X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do others agree that a 'sticky' posting of the the most up-to-date alphabetical list would be a jolly useful thing for this thread? - it might also encourage newbies.

If I get a positive response I shall approach frenchfrank - unless anyone else knows how to deal with 'stickies' - oh how I wish I hadn't tryped that last bit

Tis late now & I be a-shuffling off - I hope you all sleep well, if this is possible on such a hot humid night. Thunderstorms be a-coming, they do say .....
    Last edited by Guest; 27-06-11, 23:06. Reason: thunderstorm warning

Comment

I'm afraid I don't know what a sticky is let alone how you do one
      whatever it is can it be constantly updated?
      or do you have to keep producing new ones?

Comment

Apols for lack of input here but there have been thunderstorms for most of the day here and I've disconnected the PC as a result.

What about assuming that the Q is common to all three elements and that all three elements are composers not beginning with Q

Comment

Sorry to hear that nature put you off line, Am, but pleased you have come out from under the cloud without any problem.

Is this 'ere Q a musical term, title or whatever? It as me stumped.

Comment

We're having to compete with the weather, Am, and I daren't have a go at your puzzle as I am not going to be around much for the next week. Going to Kirkcudbright and Wigtown (for the books and whatever else might be on offer).

Best wishes to all

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
              Sorry to hear that nature put you off line, Am, but pleased you have come out from under the cloud without any problem.

Is this 'ere Q a musical term, title or whatever? It as me stumped.
              Enjoy Kirkcudbright (staying with Mr & Mrs Broon perchance?) Angle and Wigton, of which Melvyn Bragg is the milord these days, I believe..

This 'ere Q is the title of a musical work :smile:

Comment

Is Chopin the Pole? I've checked the obvious works. Gorecki, Lutoslawski, Penderecki and Szymanowski might also be possible if it's obscure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  Is Chopin the Pole? I've checked the obvious works. Gorecki, Lutoslawski, Penderecki and Szymanowski might also be possible if it's obscure.
                  Chopin is not the Pole, sorry dave. But you mentioned him in your list ....

Comment

well Penderecki has so far written three string quartets and one clarinet quartet so I guess that equals four quartets
                    as far as I can see the only thing Lutoslawski wrote four of was symphonies. I wonder if the Polish for symphony starts with a Q.
                    Last edited by mercia; 29-06-11, 11:09.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                      well Penderecki has so far written three string quartets and one clarinet quartet so I guess that equals four quartets
                      as far as I can see the only thing Lutoslawski wrote four of was symphonies. I wonder if the Polish for symphony starts with a Q.
                      Perhaps the 4 refers to playing members in the piece, mercia?

As to the Polish composer, he had a great popular symphonic success a few years back, sorrowfully on CfM

Comment

generous clues - this looks like Gorecki's Quartettino opus 5 ("for mixed ensemble"), perhaps? I'm afraid I don't know it, not that that's saying much

oh, sorrowfully, another clue

Comment

generous clues - this looks like Gorecki's Quartettino opus 5 ("for mixed ensemble"), perhaps? I'm afraid I don't know it, not that that's saying much

oh, sorrowfully, another clue
                          Well spotted mercia but the Q is not quartetto.

Perhaps if you pursued the German, now - by far the earliest and the best known of the three, his compositional originality and genius shines brightly, even at night apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            but the Q is not quartetto
                            oops, I smugly thought I had it there, that'll learn me

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              genius shines brightly, even at night apparently
                              at the risk of making a fool of myself, perhaps these are quasi's

Beethoven Moonlight Sonata Quasi una fantasia
                              Gorecki Quasi una fantasia opus 64 String Quartet

Comment

at the risk of making a fool of myself, perhaps these are quasi's

Beethoven Moonlight Sonata Quasi una fantasia
                                Gorecki Quasi una fantasia opus 64 String Quartet
                                No fool you, mercia - bravo!

So the numbers refer to the number of performers too.

Now just to find a Hungarian composer whose Quasi una fantasia is [many] + 1

Comment

Working...
                                X