This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    Howzat from our golden maiden Annie, you caught us on the back foot with your cricket googly, I’m bowled over, how can we follow on? From his pad the nightwatchman Mercs was stumped, over the edge, beaten, or perhaps just on strike. Has he run out of pace and silly ideas, or just not giving a toss? Let’s not knock him, he might follow on by appealing to Rubbers to bail us out? That bouncer breaks in, pitches with pace, nets it, then it’s over and he swings to the boundary until the next innings, not to call bye or return until there is another sitter, maybe getting a hat trick.
    Lovely stuff, Flay! You've missed out cloughie, for whom I'd suggest 'full toss'

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      So who wrote something with several Trombones in the title?
      Seventy-six to be precise - Meredith Willson ( it says here)

Comment

So who wrote something with several Trombones in the title?
        Meredith Willson - two Ls - 76

Comment

Can someone explain how the Brian Johnston willy gaffe became the name Wilson? I've been looking for links to the name Willie ......

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Lovely stuff, Flay! You've missed out cloughie, for whom I'd suggest 'full toss'
            I Yorked you. By the way the other clue I could have given would be 1 a Yorkshire captain from the 60s and, not related, a Yorkshire spin-bowler from the 60s/70s.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Can someone explain how the Brian Johnston willy gaffe became the name Wilson? I've been looking for links to the name Willie ......
              Yes I'm looking forward to this info too, Anna

Comment

You have omitted Ammy and Cali who appear to have retired without troubling the scorers!
                Indeed, and I was only having a jovial swing at Rubbers.
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

great question cloughie

what was wicked?
                  I suppose the "interesting score" was the fact of 76 trombones ?
                  what was the Brian Johnston-ism?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Wilson has nothing to do with the Willey gaffe, when the score reached 76 BJ always used to refer to it as 'Trombone time'. You are mixing your metaphors with something you haven't met afore!
                    Last edited by cloughie; 07-05-12, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      great question cloughie

what was wicked?
                      I suppose the "interesting score" was the fact of 76 trombones ?
                      what was the Brian Johnston-ism?
                      Wicked was the reference to Wilson Pickett, who was known as the 'Wicked Pickett', apparently because he had a reputation for a wild lifestyle!

Comment

The Anna's Law summary

Wil(l)son merc

Wilson Pickett merc
                        John Wilson merc
                        Meredith Willson ammy (just pipping merc)

X Y Z or A is yours merc

Comment

Well I too was totally stumped, hence my diarrhoeal utterances above. Cricket??? May the rains come....
                          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

anyone got a spare question, as we alphabetically move on ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              anyone got a spare question, as we alphabetically move on ?
                              I'm orf Up North til Weds pm so I can't assist, I'm afraid

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                I'm orf Up North til Weds pm so I can't assist, I'm afraid
                                How far up North Ammy? Hope the weather improves, it looks like the Heavens are about to open here. Sorry mercs, I don't have a spare (I really should be more organised and have some questions worked out in advance like everyone else does)

Comment

Working...
                                X