Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just had two more scam emails from the "firm" pretending to update my TV license direct debit, telling me that the details stated had failed to register the money transaction. The opening post on this thread gave a site to which scam iphone messages can be reported. Does anyone know of someone to whom I can report these unwanted emails? When I went to move one of them to Spam it ticked the box on the left hand side of the message!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      I have just had two more scam emails from the "firm" pretending to update my TV license direct debit, telling me that the details stated had failed to register the money transaction. The opening post on this thread gave a site to which scam iphone messages can be reported. Does anyone know of someone to whom I can report these unwanted emails? When I went to move one of them to Spam it ticked the box on the left hand side of the message!
      report@phishing.gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/report-suspicious-emails-websites-phishing

Comment

If it's a scam/phishing email the email should be forwarded with the headers to

report@phishing.gov.uk

If it's (just) spam it should be reported here:

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/...t-spam-emails/

But to stop getting them you need to block the sender - which may be difficult if they keep using spoof email addresses. I know how to block the sender on an iPhone/Mac, not sure about an android.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks Pulcinella and french frank - I've sent 'em off to the report phishing site.

Comment

This is kicking off again as i write. It seems my card has been cloned and £6k attempted to be extracted from my account somewhere in Wales, which luckily the folks at Lloyds fraud dept managed to intercept. I've literally got the Lloyds investigator on the phone right now - I'm on hold. The urgency of the situation means he is having to arrange a despatch rider to come round straight away and collect the current a/c card I use for everyday shopping etc to be taken for examination and, would you believe it, presented to the courts as criminal evidence! Apparently I will have to use cash until all this gets sorted out - just as well this seems still to be accepted where I shop!

Having been alerted to the possibility that last time this same guy at Lloyds fraud might have been himself an impersonator he is the same guy today on my case. He hasn't asked for any details, pins etc, so I just have to take him on good faith. I'll keep the forum informed as to further developments.

Comment

SA: Make sure you contact Lloyds yourself (initiate the call) before handing over any card or other personal details!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                SA: Make sure you contact Lloyds yourself (initiate the call) before handing over any card or other personal details!
                Absolutely. The phone no on the back of your debit card presumably 0345 300 0000
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Or (online info)

Credit or debit card fraud

You need to tell us if someone:
                  • Knows your credit or debit card PIN.
                  • Has used your credit or debit card without your approval.
                  Call us on: 0345 606 2172,

Comment

I've never heard of a bank wanting the card, they should know all the details. I would suspect a scam and don't hand over the card without talking to Lloyds first as FF says.
                    The usual procedure is for you to cut up the card and they send a replacement within a few days.

Comment

No chance to ring the bank as i have had to stay on the line, but this reassures me as he gave me his phone number to ring back and it worked. I have been instructed to place the card in an envelope between 2 sheets of paper and placed in a sealed box for the despatch rider now being organised, who will have no information as to the contents, to pick it up. The guy dealing with me has had to cancel my pin and tells me the bank will mail me a replacement card with the pin mailed separately, which I know from past experience they will always do. He is now arranging the despatch rider to come in the next half hour, hopefully. Immediately he has departed I will however ring the 0345 300 000 number.

I'll be noting down the rider's name and vehicle number too.
                      Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 14-03-24, 18:04.

Comment

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                        I've never heard of a bank wanting the card, they should know all the details. I would suspect a scam and don't hand over the card without talking to Lloyds first as FF says.
                        The usual procedure is for you to cut up the card and they send a replacement within a few days.
                        I agree.

Do not hand your card to anyone. It is a scam

Comment

I'm sure this is a scam, DO NOT HAND OVER YOUR CARD until you have rung the bank on their number. Use a different phone too, they may well send a signal to your phone so you think you've disconnected and they are still l there.

I worked in card processing for many years and ran our fraud team. I have never heard of handing over your card.

Comment

he gave me his phone number to ring back and it worked.
                            No, still highly suspicious. He wouldn't give you a number that didn't check out but how do you know it was Lloyds.
                            If he calls tell him you left it on the window sill and it blew away.

Comment

I hope it's not too late but I agree with others here - this is nothing to do with the bank, do not hand over your card. Quite apart from anything else if the card is now misused the bank will likely say it is your fault.

Comment

Well the story so far is that I rang Lloyds customer enquiries to report it, and the guy there said it was almost certainly a scam as they wouldn't send someone round to collect a suspect card. He also said they would cancel the card in question. My suspect fraud investigator then phoned back and when I told him I thought he was a scammer he said that from the details he has been saying he can access of my accounts the card appeared to be still operative. He asked me to go and check on a nearby ATM, which I was just about to do, to which two of my neighbours strongly urged me not to do this, but to actually physically report everything that has happened at my nearest branch tomorrow, which is over in Streatham, and which I will most certainly do. I think our friend's just been back on the blower, but I didn't pick up.

Apparently there's a scam phone number "directory" site one can look up on the internet, which may not be exhaustive but which I will now check.

Comment

Working...
                                X