• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Not that..
    Should have been three Vs then

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      Should have been three Vs then
      Didn't know the Peacock variations was based on a vocal piece, in fact... but if so: then yes!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
        We've got Caliban back in after who knows what seasonal excesses, at least.
        Let's hope this will encourage others to return and/or join in the fun!
        I would describe my 'U' question as 'eclectic' rather 'elitist': Stan Tracey offered one lot of music lovers a way in, and Richard Rodgers another (assuming, of course, that you don't associate him exclusively with musicals, and didn't realize or remember that he was relatively recently CoTW). The four names between them were also intended to attract the attention of different age groups.
        Since I use google to make sure my questions are as foolproof as I can make them, it seems logical to also use it when seeking to confirm the answers. I wonder how long it would take us to get through the alphabet if googling was discouraged!

Comment

Yup - so what might the other "V" link be? It has to do with the most obvious thing those three works have in common, other than the Variation form...
          Time for a clue as to the second (or third) "V"? Or are you bored of this one?

Comment

Time for a clue as to the second (or third) "V"? Or are you bored of this one?
            Definitely time for a clue.

Comment

Didn't know the Peacock variations was based on a vocal piece, in fact... but if so: then yes!
              Variations on a Hungarian folksong, 'The Peacock' (Felszállott a páva).

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                Let's hope this will encourage others to return and/or join in the fun!
                I would describe my 'U' question as 'eclectic' rather 'elitist': Stan Tracey offered one lot of music lovers a way in, and Richard Rodgers another (assuming, of course, that you don't associate him exclusively with musicals, and didn't realize or remember that he was relatively recently CoTW). The four names between them were also intended to attract the attention of different age groups.
                Since I use google to make sure my questions are as foolproof as I can make them, it seems logical to also use it when seeking to confirm the answers. I wonder how long it would take us to get through the alphabet if googling was discouraged!
                I don't want to start a ding-dong here! My suggestion was that your question was indeed the opposite of elitist, but even then was for some of us harder than many of the ones you have complained about. In other words, it takes all sorts...

Googling is for personal choice. We can't live without it, as we all know! My own choice is not to google right away, and hope to find a clue by thinking about the subject for a while. Then I may use it to home in on a detail, or look for a third answer having found the first two, or where someone has already published two answers out of three. Others are welcome to do as they wish.

As rubbernecker said in M81: 'Google can often be the question setter's undoing, hence the need to be a little cryptic.'

Cordially, and emphasising that I am enjoying your contributions and agree that the more participants we can encourage, the more fun it will be.

Comment

That's how I try to do it too, Don P.

But as you say, it depends on one's areas of interest. Choral/organ and some piano, I've a good chance. Berio I might not manage.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                    Definitely time for a clue.
                    OK! Well... concentrate on the three composers involved, and the non-composing aspect of their activities and/or legacy.

Comment

I can assure you that there's no lack of cordiality on my part, and that I have read your comments with the greatest interest. I'm not sure whether the difficulties posed by my question arose from the breadth of muisical knowledge/interest required, from the phrasing of the question or both. All a bit of a learning curve, what?

Comment

Message 466: I'm no longer entirely sure who the three composers involved are...

Comment

Message 466: I'm no longer entirely sure who the three composers involved are...
                          I think we are on Liszt, Kodaly, and Dohnanyi. All Hungarian born teachers, conductors, editors, etc.. I cannot get anything starting with V.

Comment

Thank you - not that the information leaves me any less bamboozled!

Comment

A stab in the dark, this: is it 'Volkslied'?

Comment

A stab in the dark, this: is it 'Volkslied'?
                                No.

Clue 2: it's the name of a person.

Comment

Working...
                                X