This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    Gosh, I'm de bussy man just now, I wish I could join in. But with all these social services reports and case conferences about that Walse family....
    I'm just off the phone with Leeds Social Services, you'll be hearing further very shortly. Criminal ineptitude are ugly words, but in this instance, the only appropriate ones.

I have to rush out to obtain an emergency court order from Mrs Justice Erda, but off the top of me 'ead, Goodfellow = Robin = Puck = CDs "La Danse de Puck" in the Préludes Vol. 1, I think.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
      (never mind, you can explain when it's time to satisfy Anna's Law)

See http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...services-probe
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
        Which 'D' based pieces on a Goodfellow, the creation of a comic juggler and a visitor to The Great White Horse?
        Oh booger. Oh well <sigh>

Debussy preludes: -

La danse de Puck (also known as Robin Goodfellow) in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

Hommage a S. Pickwick Esq - Debussy was inspired by Dickens who had travelled to Ipswich in 1835 to report on the General Election, and stayed at the Great White Horse, immortalizing the tavern and his experiences there in ‘The Pickwick Papers’.

General Lavine - eccentric is a music-hall juggler sketch. It is based on the person of Edward Lavine, one of the most celebrated figures in international vaudeville of the time, billed as "Ed Lavine, the Man Who Has Soldiered All His Life". He presented his act at the Marigny Theatre in Paris twice, in 1910 and 1912 and later went on to work producing Army "service bars" in his desert town of Twenty-nine Palms, in California, where he passed away in 1946. Debussy was approached to compose music for a revue based on the puppet modelled upon the character, but the project was never finalised. It appears that Lavine was the only human being of whom Debussy composed a musical portrait.

Is that enough coleslaw then?
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Blimey, here we go again...

An E please:

The odd man out scored; a collaborative variation; and the Avon won't be this in the next few days...
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Yes indeed, Flay, Debussy was the nom juste - and I'm obliged to Caliban for the news of the shocking goings-on in Leeds. (As you may have guessed, I'm not into Wagner. )

Comment

and the Avon won't be this in the next few days...
              well I suppose it won't be dry/slow/low

whatever the opposite of in spate is

Comment

The odd man out scored
                ?
                ... the film starring (Huddersfield-born) James Mason with Music by William Alwyn, conducted (? and scored?) by Muir Mattheson?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                  "ETAPS" ("spate" backwards) is a computer programme developed by Alwyn Williams ("William Alwyn" "backwards")!

(Which is probably more coincidental than useful. )

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    "ETAPS" ("spate" backwards) is a computer programme developed by Alwyn Williams ("William Alwyn" "backwards")!

(Which is probably more coincidental than useful. )
                    WOW!! Liking your coincidentals, ferney

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      ?
                      ... the film starring (Huddersfield-born) James Mason with Music by William Alwyn, conducted (? and scored?) by Muir Mattheson?
                      William Alwyn. Something he wrote perchance?
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

well I suppose it won't be dry/slow/low

Gently does it now...
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

well apparently there are some collaborative variations on an Elizabethan theme

Comment

well apparently there are some collaborative variations on an Elizabethan theme
                            And Alwyn wrote a set of Elizabethan Dances, so a theme is emerging!

Comment

... but how the Avon won't be "Elizabethan" in the next few days has me stumped!

Comment

<DOH>!

Where the Gentle Avon Flows - Wigan Gilbert and Sullivan Society - Conducted by John Flood.www.WiganGandS.co.uk.Performed on 8th May 2009 during a benefit co...

Comment

Working...
                                X