This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope you lot aren't loitering within tent
    (That's not a further clue - I would hope the amendment to my original question (# 23204) would have put you in the picture by now - that could well be a further clue...)
    Last edited by Guest; 14-07-12, 12:29.

Comment

"Without warning" sounds like a flash mob - as on another recent post. But they don't usually go on that long...
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Sorry, I can't get the significance of the dates. Somebody will get it.

Must mow the lawn now while the sun shines.
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

well June 21 to September 21 in any year is roughly from the summer solstice to the autumn equinox so what some consider to be summer
          can't remember what happened last year - riots in August I think
          a summer picture
          a picture of summer
          not the dates of the proms
          summer riots in the form of a double quintet

Comment

All very well, but weren't we on an O???
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

the orful summer of 2011
              did it rain ?

Comment

Try preceding (or do I mean prefixing) 'Summer' (or indeed 'Last Summer') with an adverb meaning 'without warning'.

Comment

Suddenly Last Summer, a play (then film) by Tennessee Williams
                  I shall look for some connected quintets

Comment

The film should lead you to Mr O.
                    EDIT:
                    I have to go out for an hour or so, but have every confidence you'll have come up with all the details by then!
                    Last edited by Guest; 14-07-12, 14:03.

Comment

well well, a Hollywood film with British music, that's a bit unusual isn't it. maybe not.
                      I'm rather busy too but I'm sure the answer will be reached within the hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                        Mr O.
                        Catching up after a slow start to Saturday (no change there then )

Mr O connected with the film of "Suddenly Last Summer"... and a load of bizarre chamber music...

Mission accepted.

<commences feverish googling>
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

It transpires that the score for the film was written by the strangely named Buxton Daeblitz Orr (he sounds like an anagram), born Glasgow 18 April 1924

He seems to have written various music for wind ensembles, but I can't find the combinations listed. Should I keep looking?

There seem to be various other composers in various genres by the name of Orr.

UPDATE:

As you were, old Buxton wrote A Caledonian Suite (1980) for Brass Band (also for Tentet); and Tournament for ten solo brass (1985)

And, indeed, Sonata per Dieci (1967) for Double Wind Quintet

And Highland Complaintes and Fancies (1976) for Double Reeds Trio

I think that's the lot?

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 14-07-12, 14:33.
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Absolutely brilliant, Calibs! I return from the garden to find it solved, with eloquence!

Mrs Flay is working today. Must nip out to shops, should have done it this morning but too distracted. Bread needed

Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Caliban - Indeed! As Arthur English (who, I'm sure, you're FAR too young to remember or have even heard of, used to say: 'That's Yer Lot!'.
                              I think you've satisfied the Welsh lady's requirements , so could we have a 'P' please, Bob? (I know your name's probably not Bob, and you may never have rented a DVD from Blockbuster, but it might raise a smile among any fans of the late Mr Holness).

Comment

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                                Caliban - Indeed! As Arthur English (who, I'm sure, you're FAR too young to remember or have even heard of, used to say: 'That's Yer Lot!'.
                                I think you've satisfied the Welsh lady's requirements , so could we have a 'P' please, Bob? (I know your name's probably not Bob, and you may never have rented a DVD from Blockbuster, but it might raise a smile among any fans of the late Mr Holness).
                                Calibs is quite old enough to remember Arthur English as Mr Harman and Mrs Slocum en banter in Are You Being Served, I'm sure

This is a scene from Are you Being Served? The episode is "The Club" This is the one scene I found most amusing.

Comment

Working...
                                X