Trouble at t'Proms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

Perhaps, as the edited live concert is now being broadcast the music can be commented on? I thought the Bruch was absolutely wonderful, very punchy.

Comment

• King_Ouf_I
      • Aug 2011

In the Bruch there was a young gentleman playing timpani (not the same player as in the other works in the programme) who was very... enthusiastic. I wondered if the recording would temper his contribution somewhat, but it didn't. Bearing in mind the context, however, I thought it was a fine performance.

Comment

• Don Basilio
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BillyR View Post
        A dark day for "The World's Greatest Music Festival."
        It's a pretty dark day living in the Gaza strip or a Lebanese refugee camp every day.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Perhaps, as the edited live concert is now being broadcast the music can be commented on? I thought the Bruch was absolutely wonderful, very punchy.
          Curses! I meant to set it to record. Will have to remember to iPlay. Did they junk the Webern, Anna?

It's the Bruch I want to hear.

Was there any reference to the 'disturbances' in the intro? Or did Auntie remain with her pinafore jammed in her mouth lest unseemly references escape to shock the populace?
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Curses! I meant to set it to record. Will have to remember to iPlay. Did they junk the Webern, Anna?

It's the Bruch I want to hear.

Was there any reference to the 'disturbances' in the intro? Or did Auntie remain with her pinafore jammed in her mouth lest unseemly references escape to shock the populace?
            Caliban, they did junk the Webern, the Bruch was wonderful, I want a copy of that! (Or a recommended recording please) Auntie did give an account of the disturbances in what, to me, seemed to imply deep disapproval.

Personally, although some have said it was rather a CFM type of concert, (evidently the Bruch is a hall of fame type top 100 thingy there) as is the Albeniz I thought the whole concert was pretty lush!

Comment

• Al R Gando

Originally posted by Don Basilio View Post
              It's a pretty dark day living in the Gaza strip or a Lebanese refugee camp every day.
              It's a pretty dark day living in the Guantanamo "Detention Facility" for the 8th year without charges or evidence. Or in the new "dark prison" at Bagram which Obama has built (and kept as secret as possible). Or in Camp Bondsteel in Kosovo. Yet the Pittsburgh Orchestra's Mahler gig (Prom 69) passed off without a murmur.

How very strange, eh?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

It's also a pretty dark day in Israel where the risk of a suicide attack, or a Hamas missile destroying your home, is an everyday fact.
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                  It's also a pretty dark day in Israel where the risk of a suicide attack, or a Hamas missile destroying your home, is an everyday fact.
                  Is that instead of or as well as ???

I don't see that the Hamas Symphony orchestra have been invited to the Proms though ????

(this is another example of the left wing bias of the BBC isn't it )

hey mr P guess what
                  it's not "with us or against us"
                  some (probably MOST) people are equally outraged by violence wherever it comes from
                  Last edited by MrGongGong; 07-09-11, 18:23.

Comment

• BillyR

Dark days

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                    The days in Israel or Gaza or the Lebanese refugee camps would be considerably less dark if Israel's neighbors, cheered on by the occupants of said camps, had not launched 3 wars on them. You know, like they cheered after the 9/11 attack, footage of which had to be taken off the air due to threats to the cameramen who shot it. In fact, the days would brighten considerably if those neighbors would accept Israel's right to exist. Oh yeah, it would help if they would stop kidnapping Israeli soldiers, too, and return the one they still have (if he's still alive, which is doubtful). So long as the Muslim world continues this behavior the lives of those people in those camps will continue to be "nasty, brutish and short."

Comment

• johnb
                      • Mar 2007

The sad thing is that Israel is locked into an intractable pattern of behaviour which sustains the conflict.

Sure the same can be said of its neighbours but the difference is that Israel purports to be a much more civilized and cultured country and so we expect more. But then, the US makes massive financial contributions to Israel and stand behind it come what may.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by BillyR View Post
                        In fact, the days would brighten considerably if those neighbors would accept Israel's right to exist. Oh yeah, it would help if they would stop kidnapping Israeli soldiers, too, and return the one they still have (if he's still alive, which is doubtful). So long as the Muslim world continues this behavior the lives of those people in those camps will continue to be "nasty, brutish and short."
                        But you miss the point!! They do feel that Israel should not exist. It was imposed on them by Britain who gave in to a lot of Jewish terrorists who were murdering British soldiers. Terrorism was successful.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
                          But you miss the point!! They do feel that Israel should not exist. It was imposed on them by Britain who gave in to a lot of Jewish terrorists who were murdering British soldiers. Terrorism was successful.
                          I had a great revelation this morning
                          God told me that he had given me the isle of Mull, its a rather beautiful place so i'm looking forward to living there
                          of course there are a few people there already but as God gave me the island they are going to have to leave , I was going to ban them from fishing as well as GOd gave me all the fish !

no problem there then

(oh and i'm going to invite all my friends to join me and build lots of big houses and maybe a few nuclear weapons would be useful ?)

and,of course, any of the remaining local children who throw stones at me or any of my friends will , quite reasonably I think, be shot with automatic weapons (we reserve the right to bomb them with phosphor bombs as well !).......
                          Last edited by MrGongGong; 08-09-11, 10:51.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Caliban, they did junk the Webern, the Bruch was wonderful, I want a copy of that! (Or a recommended recording please) Auntie did give an account of the disturbances in what, to me, seemed to imply deep disapproval.
                            I heard the iPlayer recording this morning. I thought it was well done by the BBC actually. I hadn't realised that shouting had marred a minute or so of the Bruch which had then gone on unmolested. Very good performance, I agree.

In fact I found the whole thing rather moving - the way the violin wove its tune upwards out of all the crass yelling, and seemed to silence the t**ts and the plonkers. Stilling the savage breast and all that... I must say I thought of the Jewish spirit, rising yet again out of attempts to quench it, and consigning the brutal attempts to suppress it to the dustbin of history. Makes the shouters look totally stupid - I hope they feel that way.

I wish I had remembered to record it to an SD card so I could have a copy too Anna (now that iPlayer refused all attempts to record it). As for recommended versions, the Bruch isn't a piece I have. I see to remember Kyung Wha-Chung was highly rated...
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

In fact I found it rather moving - the way the violin wove its tune upwards out of all the crass yelling, and seemed to silence the t**ts and the plonkers. Stilling the savage breast and all that... I must say I thought of the Jewish spirit, rising yet again out of attempts to quench it, and consigning the brutal attempts to suppress it to the dustbin of history. Makes the shouters look totally stupid - I hope they feel that way.
                              That's exactly how I felt and I do hope, at The Last Night, when traditionally there are lots of flags of different countries that the Israeli flag will appear in great numbers.

(Now duck with me behind the sofa as the flak begins to fly!)

Comment

• Ariosto

That's exactly how I felt and I do hope, at The Last Night, when traditionally there are lots of flags of different countries that the Israeli flag will appear in great numbers.

(Now duck with me behind the sofa as the flak begins to fly!)
                                Anyone who goes to the last nite of the Poms or watches on TV must be crazy, with all that jingoistic fervour taking place. It has nothing to do with music.

Comment

Working...
                                X