Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had another call from VISA re a suspect payment of £900. Couldn't see how to report this, but found Ofcom's instructions for reporting calls to iPhone or Android mobiles:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

But it's even worse than that: given the effort required to set up a bank account, how is it that these fraudsters are able to operate? Surely not all the accounts they try to persuade you to send funds to are outside the UK?
      I gather purchase of unwanted existing bank accounts has a part to play. Foreign students returning home no longer need their UK account, for instance, and are paid for them.
      I sympathise with SirV's frustration at the work involved in doing things properly when surrounded by others that should be doing likewise but don't. When I took over handling my mother's affairs under PoA consent I was astonished at what Santander considered acceptable practice on their part, while coming down on me like a ton of bricks for the most minor detail. A longstanding issue was them gradually changing details of her name - changing Mrs to Ms, altering order or number of forename initials, omitting a letter from the surname to make a different one. When I pointed out that some of her cheques were no longer being accepted due to the printed errors I was told there wasn't a problem, and the cheques should be accepted as the account and sort code details were correct. I wasn't permitted to make the corrections(even with PoA )according(incorrectly of course) to them as I wasn't the account holder...

Comment

Originally posted by alywin View Post
        Nope, they just gave up for Christmas - they're back now. Beats me why the email providers can't simply come up with some way of flagging emails purporting to be about Lume Deodorant and Klaudena and the like ...
        I got three at 20 minute intervals claiming the Netflix subscription had expired - ironically, while I was watching Netflix
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Just received yet another 'reminder' to renew my Norton subscription.

Comment

Potential scam text today purporting to be from EVRI regarding a missed delivery and inviting me to click a link to rearrange delivery. I was not expecting a delivery but still (foolishly) clicked the link which took me to a very convincing EVRI webpage with a box to enter my postcode. It was at this stage I got suspicious, no other information was given. A Norton scan suggested no malware on my phone - so fingers crossed, no damage.

A search for the originating phone number suggested this could well be s scam.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
              Potential scam text today purporting to be from EVRI regarding a missed delivery and inviting me to click a link to rearrange delivery. I was not expecting a delivery but still (foolishly) clicked the link which took me to a very convincing EVRI webpage with a box to enter my postcode. It was at this stage I got suspicious, no other information was given. A Norton scan suggested no malware on my phone - so fingers crossed, no damage.

A search for the originating phone number suggested this could well be s scam.

Report and block!

Comment

I have been scammed online. It came as an email yesterday, ostensibly to update my TV license direct debit, which had "expired", by giving them my name, address, email and card details. The whole thing was lent credence when it came to entering my card security code because it came up under the entry box the way as happens when doing renewals. Later last night it half-occurred to wonder if I should have left it, but checking my online account there had been no deductions, and the same was the case when I checked this afternoon. Then this evening someone from Lloyds bank fraud investigations phoned up asking had I made a direct transaction to some foreign hotel outfit to book a holiday. I sad no. The man said they had been alerted to what appeared a possibly dodgy transaction. After a complicated series of questions to me - what sort of account was this? did I have any more accounts conducted online? did I use my debit card for other than contactless payments, as I had said? - he said they would cancel the transaction - which he then said they had - and send me a new card, for which I could keep my existing pin, thank goodness. It should take about a fortnight to arrive; meanwhile he advised me to install anti-phishing security malware, and make sure messages were prefixed with the lock symbol, which tbh I have not noticed before, other than on youtube links. . I was also told I can continue purchasing using my existing card, and not have to rely on cash - which seems rather odd, but I suppose they know what they're doing. The whole procedure ended rather strangely by him giving me a secret 4-digit code which I would have to punch in on receiving a return phone call. This didn't work on three attempts for some reason - the guy came back on asking had I had the call he told me to expect and I said no. He then asked me to be in for them to phone me tomorrow, and we fixed 2pm, so I can only wait and find out what comes.

This has all left me feeling pretty shaken up, an object lesson in not going for anything asking for banking details or access, however plausible it looks - and certainly these scammers nowadays do a much more authentic-looking job than was the case in the past. Thank goodness banks do have people keeping an eye out for suspect transactions, otherwise where would one be?

Comment

Sorry to hear that, S_A. The EVRI website the link in the text message I had (see #65 above) was really convincing. At least the bank seem to gave their act together. Hope it all works out OK.

OG

Comment

I've just had a message from one of my banks that included this information.
                    I never knew about the 159 option: seems a good one.
                    How can you protect yourself?
                    Your bank will never ask you to move your money to a new account for security reasons. If this happens, it’ll be a scam.
                    A genuine organisation will never rush you into taking action.
                    Hang-up and call us back using a number from our website, your bank card or any banking documents. You can also call 159 and you’ll be put through to your bank.

Comment

You have all my sympathy , S-A; what a chilling experience; hopefully all will be well. it shows how careful we need to be all the time.

I was phoned by someone saying I hadn't paid my electricity bill (which was true, but for a particular reason), and asked me to pay it over the phone with my debit card. I suddenly thought 'just a minute, this could be a call centre in Nigeria' , and rang off.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        You have all my sympathy , S-A; what a chilling experience; hopefully all will be well. it shows how careful we need to be all the time.

I was phoned by someone saying I hadn't paid my electricity bill (which was true, but for a particular reason), and asked me to pay it over the phone with my debit card. I suddenly thought 'just a minute, this could be a call centre in Nigeria' , and rang off.
                        I've always assumed that an unsolicited phone call or email purporting to be from my bank, utility supplier or the like, especially one advising immediate action, is dodgy. In the case of messages claiming to be from my bank, I ring my local branch or - even better - call in.
                        Last edited by LMcD; 09-02-24, 10:35.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I've always assumed that an unsolicited phone call or email purporting to be from my bank, utility supplier or the like, especially one advising immediate action, is dodgy. In the case of messages claiming to be from my bank, I ring my local branch or - even better - call in.
                          I've always assumed (can't remember for sure) that if I get an email from my bank - or any financial body - which needs a reply, it will direct me to their website where there will be a private message. The only time I would give out any bank details would be if I have rung a (usually) small concern to order something and they ask for my details before sending out any goods.

But I know ALL good advice can be forgotten when one is off one's guard. And on the one occasion I did lose money in a scam I made multiple checks to ensure I was dealing with a legitimate business (including to the recently-declared-not-fit-for-purpose Companies House). Another good thing about not having a TV is that I know my licence isn't due to expire. If TV Licensing contact me to check that "I still don't need a licence", again I'm directed to their website to fill out the declaration.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thank you to everyone who has responded. Checking online this morning, everything appears to be OK, fortunately. If anything further develops I'll keep the forum informed, there clearly being lessons to draw from all this, as others have pointed out.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Local branch?

Your kiddin', aintcha?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Local branch?

Your kiddin', aintcha?
                                There's also the 3rd option mentioned in #69.

Comment

Working...
                                X