a skeleton crew.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            A film being shot in Mexico by Spielberg has been halted because of Coronavirus. Most of the crew have returned to the US; however they have left behind a skeleton crew.
                            I thnk that skeleton joke originated in Beyond The Fringe. Make no bones about it.

Comment

The good news today is that my renewed Freedom Pass arrived this morning through the post.

The really good news is that as soon as possible I will be making best use of it by NOT travelling anywhere!

Comment

The good news today is that my renewed Freedom Pass arrived this morning through the post.

The really good news is that as soon as possible I will be making best use of it by NOT travelling anywhere!
                                Quite! See http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...151#post783151

Comment

Working...
                                X