This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

This J links George and John with the biggest public square in London.
    Jennens?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      Jennens?

Those pigeons on the pavilion roof have just had to scatter again!!!

Yes indeed. Bluddy brilliant! Care to explain for the lasses and lads at the back of the class?
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Flay emerges dazed from his slumber, blinks, and blearily wipes the sand from his eyes, grateful that he still has them in spite of a restless night. The realisation that he has inadvertently hit a bulls eye dawns slowly, then the horror sets in. He will have to explain himself, and somehow dream up a K. But this will not be a delicious dream. It will be a nightmare!

Charles Jennens. Lincoln's Inn Fields

The Beggar's Operas by John Gay was premiered at the Lincoln's Inn Fields Theatre on 29 January 1728. Some of its songs were composed by George Frideric Handel.

Mind you L'Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato by GFH was also premiered on 27 February 1740 at the Royal Theatre of Lincoln's Inn Fields. This was based on two of John Milton's poems.

So I claim double top!
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Flay would like to withdraw his answer and think again about the connections. Last night (after a very busy day) it all seemed obvious. This morning he could not remember his logic and stumbled on a wrong answer.

The correct answer after all (he hopes) is L'Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato by George Frideric Handel. The librettist Charles Jennens, arranged John Milton's two poems, L'Allegro and il Penseroso , "interleaving them to create dramatic tension between the personified characters of Milton's poems (L'Allegro or the "Joyful man" and il Penseroso or the "Contemplative man"). The first two movements consist of this dramatic dialog between Milton's poems. In an attempt to unite the two poems into a singular "moral design", Jennens added a new poem, "il Moderato", to create a third."

This morning Flay is not joyful, he is contemplative.
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Was I right!?

Good question... Nice misdirection, as I said before...

A J then.

This J links George and John with the biggest public square in London.
            No misdirection Cali, just you reading too much into my clues. I was quite pleased with the simple effectivenss of my I, and I just love Martinon's Divertissement. There have been mentions on other threads of LPs used to test speakers - that was the best!

Comment

Flay would like to withdraw his answer and think again about the connections. Last night (after a very busy day) it all seemed obvious. This morning he could not remember his logic and stumbled on a wrong answer.

The correct answer after all (he hopes) is L'Allegro, il Penseroso ed il Moderato by George Frideric Handel. The librettist Charles Jennens, arranged John Milton's two poems, L'Allegro and il Penseroso , "interleaving them to create dramatic tension between the personified characters of Milton's poems (L'Allegro or the "Joyful man" and il Penseroso or the "Contemplative man"). The first two movements consist of this dramatic dialog between Milton's poems. In an attempt to unite the two poems into a singular "moral design", Jennens added a new poem, "il Moderato", to create a third."

This morning Flay is not joyful, he is contemplative.

Blimey. It is indeed a pensive Flay...

Second thoughts were good in this case...The elements were as above, the piece as you said earlier was premièred in Lincoln's Inn Fields.

Oh.... K !!!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

So here is my keenly awaited K: A wide view (politically speaking), a Nice arrangement, and a ballad for Bonde
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

So here is my keenly awaited K: A wide view (politically speaking), a Nice arrangement, and a ballad for Bonde
                  Would the Nice arrangement have anything to do with Keith Emerson and Sibelius.

This Week?
                  Last edited by cloughie; 21-11-12, 14:47.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                    Would the Nice arrangement have anything to do with Keith Emerson and Sibelius.
                    Yes it just might. <doh>

This Week?
                    And every week....
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Yes it just might. <doh>

And every week....
                      Karelia Suite used for This Week in the seventies
                      Karelia arranged by Keith Emerson and performed by his 60s pre ELP band The Nice.
                      The suite opens with an Intermezzo depicting 14th century woodsmen processing proudly and defiantly on their way to pay taxes to a Lithuanian duke. The second movement, a melancholy Ballade, was originally a vocal piece. The pageant represented a deposed 15th century king, Charles Knutsson Bonde, sitting in his castle and listening to a minstrel. The suite concludes with a festive march. It followed a call to battle issued by Pontus de la Gardie, a 16th century soldier who became Swedish high commander in a war against Russia. An ardent supporter of nationalism, Sibelius knew very well how to exploit the power of musical propaganda!

Comment

Karelia it was cloughie

However I mixed it up with the Panorama theme <doh> hence my "wide view" clue. But you cracked it anyway!

Lob us an L please
                        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Karelia it was cloughie

However I mixed it up with the Panorama theme <doh> hence my "wide view" clue. But you cracked it anyway!

Lob us an L please
                          The original was Rachmaninov Sym 1

Comment

An L to link Joe, Jose and the romantic.

Comment

An L to link Joe, Jose and the romantic.
                              Should that be José??
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Should that be José??
                                No.

Comment

Working...
                                X