This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haven't found any Karol / Monte Christo connections

?? Karel Svoboda - music for film "Monte Christo" ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      haven't found any Karol / Monte Christo connections

?? Karel Svoboda - music for film "Monte Christo" ?
      You're durn tooting there mercs! bravo!

So we're down to the musician - did I say conductor?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        did I say conductor?
        you may have

of the half dozen or so Karol conductors I've found, none ended up in the US, however Karel Husa became a US citizen in 1959. Not sure at the moment of his "forced deceptive musical harmony", so perhaps I have the wrong person.

Comment

you may have

of the half dozen or so Karol conductors I've found, none ended up in the US, however Karel Husa became a US citizen in 1959. Not sure at the moment of his "forced deceptive musical harmony", so perhaps I have the wrong person.
          Hello mercs - stout puzzler that you are, you have been thrown sideways by "North America" which does include Canada, y'see

How's that then? - a Karel who wound up in Canada after dreadful persecution?

Comment

I'm not playing, mercs is doing fine, but would it be Karel Ancerl? He managed to survive Auschwitz and landed up in Toronto?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              I'm not playing, mercs is doing fine, but would it be Karel Ancerl? He managed to survive Auschwitz and landed up in Toronto?
              So do I respond to this or not, as you're not playing Anna?

Karel Ančerl is the third and final part of the puzzle

Sheer devilment makes me want to give it to Anna so that she has to conform to her byzantine Law but justice suggests that it's either vints (who gave us Karel Szymanowski) or mercs who gave us Karel Swoboda and whose response yielded the Canadian clue leading to Karel Ančerl.

I'm easy (as they say) - what say you vints & mercs - who fancies giving us L?

Comment

So do I respond to this or not, as you're not playing Anna? [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]?
                I was just being my usual, helpful, loveable, self. You know, the affable, fluffy, Token Welsh!! Edit: Only joking, off now to cook some complex pasta stuff.
                Last edited by Guest; 25-09-12, 18:22. Reason: Because I am offline now

Comment

So do I respond to this or not, as you're not playing Anna?

Karel Ančerl is the third and final part of the puzzle

Sheer devilment makes me want to give it to Anna so that she has to conform to her byzantine Law but justice suggests that it's either vints (who gave us Karel Szymanowski) or mercs who gave us Karel Swoboda and whose response yielded the Canadian clue leading to Karel Ančerl.

I'm easy (as they say) - what say you vints & mercs - who fancies giving us L?
                  Whooooooooooooooooooooshhhhhhhh......

What was that?!

A visit by the fleeting, benevolent presence that is Anna

Also a fleeting visit here, looking in quickly before din-dins, with the rather unhelpful comment that we've gone all phonetic have we? Karels Ančerl & Svoboda, but Karol Szymanowski...

In fact, I'm not sure they are even pronounced the same, are they?

Just saying...
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

you have been thrown sideways by "North America" which does include Canada, y'see
                    <doh> caught me out there good and proper, so you did, to be sure - I didn't do geog. at skool - well done Anna

I really feel L belongs to the vint, 'cos I was nowhere before we got on to Karelians - but I shall start thinking
                    Last edited by mercia; 25-09-12, 20:26.

Comment

L connecting

Marguerite's concerto, those musical Whistlers and a balletic threatened king
                      Last edited by mercia; 26-09-12, 17:15.

Comment

L connecting

Marguerite's concerto, those musical Whistlers and a balletic threatened king
                        I'm stumped by this one (I assume everyone else is judging by the silence )

Could Marguerite be Marguerite Long? (Ravel dedicated his piano concerto to her and she premièred it)
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I wondered about Marguerite Long, but got no further than you appear to have done. (It wasn't even the left-hand concerto!)

Comment

What about Liszt whose music is used in the ballet Marguerite & Armand?

Comment

What about Liszt whose music is used in the ballet Marguerite & Armand?
                              But it's Marguerite's concerto, not ballet.

Whistler with a capital W suggests a name (Mr Whistler?), or the place. And as for the threatened king - that rings a bell, but I can't remember who it could be.
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

From "The Correspondence of James McNeill Whistler".

Mr Whistler’s Ten O’Clock - Public lecture, Prince's Hall, Piccadilly, 20 February 1885.

Nature contains the elements of colour and form of all pictures, as the keyboard contains the notes of all music - but the artist is born to pick, and choose, and group with science, these elements, that the result may be beautiful – as the musician gathers his notes, and forms his chords, until he brings forth from chaos, glorious harmony. To say to the painter that nature is to be taken as she is, is to say to the player that he may sit on the piano!
                                Last edited by Flay; 26-09-12, 21:24. Reason: U added to color :o( and Americanisations removed (too many commas!)
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X