• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David?

Comment

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
      David?
      Yes!! Now connect that to a master of the vibes in jazz and you'll be 100% korrect!

Comment

Dave Samuels? (Way outside my comfort zone here )

Comment

OK, let's wrap this up, I hate to think of you discomforted!
          Lionel Hampton and his King David Suite is the last missing element (known for his vibraphone playing)
          So, to recap, the other ones were:
          Sousa - King Cotton March
          Dowland - King of Denmark's Gailliard
          There is also King David by Honegger of course which may have been simpler than the Hampton ....

So, work permitting, the L is yours, but as it's Friday afternoon don't rush. Gosh, I am so looking forward to the weekend and some relaxation, been a stressful week, as I suspect it has been for some others here .......

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Yes!! Now connect that to a master of the vibes in jazz and you'll be 100% korrect!
            Lionel Hampton is the king of the vibes... haven't got time to do any digging and don't know any of his signature tracks / albums...

EDIT - Anna's cross-posted the answer
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Lionel Hampton had a strong interest in Judaism and raised a lot of money for Israel. In 1953 he composed the King David suite and performed it in Israel with the Boston Pops Orchestra. He later became a Christian Scientist rather than converting to Judaism. Bit of trivia.

Comment

My computer just crashed at the stupidity of my last response. There's the "innate hostility of inanimate objects", but when they start to mock you, it's time to call it quits!

As for L, I am afraid I must pass the mantLe to someone more consistentLy deserving. Any takers? Whilst we are on L, I think a Listen to Ligeti's Lontano when I get home in an unLit room may be in order.

Bon chance mes amis.

Comment

My computer just crashed at the stupidity of my last response. There's the "innate hostility of inanimate objects", but when they start to mock you, it's time to call it quits!

Comment

Lionel Hampton had a strong interest in Judaism and raised a lot of money for Israel. In 1953 he composed the King David suite and performed it in Israel with the Boston Pops Orchestra. He later became a Christian Scientist rather than converting to Judaism. Bit of trivia.
                    Sounds like an example of what Cloughie called a 'Caliban-style FACTOID'

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Lionel Hampton is the king of the vibes... haven't got time to do any digging and don't know any of his signature tracks / albums...
                      You could do with a little Stardust in your life, Calibs. Get out more. Stop trying to beat Ammy for title of most prolific poster

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Sounds like an example of what Cloughie called a 'Caliban-style FACTOID'
                        I was obviously taught by The Master ........

Comment

I was obviously taught by The Master ........

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                            You could do with a little Stardust in your life, Calibs. Get out more. Stop trying to beat Ammy for title of most prolific poster

PS: Your comment has made me check out Ammy's vital statistics - heading for 6,000 posts, ygad!! I'd honestly never noticed.... We have some ground to make up!
                            Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 27-04-12, 17:15.

Comment

Boys, Boys, stop fighting!! (Boys? Oh Come On, how can you still be referred to as Boys at your age?) You know, I blame it on Class Warfare, an Honest Grammar School Oik versus the worst of Dave Cameron's Posh Boy sub-culture!

Anyway, the L is up for grabs, feel free to throw your bonnets over the windmill. I shall be offline shortly for the evening, it matters not to me as to who grabs the bridesmaid's bouquet.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... yea, let us not forget the motto of Springfield* - "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

* The Simpsons - natch...
                                Oh The Simpsons, thank goodness!

I was sure that dear Dusty would never say anything like that

Comment

Working...
                                X