X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    So ignore Fay Wray?

Indeed no - she'll do for me....................

Comment

Hmmmm.... Accrington... Fay Wray... accordions....

I'm lost.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I'm lost.
        Well, I might be misleading you, but there's only one widely-known composer from Accrington, and only one film for which Fay Wray is widely known ...
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I'm lost.
          Is it not Accrington and the bricks used in Empire State, as detailed by Jeannette Winterson?

Comment

Well, I might be misleading you, but there's only one widely-known composer from Accrington, and only one film for which Fay Wray is widely known ...
            Good heavens... Sir Harrison! I'd never heard of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_Mrs_Kong

There's an accordion part in the score....

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Is it not Accrington and the bricks used in Empire State, as detailed by Jeannette Winterson?
              Much better answer Anna - but no - and as Ferney is playing hard to get and we want Cali to B the man ASAP - to fulfil your Law

There was seemingly a fair bit of accordion in The Second Mrs Kong by H. Birtwistle

Comment

Sorry Rumpole our postings crossed as so often in the euphoria.........................

Comment

Keeping it legal:

ACCORDION

Shostakovich's 'Jazz Suite No. 2' exists in a version for accordion
                  Luciano Berio's Sequenza XIII for accordion "Chanson"
                  The Second Mrs Kong, an opera in two acts, with music by Sir Harrison Birtwistle

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                    as Ferney is playing hard to get
                    Not intentionally: the "Accrington" was a bit of a give-away for a Birtwistle fan, so I didn't want to steal the goal from Cali. I was at one of the performances in the premiere run of Mrs Kong at Glyndebourne c.1994. Weird libretto* (by the late Russel Hoban), great score: heartbreakingly sad Music at the end.

* = So weird that the second Mrs Kong (the first being Ms Wray) is the girl with the pearl earring from the Vermeer painting - called Pearl in the opera. And there's a part for Orpheus' head. Just his head, because that's the only bit left singing at the end of the myth.
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

A, probably stupid, question one of the great fears I have on popping back amongst this happy band is setting a word that has just been set. In fact a while back I did exactly that i.e. set the same L as last cycle with more or less the same clues!!!
                      I have tried using the search facility but it did tell me, not surprisingly, that accordion had appeared in the AA thread at some point, but I couldn't find from the display the actual post(s) - can one do this??

It came as a pleasant surprise that dickhead has never been used hereabouts - whoops!

Comment

It came as a pleasant surprise that dickhead has never been used hereabouts - whoops!
                        It will, it will.

Comment

A word much on your mind after navigating the crowds at Fenwicks?

Comment

Not intentionally: the "Accrington" was a bit of a give-away for a Birtwistle fan, so I didn't want to steal the goal from Cali. I was at one of the performances in the premiere run of Mrs Kong at Glyndebourne c.1994. Weird libretto* (by the late Russel Hoban), great score: heartbreakingly sad Music at the end.

* = So weird that the second Mrs Kong (the first being Ms Wray) is the girl with the pearl earring from the Vermeer painting - called Pearl in the opera. And there's a part for Orpheus' head. Just his head, because that's the only bit left singing at the end of the myth.

Good stuff Ferns. Doubly ashamed about the fact that I'd never even heard of it. (I went to the première of "Gawain"....! - he said to try and prove he's not a complete idiot )

Comment

I have tried using the search facility but it did tell me, not surprisingly, that accordion had appeared in the AA thread at some point, but I couldn't find from the display the actual post(s) - can one do this??

!
                              ... if you avoid the "search" facility in the top red line - and instead go to the AA thread and there use the "search thread" box - you will find there have been eleven (and after this entry probably twelve... ) entries showing which have "accordion" in them - and then it's quite easy to go to the one you want.

Comment

Good stuff Ferns. Doubly ashamed about the fact that I'd never even heard of it. (I went to the première of "Gawain"....! - he said to try and prove he's not a complete idiot )
                                Me neither Cali - until it popped out as an example of accordion music in my Penguin Companion to Classical Music (sad) and yes Fenwicks was full of bleeding d******ds!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X