X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re 2) and lead by the developing Barber idea, the premiere of Il Barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville) by Rossini was not a success but I'm not able as yet to find the reference to an overture.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Ah, according to http://www.sdopera.com/Operapaedia/Vanessa

"Despite an all-star cast that included Leontyne Price, Jess Thomas and Justino Diaz, the opera was one of the great disappointments in the company's history of commissions for new opera. Admittedly the production crew tried to do too much in order to show off what the new stage could do, and the Zeffirelli production and libretto were deemed too grandiose for Barber's more sensitive musical personality."

However, I understand that Barber's Antony & Cleopatra was an even bigger flop (what is the International Unit of floppery? )
      The bit that you quote is actually about Antony and Cleopatra.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        The bit that you quote is actually about Antony and Cleopatra.
        Hush my mouth

Comment

Re 2) and lead by the developing Barber idea, the premiere of Il Barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville) by Rossini was not a success but I'm not able as yet to find the reference to an overture.
          Wikipedia mentions the other opera in relation to the overture without noting that this was (a) not the original overture, and (b) that it was in entirety the overture to another opera (at least according to other sources).

A different Wikipedia page notes that this overture was used for three operas.

Comment

Wikipedia mentions the other opera in relation to the overture without noting that this was (a) not the original overture, and (b) that it was in entirety the overture to another opera (at least according to other sources).

A different Wikipedia page notes that this overture was used for three operas.
            Hush my mouth II

Comment

Anna's Law:

(1)The Barber of Baghdad (Der Barbier von Bagdad) by Cornelius;

(2) Il Barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville) by Rossini

(3) Antony & Cleopatra by Samuel Barber

B = Barber

Comment

Anna's Law:

(1)The Barber of Baghdad (Der Barbier von Bagdad) by Cornelius;

(2) Il Barbiere di Siviglia (The Barber of Seville) by Rossini

(3) Antony & Cleopatra by Samuel Barber

B = Barber

And what can you come up with next?

Comment

And what can you come up with next?
                  Crikey what a challenge!?

What about ....

What C, who became a Marxist in 2006, was instrumental in a famous completion, and wrote memories of his Slovakian childhood?

Comment

Right, I'm slipping off to Blanket Bay - sleep well y'all

Comment

No takers as yet - I'm tempted to give a clue or two but I see that there are no other AA 'regulars' (should that be 'irregulars'? ) around thus far this morning so I'll leave it a while longer.

Shout out if you want a clue & think I should buck up

Comment

Does the Marxist reference relate to an interpretation of a role, possibly in an opera?

Comment

No takers as yet - I'm tempted to give a clue or two but I see that there are no other AA 'regulars' (should that be 'irregulars'? ) around thus far this morning so I'll leave it a while longer.

Shout out if you want a clue & think I should buck up
                          I think you have given quite enough detail. Five minutes of internet searching produces what seems to be the answer. I am out for the next few hours so I will leave others to the pleasure of making new discoveries.

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                            Does the Marxist reference relate to an interpretation of a role, possibly in an opera?
                            It refers to C's joining of a society devoted to Marx

Comment

I think you have given quite enough detail. Five minutes of internet searching produces what seems to be the answer. I am out for the next few hours so I will leave others to the pleasure of making new discoveries.
                              Thanks, scb

I think

Comment

Thanks, scb

I think
                                ...therefore I am (nowhere near the answer)

Comment

Working...
                                X