X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a feeling this question is very cryptic and possibly rather technical, would it be to do with chords?

Comment

Intervals?

Inversions?

Comment

Ana, I assure you it is very straightforward. Nothing to do with chords, though it is technical-related.

I hope no-one got needled by my previous mistakes...

Comment

Sorry, neither intervals nor inversions.

I've just dropped another clue. And another...

Comment

Inches as in record sizes?

Comment

Originally posted by BetweenTheStaves View Post
              Inches as in record sizes?
              That has to be right BtS, although Mr. Google tells me that 16" records were also produced (for use by broadcasting stations)

Comment

Bingo, BTS.

All record sizes, except (to my knowledge) for 9, which refers to a band...

(I have to run now, but the honour of "J" belongs to you, BTS. If you or someone else can name the band, all the better.)

Comment

Can't name the band (Nine Inch Nails?) but the Seeburg Corporation introduced their Background Music System in 1959, using a 16⅔ rpm 9-inch record with 2-inch center hole. Each record held 40 minutes of music per side, recorded at 420 grooves per inch. And I must dash now to the kitchen after leaving you with some more trivia!

Comment

Oh so so hard to come up with a clue that is neither too easy nor too hard. You think you have something only to stick a few key words in Google and up pops the answer. Still thinking.

Comment

OK.

From an area in Italy in 1847 to a fire in London in 1916 to a bassoonist turned singer in 1975. J is common to all.

Comment

BtS, your avatar? <shriek> That's new! Or am I not observant? Is that a hommage to the Sigourney Weaver film Gorillas in the Mist? I have to bow out for now, intensive cooking and nursing an incipient cold, will look in later. When no doubt it will be solved.

Comment

LOL...no, only just gone up and so you're not losing the plot

It was taken when we went to the orangutan sanctuary at Sepilok, Borneo.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            Can't name the band (Nine Inch Nails?) but the Seeburg Corporation introduced their Background Music System in 1959, using a 16⅔ rpm 9-inch record with 2-inch center hole. Each record held 40 minutes of music per side, recorded at 420 grooves per inch. And I must dash now to the kitchen after leaving you with some more trivia!
                            I stand corrected over the 9 inch!

And yes, the band is 9 Inch Nails.

Comment

Great photo BTS.

For a moment I thought it was one of my neighbours.

Comment

BtS, it's odd but like a lot of people I have a great aversion to monkeys, or those of the monkey family. I am sure someone has documented this (Jung? Probably not! David Attenbrough? Probably) but it is the fact that when you look into their eyes they are so human that it is frightening that they are close to you genetically. And they seem to want to talk to you. Which is scary because I don't want to talk to them. That does sound very cruel.

Oops, very off-topic here and going now. Hazard an answer later

It's Jack or Jezebel. Or not.
                                Last edited by Guest; 18-02-11, 21:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X