X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the traditional AA time: anyone out there like an I?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I can't claim to be an instrumentalist any more - December 1994 was the last time I played in public (I used to earn a few quid every so often as a percussionist) and when I recently "had a go" I was so horrified at what I couldn't do (things I used to be able to do without thinking) that I quickly stopped. I had violin and piano lessons as a teenager, but I wouldn't want anyone to hear me.

One of my plans for retirement is to start playing the Viola (I have difficulty hearing high notes close up, so the register of the Viola is kinder to my ears).
      Sounds good. No jokes here! Love a nice husky viola

It's been a few years since I touched the old trombone. Haven't played regularly since moving into central London 20 years ago, but occasionally musical contacts dangle tempting offers, with the result that I've dusted off the old instrument (matron), started practising and then attended a season's rehearsals and played the final concert - "tempting" means a piece I've always wanted to play. Hence I've played 1st Trombone in quite good amateur performances of Mahler 5 and Rachmaninov 2 (Symphony) over the last 10 years. Another Mahler, or a Sibelius or a Shostakovich... I'd consider coming out of retirement (again!).

Piano - it's ridiculous, I'm sitting 3 feet from my inherited Bechstein grand... Have I touched it in the last 2-3 weeks? Nope! Mind you it's a bit out of tune, the chap's coming on Monday, so that may unleash something
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Am around for another hour or so...

Comment

Ah, sorry everyone; I've been catching up with the Shakespeare doc from last night. Shall be offline now 'til about 1:00 tomorrow afternoon - if anyone wants to take the I, I'll join in when I get back the one I've got planned can wait for another time.

'Night, all.

Comment

I wasn't around yesterday evening, nor will I be around this morning so I'm happy to wait for ferney and we do seem rather depleted in numbers at the moment ......

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                I wasn't around yesterday evening, nor will I be around this morning so I'm happy to wait for ferney and we do seem rather depleted in numbers at the moment ......
                Agreed - travelling much of the day for work, so not much in evidence meeself either.

Comment

Oh dear, everyone's busy, me too ....

I throw AA to the world in general. Come on all you lurkers, let's have an I
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I don't have a cat; Joly Byrd specimens followed Willaert's original.

Comment

I don't have a cat - Infelix ego??

Comment

... and reference to settings by Simon Joly, William Byrd and Adrian Wilaert (who was the first person to set the entire text).
                          Furry nuff, Anna: you have the J!

Comment

... and reference to settings by Simon Joly, William Byrd and Adrian Wilaert (who was the first person to set the entire text).
                            Furry nuff, Anna: you have the J!
                            I was going to add the further info but only if my first guess was right. So, to add to it. First penned by Girolamo Savonarola after he was tortured on the rack, and two weeks before he was burned at the stake. I shall think of a Jolly J.

Comment

Brilliant, Anna. Gosh, a quick look-up about Girolamo Savonarola: I'm not surprised he was so miserable... "The prison authorities had spared only his right arm during the preliminary torture, so that Savonarola would be able to sign his confession."

So nice of them.

Now back to work...
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Not sure who is available to play, Cali said he's travelling on business, has he nipped off to Gay Paree again to haunt the patisseries? Others are conspicuous by their absence, sorry you are too busy Flay, nevermind, I'll post this and look back in around an hour

Amongst others were Verdi, Tchaikovsky, Honneger and incidentally Bernstein, which J under various guises is this that inspired?
                                Last edited by Guest; 09-05-12, 15:47. Reason: crossed with Flay so added condolences!

Comment

Working...
                                X