Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
    You mean in the same way that you try to stop people getting an abortion clinic as a way of demanding the right to abortion?

I hadn't realised the concept of a protest was such a difficult one to grasp. But there I go again with my grammar school attitudes.
    Hey, what a good idea!

Following the admirably liberal definition of peaceful protest expressed by some here, I'll make sure I exercise my 'right' and proceed to shout and bawl, and wave my nice big pro-life banner, during the next Stockport Symphony Orchestra concert because of the free abortion advice provided by the local council.

Sod the punters and their silly 'inconvenienced' evening! It's all Brahms and Mahler there anyway so who really gives a toss?

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
      H.R. Rowlings usage seems to be a literary whim that suited her goblins.
      Indeed. I have a feeling the increasing use of the corruption of Maverick's original spelling is down to Rowlings neologism. Gobbledegook is best kept as the name of the language of her goblins.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

The IPO is , of course, an entirely apolitical organisation
        just have a look at its website !

which ( for your information MrP and chums) is NOT the same as me thinking that its OK to abduct and imprison people, or that Hamas are a branch of the tufty club !!!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          The IPO is , of course, an entirely apolitical organisation
          just have a look at its website !

which ( for your information MrP and chums) is NOT the same as me thinking that its OK to abduct and imprison people, or that Hamas are a branch of the tufty club !!!
          No, no, MRGG, this is clearly a purely humanitarian effort by the IPO, and has nothing to do with politics.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            No, no, MRGG, this is clearly a purely humanitarian effort by the IPO, and has nothing to do with politics.
            of course
            Politics has nothing to do with culture
            or promoting a particular world view

at least some have moved from Rupert Bear on to Harry Potter as a source of literary inspiration

Comment

• scottycelt

http://www.amnesty.org/en/appeals-for-action/end-suffering-gilad-shalit-family

Are you seriously suggesting Amnesty International is also a political mouthpiece for the Israeli Government .. ?

You could have hardly have selected a more genuinely apolitical example ..

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                The OED says it can be either gobbledygook or gobbledegook but that gobbledygook is to be preferred as that was how it originated.

Origin: The word gobbledygook was coined in 1944 by Texas lawyer Maury Maverick, who expressed disdain for the "gobbledygook language" of his colleagues. The word was inspired by the turkey, "always gobbledy gobbling and strutting with ludicrous pomposity."

The word was accepted by the Oxford Dictionary after its use was discovered to have been made during the Watergate investigations: "To the ordinary guy, all this is a bunch of gobbledygook. But out of the gobbledygook comes a very clear thing: you can't trust the government; you can't believe what they say, and you can't rely on their judgment."
                (H.R. Haldeman, recording made in the Oval Office, June 14, 1971)

The Plain English Campaign, who should know more than anyone about how officialdom abuses and confuses with the English language, has settled upon gobbledygook http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/exampl...generator.html
                and that is what I taught for many years.

H.R. Rowlings usage seems to be a literary whim that suited her goblins.

Sorry!! Can't stay to argue. I am off to hear Beethoven's Missa Solemnis which is much more uplifting than all this airy persiflage.
                Who is H.R. Rowlings? Or is somebody getting in a bit of a muggle?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                  Are you seriously suggesting Amnesty International is also a political mouthpiece for the Israeli Government .. ?

AI is a political organisation - that's why it cannot be given charitable status. It's just that it supports the victims of injust imprisonment and mistreatment wherever they are. That doesn't make them apolitical.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

On the train coming back from the Prom conceret last night, my wife spotted a sticker mentioning boycotting Israeli goods! Someone had tried to peal it off!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Indeed, the question mark was missing, but I suppose that made it far to difficult for the pair of you to get your heads around it.
                      who was is who commented that "right wing intellectual" was a contradiction in terms?
                      Well done for reinstating the question mark, we're getting there, but it's still like pushing water up a hill. Read the above sentence carefully, and see if you can spot the mistake. It really isn't that difficult......

Al R Gando:-

Living up to your name, I see, Mr Pee? Such a pity when the pubs shut, isn't it?
                      I have not the faintest idea what you're implying by the above, or what the point of it is, but I can assure you I was nowhere near the pub last night. I was at home watching the Prom on the BBC HD channel.
                      Last edited by Mr Pee; 04-09-11, 11:00.
                      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                        Well done for reinstating the question mark, we're getting there, but it's still like pushing water up a hill. Read the above sentence carefully, and see if you can spot the mistake. It really isn't that difficult......

I have not the faintest idea what you're implying by the above, or what the point of it is, but I can assure you I was nowhere near the pub last night. I was at home watching the Prom on BBC 2.
                        Pee, if you are going to quote from me, and attribute the source, then follow that quote with an unattributed quote from another contributor entirely, you should attend to your own mote before you go messing with my beam.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          AI is a political organisation - that's why it cannot be given charitable status. It's just that it supports the victims of injust imprisonment and mistreatment wherever they are. That doesn't make them apolitical.
                          Well, I didn't actually refer to Amnesty International being, by definition, apolitical, it is its widely-understood raison d'être, and the fact that it has taken up the case of Gilad Shalit, which makes that particular example fall into that category?

The point I'm making is that support for the plight of Gilad Shilad extends well beyond those with pro-Israel sympathies, and therefore the insinuation that any organisation doing so is being automatically 'political' is quite false.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                            http://www.amnesty.org/en/appeals-for-action/end-suffering-gilad-shalit-family

Of course not

but it's an obvious political event !
                            here's what they said about it

"The open-air concert will take place in Park Eshkol, a public park near the Gaza-Israel border, with the hope that the Orchestra’s sounds will reach Gilad. The event will be secured and supervised by the I.D.F. and the police."

no politics there then ?

don't fall into the assumption that many (including Amnesty) are as opposed to this mans imprisonment as well as being opposed to the Israeli governments actions .........
                            Last edited by MrGongGong; 04-09-11, 13:02.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

The open-air concert will take place in Park Eshkol, a public park near the Gaza-Israel border, with the hope that the Orchestra’s sounds will reach Gilad. The event will be secured and supervised by the I.D.F. and the police."

no politics there then ?
                              So the political angle is that the IDF are providing security? Whom would you prefer? Dad's Army?

don't fall into the assumption that many (including Amnesty) are as opposed to this mans imprisonment as well as being opposed to the Israeli governments actions .........
                              Nope, that doesn't make sense either. I supppose that's what comes of too many years reading the Grauniad.....
                              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                                So the political angle is that the IDF are providing security? Whom would you prefer? Dad's Army?

Nope, that doesn't make sense either. I suppose that's what comes of too many years reading the Grauniad.....
                                Oh, apart from the missing apostrophe, it make very clear sense, though that does not necessarily mean that a Pee can grasp it.

For some unaccountable reason I am put in mind of a comment by Harold Shand in the closing minutes of The Long Good Friday. It can be heard 2'17" into:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVVrZJaN1IU
                                Last edited by Bryn; 04-09-11, 12:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X