• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    must be me

T

at 3am Dr Griffin's wife goes wild ........... or is it Ms Frasi
    ?

Giulia Frasi sand the title role in the première of Theodora...

Might that be it?

It includes the sublime aria

As with rosy steps the morn,
    Advancing, drives the shades of night,

... which might just about happen at 3am on a clear midsummer's day...

I have a feeling I'm up a gumtree, barking...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Giulia Frasi sand the title role in the première of Theodora...

Might that be it?
      indeed it might

3am [written in full] is a song title

Comment

3am [written in full] is a song title
        ........ and Dr Griffin's wife was an actress (not called Theodora )

Comment

........ and Dr Griffin's wife was an actress (not called Theodora )
          Magnificent, mercs!! What a great discovery!!

That's how I imagine Anna, being borne aloft by ammy after solving a particularly troublesome puzzle...

Ms Dunne was Dr Griffiths's wife.

Haven't had any luck with the song yet....

Comment

ultimately it's the lyricist you're after

EDIT - 3pm would be "three o'clock in the afternoon"

Comment

Magnificent, mercs!! What a great discovery!!

That's how I imagine Anna, being borne aloft by ammy after solving a particularly troublesome puzzle...

Ms Dunne was Dr Griffiths's wife.

As Melvyn Douglas is described on wiki as "a suave leading man" how could I possibly demur

I'll leave it to Anna to assent to being played by Ms Dunne - I think she's a cracker and offer this clip in evidence, m'lud

Irene Dunne appears as a mystery guest on the long-running CBS television program "What's My Line?" Dated February 1st, 1953.

My, how easily we were entertained in 1953
              Last edited by Guest; 26-07-12, 17:59. Reason: trypo

Comment

ultimately it's the lyricist you're after

EDIT - 3pm would be "three o'clock in the afternoon"

You really want me to solve this, don't you! Thanks mercia - your velvet carpet of clues has led me to the well known () Theodora Morse http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodora_Morse who inter alia wrote the lyrics to "Three O'Clock in the Morning"

I have to dash out. I'll think of a U as I go and be back a little later. Could I trouble you to throw together a quick dish of coleslaw for tea er... T?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  As Melvyn Douglas is described on wiki as "a suave leading man" how could I possibly demur

I'll leave it to Anna to assent to being played by Ms Dunne - I think she's a cracker and offer this clip in evidence, m'lud
                  I had no intention of defaming anyone and indeed was certain it would all be seen as a rather galant compliment to the relevant parties!

Comment

I had no intention of defaming anyone and indeed was certain it would all be seen as a rather galant compliment to the relevant parties!
                    I've told you before about mentioning parties in front of Anna, Cali! She's very suggestible and that goes down as provocation in my book

Comment

Could I trouble you to throw together a quick dish of coleslaw for tea er... T?
                      by all means

Theodora Morse, lyricist of "Three o'clock in the morning" a "popular goodnight waltz"
                      Theodora Goes Wild, a 1936 film starring Irene Dunne (wife of dentist Dr Francis Griffin)
                      Theodora, 1749 opera by Handel, premiered with Giulia Frasi as the eponymous heroine

"Three O'Clock in the Morning"Waltz Song with ChimesWords by Dorothy Terriss [pseud. for Dolly Morse, 1890-1953]Music by Julian Robledo, 1887-1940Revised by ...

Just wanted to upload this clip for Irene Dunne's birthday today. She is, by far, my favorite actress and I feel like she is one of the most underrated actre...

Alfred Deller interpreting Sweet rose and lily for Theodora de Handel.AirDidymusSweet rose and lily, flow'ry form,Take me your faithful guard,To shield you f...
                      Last edited by mercia; 26-07-12, 19:24.

Comment

by all means
                        Thank you mercia

This 60s U was conceived by a public body, brought before the public by Maurice and is now for the first time in feminine hands.

Comment

I'm tempted to suggest the Ulster Orchestra, except that I used it quite recently in a 'U' question.
                          It was founded in 1966 with Arts Council funding and its new Principal Conductor is JoAnn Falletta.
                          I don't know about Maurice, so I may well be on the wrong track.

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                            I'm tempted to suggest the Ulster Orchestra, except that I used it quite recently in a 'U' question.
                            It was founded in 1966 with Arts Council funding and its new Principal Conductor is JoAnn Falletta.
                            I don't know about Maurice, so I may well be on the wrong track.
                            The first Principal Conductor was Maurice Miles.

Comment

Ah...thank you!

Comment

Sorry I've not been playing today. I've just finished masticating in the shower. I had the day off but Mrs F had me Under orders - a long list of jobs, only just completed!

Last night the neighbours were listening (at full volume and with the windows open) to the Lloyd Webber thingy about choosing a Jesus. I commented how awful it was. She announced that JC Superstar would be on during her birthday weekend in October and she wanted to go because Chris Moyles would be in it ("he's nice to his mum"), so I was charged with getting seats for us, even though I had warned her that they would be expensive and probably sold out. But she insisted.
                                So I booked a couple of the few last available tickets for the Sunday night at the Sheffield Arena at incredible cost (last row top tier three quarters of the way back so she will complain that it is too hot, too far back, everyone in the way etc.)

Job well done, I thought. When I proudly told her of my achievement she told me that she had said to book the Nottingham Arena on the Saturday night - it is an extra performance so there would have been much better seats, a better night to be going out, we could have had the day in Nottingham, etc etc.

Doghouse again!
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X