This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Angle View Post
    Angle is alive and well and still living on the northern bank of the Mersey. Unfortunately, his comings and goings are frequent these days and so has little time to concentrate. Things should calm down shortly.

Best wishes to everyone and thanks, all, for an excellent board.
    Splendid news!! Hope they've been more or less enjoyable and not too stressful, all these comings and goings.

Looking forward to an angular future
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
      Is it New England?

PIPPED again! (Throws toys out of pram.)
      Put that pet lip away, JFLL. I think you got it because SCB didn't provide the full answer, he was hedging, chancing it, bowled a googly. You on the other hand spent the time to write it all down in its glorious details, and that care and attention to detail naturally took longer.
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
        Is it New England?

Kostelanetz commissioned and premiered William Schuman’s New England Triptych.
        Walter Piston's Three New England Sketches first performed by Paray.
        Slonimsky conducted premiere of Charles Ives's Three Places in New England in 1931.

Edit: PIPPED again! (Throws toys out of pram.)

I think the fourth official should clearly award the next letter to JFLL for the exemplary completeness of the answer

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I think the fourth official should clearly award the next letter to JFLL for the exemplary completeness of the answer
          JFLL's Opener I think!

Comment

I would say JFLL gets to set the 'O', for the reasons adduced by m'learned colleague.
            (I told you it the 'N' was straightforward!)

Comment

You asked for it, JFLL. No getting Out of it now
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                I would say JFLL gets to set the 'O', for the reasons adduced by m'learned colleague.
                (I told you it the 'N' was straightforward!)
                Oh goody, and thanks for your indulgence, m'lud. I'll get my pads on (or should that be 'mark out my run'?) But I've got a hard afternoon of philology ahead, so please don't expect anything in the next few hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                  Is it against the rules to use a foreign translation like Souris?
                  I hope not!

I fear it is, but I couldn't resist it, having found it. Monsieur Vindeplonk did the same so I claim immunity. Do we need a ruling?
                  If it is, it's a bit late in the day to call in the umpires - it's a regular feature of m(an)y contributions, not just Vinty's.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I hope not!

If it is, it's a bit late in the day to call in the umpires - it's a regular feature of m(an)y contributions, not just Vinty's.
                    I'm glad about that. Onwards and upwards with the cymdeithasau wyddor as I always say.
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                      I'm glad about that. Onwards and upwards with the cymdeithasau wyddor as I always say.
                      Oh, very good Flay! I did not know you were a polyglot! What else are you hiding under your bushel?............

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        Oh, very good Flay! I did not know you were a polyglot! What else are you hiding under your bushel?............
                        Rwy'n cyfieithu gan ddefnyddio Google Translate
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          What else are you hiding under your bushel?............
                          Anna, that question is just ARSKING for trouble...!

or should I say: Dim ond yn gofyn am drwbl....!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Anna, that question is just ARSKING for trouble...!
                            Using google translate is also asking for trouble just so as to appear a smart arse!!

Anyway, we have captured a Philologist in JFLL, I hope he realises we are only proficient in pidgin Welsh and not Ancient Greek ...........

Edit: I do hope we have not frightened JFLL off, but, as it's a Friday night perhaps he's out on the razz ..........
                            Last edited by Guest; 23-03-12, 22:38. Reason: thought

Comment

He's probably enraptured - as any sensible person should be - by the Schubertathon.

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                                He's probably enraptured - as any sensible person should be - by the Schubertathon.
                                Oh Yes, Friday Night is Music Night so get texting and tweeting with your dedications and requests for our 24 hour 7 days a week Composer - young Franz!! Let Sara have your Schubertian memories, tell us which Lieder your pet prefers, or your Auntie's favourite tune, we are waiting to hear from you!

Comment

Working...
                                X