This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
    I was just thinking, has anyone heard from Sigolene lately?
    Sigolene is on-line now (Fretwork thread)
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Yes, in the sense of dissolute, but attractive, nonetheless...
      I can't really give a synonym for the latter as it's a well-known and widely-used musical phrase.
      ah - something like pianissimo with an R :-)
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

That musical phrase - single word? English? Italian/French/German? Are you looking for a single-word answer?

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          That musical phrase - single word? English? Italian/French/German? Are you looking for a single-word answer?
          Single word answer

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Nah mate... Fun here isn't it? But Rubbers is right to issue a slight call to order, perhaps.
            A thread and a half.

Clueless as usual

As an ex-Corrie fan I am desperately looking for non-Weatherfield tangents. I suppose the solution is just to start watching again. P Barlow was always a hero, and as for his sister-by-marriage...

Comment

Sorry, time to go - no doubt the answer will have appeared by the morning in monochrome print.

Tapiola - Whatever you do, don't miss tomorrow evening's two episodes, although it would help if you could watch the last couple of episodes beforehand.

Comment

Yes, in the sense of dissolute, but attractive, nonetheless...
                I can't really give a synonym for the latter as it's a well-known and widely-used musical phrase.
                As in Serge Gainsbourg. Now there's louche and a half! Or, even, Leonard Cohen. Yes it has gone a bit weird here. I blame the Welsh.

Going now to read about Crimean War, which will be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                  That musical phrase - single word? English? Italian/French/German?
                  I should perhaps make clear that when I said a musical phrase I meant a tune. Think of death.

I'm thinking of sleep (and dreams of Ffion).

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

To my almost negligible surprise, I found Ffion crops up on this site too:

http://www.eroticchatbots.com/chatbot/ffion/
                    Dare one ask what you were searching for ...to 'stumble' across this site?

Comment

Requiem?

Risque?

Comment

I have no notion for the R at the moment, but could the central allusion be to there being a black version, in the sense of, say, 'Black Orpheus'?

Comment

Oh dear, I really didn't think solving this R puzzle was going to become quite as protracted as this. Or maybe the weekend's consumption of Pimms, Gin, Weissebier, and whatever Anna was on, seems to have dulled the normally razor-sharp senses?

The answer is one word. Three really well-known musical works are involved, naming any one of which will quickly give you the R and the other two.

At last, I'm going to catch up on the repeat of the Tony Palmer documentary I missed on Friday. Thank god for BBC4 and the i-player. I still miss the South Bank show, though...
                          Last edited by Guest; 14-02-11, 11:03. Reason: corrected Sat to Fri

Comment

Rhapsody?

Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) for louche;
                            Rhapsody in Blue (Gershwin) for monochrome;I cannot think of the last element though.

Comment

Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini (which includes the Dies Irae theme).

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
                                Dare one ask what you were searching for ...to 'stumble' across this site?
                                No bravado required for the question, BtS: I think the search was Ffion "Welsh Water"

Poor old hercule had a cheerful early start....

Originally posted by hercule
                                Today 05:05 deathly undertoned - lamentoso? grave? flebile? estinto? espirando? dolente? ...

tod? mort? funebre? funerailles? solenne? perdendosi? morendo? mesto? lugubre? dirge?

flebile???

And rubbers - yes, I was watching the Tony Palmer doc yesterday, great to see the archive film of Rachmaninov... But what do you think about the elderly Gielgud's voicing?

Re your 'R': oh dear, indeed...
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X