This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    first and last, meaning presumably the historically "first" prize of 1803 and last of 1968

Albert Androt ? Alain Louvier ?

is this answering the Ophelia part of the question ?

[don't know whether you saw the edits to my last post]

Albert Androt - first winner of the Prix de Rome in 1803 with Alcyone (hence the kingfisher)

Alain Louvier - last winner of the Prix de Rome in 1968 with La folie et mort d'Ophélie

and - intended to steer you on one of the many roads to Rome (which was the R we were looking for) - a more familiar winner - Debussy's L'enfant prodigue in 1884

Phew! (And I was hoping this would be an easier one...)

'Stime for an S!

Comment

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
      Albert Androt - first winner of the Prix de Rome in 1803 with Alcyone (hence the kingfisher)

Alain Louvier - last winner of the Prix de Rome in 1968 with La folie et mort d'Ophélie
      phew indeed

sorry I couldn't find any information as to what Androt and Louvier wrote

is there a website which lists who won the Prix de Rome each year and with what composition ?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        phew indeed

sorry I couldn't find any information as to what Androt and Louvier wrote

is there a website which lists who won the Prix de Rome each year and with what composition ?
        Yes, here it is:

http://www.musimem.com/prix-de-rome.html

It makes fascinating reading and there are some wonderful photographs.

As is always the case, the passage of time has relegated many of the names of winners to oblivion, with a few half-remembered figures cropping up here and there and the occasional star still burning brightly. And, of course, it's probably comforting to anyone who has ever unsuccessfully entered competitions of this sort to reflect on the names of those who didn't win - most notably Ravel.

Comment

Bravi Roslynmuse and mercs - what a team!

Comment

Honestly, Cloughie, at this stage the simplest Google search will lead you to the answer! Two words!
            So you say - don't tell me how easy it is - I've set what I thought were easy clues and they've taken a day or two to solve! As they say in the Dragon's Den - I'm out!

Comment

Phew indeed!

I get the First and Last thing now

But I don't get this:

Alcyone (hence the kingfisher)
              I looked into Alcyone and found no kingfishers, martins-pecheurs or anything else...

Please to explain?
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Phew indeed!

I get the First and Last thing now

But I don't get this:

I looked into Alcyone and found no kingfishers, martins-pecheurs or anything else...

Please to explain?
                ...and no thanks for the fish!

Comment

[COLOR="#0000FF"]

Please to explain?
                  ... 'cos halcyon = kingfisher.

It's a Greek word ...

(... and I like the classical thinking here : "there was an ancient belief that the bird nested on the sea, which it calmed in order to lay its eggs on a floating nest. Two weeks of calm weather were therefore expected around the winter solstice. This myth leads to the use of halcyon as a term for peace or calmness... ")

Last edited by vinteuil; 12-11-12, 14:55.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... 'cos halcyon = kingfisher.

It's a Greek word ...
                    Ah vinrouge!! It's a long time since I have felt the pricks of reproach heading up Holland Park Avenue

As you well know, they don't speak Greek in Nottinghamshire, Cambridgeshire and Paris, 'twas too late by the time I arrived in the mεταφράσεις

I got as far as the Pleiades, but sadly didn't find this page last night http://www.theoi.com/Nymphe/NympheAlkyone.html

Too busy hunting for Ophelia..

Good question, rozza! Killer!

Comment

Alcyone, the daughter of Aeolus

don't know why I wasn't able to connect Halcyon to Alcyone

Comment

Ah vinrouge!! It's a long time since I have felt the pricks of reproach heading up Holland Park Avenue

:
                        [ - he loves it, really. And my fees are most reasonable... ]

Wasn't The Pricks of Reproach one of those bands of which the late John Peel was such a fervent advocate???

Comment

Wasn't The Pricks of Reproach one of those bands of which the late John Peel was such a fervent advocate???
                          Sounds like a previous incarnation of The Sex Pistols!

Comment

As is always the case, the passage of time has relegated many of the names of winners to oblivion... And, of course, it's probably comforting to anyone who has ever unsuccessfully entered competitions of this sort to reflect on the names of those who didn't win - most notably Ravel.
                            Quite. Aymé Kunc...

Whose S?

Comment

Quite. Aymé Kunc...

Whose S?
                              I think Ros won!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                I think Ros won!

I have a small one (Matron).

A little S to divert on this dark, damp evening.

An S to connect Anna's other half with the first World Cup finals and Leporello

Comment

Working...
                                X