This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Here, hark at 'er. Don't bother me I haven't got time for the lilkes of you! She's no better than she ought to be,......
    Uh-oh...! There's gonna be trouble!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

A recap for the morning shift, adding the info obtained by Cloughie to the original puzzle.

You're after an M to link

(1) Lotte - (not Lenya) in her capacity as teacher
      (2) Larry - Olivier, in his capacity as actor/manager
      (3) Lenny - Bernstein, in his capacity as conductor

Comment

well ............ I put Lehmann and Olivier into a search box and it came up with Nan Merriman, but no connection to Bernstein (except she's on a recording of his first symphony). Lehmann's teaching duties seemed to have centred on the Music Academy of the West at Santa Barbara but no particular Ms there
        Bumbry, Barone, Valente were pupils. Lots of websites like to tell me that Lehmann was an influential teacher but don't want to tell me whom she taught The website of the Lotte Lehmann Foundation doesn't detail any graduates. Thomas Moser was a pupil I think and has been conducted by Bernstein. Is the M just one person or two or three, or not even a person? Are we saying that Olivier and Bernstein collaborated on something ?

I guess we haven't even established yet if Lehmann is the correct Lotte in which case I've been rather wasting my time

just letting you know of my (non) progress

this is the point at which rubbernecker or vinteuil pop up and say "well of course the answer is ............ what else could it be ? "
        Last edited by mercia; 05-05-12, 06:38.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          progress
          Indeed!

Rather an unusual early awakening here, so allow me to pop up and say: you got the answer

Nan Merriman it is

She was taught by Lotte Lehmann in California in the 30s, spotted by Olivier and took part in his 1940 tour of Romeo and Juliet with Vivien Leigh, and sang many times with Bernstein in his early career, esp on the first recording in 1945 of his First Symphony.

Here she is with him in Mahler's 2nd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO8HaYrYDxo

Hope you can provide an N to start the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Nan Merriman it is

She was taught by Lotte Lehmann in California in the 30s
            oh I didn't see that anywhere - I thought they were just performing colleagues

<doh> now to set a question

Comment

now to set a question

PS I confess when setting the question I was mistakenly thinking of Merriman having recorded 'Das Lied von der Erde' with Lenny, but I find it was with Jochum http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Das-Lie.../dp/B000056TKE

I was relieved to find other recordings evidencing Merriman's and Bernstein's work together

Comment

N

- Hafiz at the Fountain
                - Schiller
                - funeral

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

PS I confess when setting the question I was mistakenly thinking of Merriman having recorded 'Das Lied von der Erde' with Lenny, but I find it was with Jochum http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Das-Lie.../dp/B000056TKE

I was relieved to find other recordings evidencing Merriman's and Bernstein's work together
                  None of it was any use to me as I had not heard of Merriman and didn't unearth her in my googlings - otherwise a good one Cali.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    A bit like the location of Radnor innit ....... which is in The Marches, not West of it!

Comment

But it's all very vague
                      Praise indeed!

Comment

Here, hark at 'er. Don't bother me I haven't got time for the lilkes of you! She's no better than she ought to be,......
                        I do apologise for not being able to play last night but I really couldn't neglect my visitors, I really didn't have time to complete and then think of a new one, I had intended to do so this morning. So I hope I am forgiven.
                        I do however think I know mercia's N so I can have a go at that on the basis that I'm having to leave at 10.30 for an hour but I have a very easy O, or I can leave it until I get back and let others have a go at the N.

Comment

I know mercia's N so I can have a go at that on the basis that I'm having to leave at 10.30 for an hour but I have a very easy O
                          that would be lovely of you

Comment

that would be lovely of you
                            I just feel rather guilty about last night, leaving Caliban in the lurch.
                            OK, I think your N (sorry, forget how to do umlauts) is Nanie (funeral song) by Brahms, who set to music the poem Nanie by Schiller and was composed in memory of Anselm Feuerbach, who painted Hafiz at the Fountain. Edit: I'll wait for confirmation of course
                            Last edited by Guest; 05-05-12, 10:15. Reason: typo

Comment

N (sorry, forget how to do umlauts) is Nanie (funeral song) by Brahms, who set to music the poem Nanie by Schiller and was composed in memory of Anselm Feuerbach, who painted Hafiz at the Fountain.
                              beautifully presented details and of course

correct

over to you

Comment

over to you
                                OK. A very simple, light hearted as it's Saturday morning, shouldn't detain anyone for long and I'll be back by 11.45 and it'll be solved.

Three of the same, all composers, all from the same period:

A linking O:- I wish he’d change the Record; it’s enough to drive a Saint to Tears; Ssh John, don’t wake him up!
                                Last edited by Guest; 05-05-12, 12:23. Reason: tidying up

Comment

Working...
                                X