• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post

four Juliuseseses
    of course!

Comment

The wonderful Julius Katchen was a keen collector of netsuke

Entrance of the Gladiators was originally entitled Grande Marche Chromatique by its composer Julius Fučík

Julius Reubke wrote a massive Sonata on the 94th Psalm as the psalm of the day for the Shir Shel Yom of Wednesday.

Sir Julius Benedict conducted Felix Mendelssohn's Elijah at Exeter Hall, for the first appearance of Jenny Lind in oratorio

Four Juliusiseses as requested
      Last edited by Guest; 24-09-12, 12:08.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

Entrance of the Gladiators was originally entitled Grande Marche Chromatique by its composer Julius Fučík

love your accents on Fucik [lucky I'm not BBM ]

two down, two to go

Comment

love your accents on Fucik [lucky I'm not BBM ]

two down, two to go
          LOL@BBM bless 'im

I've added two more to my original, mercs

Comment

Four Juliusiseses as requested
            wunderbarissimo

I think the law has been upheld

Comment

wunderbarissimo

I think the law has been upheld
              Cheers mercs!

For Anna's Law (not that she upholds it, apparently )

Julius Reubke wrote a massive Sonata on the 94th Psalm as the psalm of the day for the Shir Shel Yom of Wednesday.

Sir Julius Benedict conducted Felix Mendelssohn's Elijah at Exeter Hall, for the first appearance of Jenny Lind in oratorio

I'll work on a K while I'm having a cawfee

Comment

What K links a musical entitled after a work of Dumas, a ballet named after a noisy root, and a musician who was forced to create deceptive musical harmony in Europe and who flowered finally in North America?

Comment

What K a work of Dumas

hmmm. Wonder what Amateur is thinkin'.

nutKracker?
                  Kount of Monte Kristo??
                  Korsican Brothers???
                  the three musKeteers????
                  the Konspirators?????

.... [ back to the drawing room for another glass of madeira, methinks ]

Comment

a ballet named after a noisy root

... not Szymanowski op 43 by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... not Szymanowski op 43 by any chance?
                      Share your thoughts, vints - my Szymanowski integrale is in the library

Comment

Share your thoughts, vints -
                        from an unidentified source :

"As a side-line to his major operatic works, in 1920 Szymanowski wrote the ballet grotesque Mandragora in which the Harlequin's arietta is the only brief vocal component. The work was a commission from Warsaw's Teatr Polski; it was to serve as a grand musical coda to Moliere's Le Bourgeois Gentilliomme. The ballet's plot, hastily devised in a restaurant by the composer working jointly with the directors of the production, was modeled on the Italian commedia dell' arte filled with unrestrained frolics. The King lusts after Columbine, a newly-arrived captive in his harem. However, she is set free by Harlequin, the Captain and the Doctor by a trick in which an elixir made of the roots of mandragora directs the King's lust back to his Queen. The music, scored for chamber ensemble (string quintet, several wood-wind instruments, percussion and piano) is marked by French-style lightness and humor."

Comment

from an unidentified source :

"As a side-line to his major operatic works, in 1920 Szymanowski wrote the ballet grotesque Mandragora in which the Harlequin's arietta is the only brief vocal component. The work was a commission from Warsaw's Teatr Polski; it was to serve as a grand musical coda to Moliere's Le Bourgeois Gentilliomme. The ballet's plot, hastily devised in a restaurant by the composer working jointly with the directors of the production, was modeled on the Italian commedia dell' arte filled with unrestrained frolics. The King lusts after Columbine, a newly-arrived captive in his harem. However, she is set free by Harlequin, the Captain and the Doctor by a trick in which an elixir made of the roots of mandragora directs the King's lust back to his Queen. The music, scored for chamber ensemble (string quintet, several wood-wind instruments, percussion and piano) is marked by French-style lightness and humor."
                          Bravo vints - Szymanowski's Mandragora is the ballet

Comment

So ... any idea now what the K might be?

I'm off for my snoozle very soon - back by 18:30

Comment

Recap ~ vints has established that the ballet is Szymanowski's Mandragora. Szymanowski's first name will give you the K and then there are two more clues to solve
                              Last edited by Guest; 24-09-12, 19:27. Reason: trypos

Comment

hmmm. Wonder what Amateur is thinkin'.

nutKracker?
                                Kount of Monte Kristo??
                                Korsican Brothers???
                                the three musKeteers????
                                the Konspirators?????

.... [ back to the drawing room for another glass of madeira, methinks ]
                                Sorry I missed your Madeira-fuddled musings, vints - The Count of Monte Christo (sic) it be
                                Last edited by Guest; 24-09-12, 20:25. Reason: trypo

Comment

Working...
                                X