This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna View Post
    Does that not translate into something like cloth you spit into? Not sure, also not sure why mercia has given away the answer!!! Thank the Lord Kleenex was invented!
    No. Google translates it as "lace handkerchief"!!
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      He didn't ! You got it! Come on, Anna! Please make the T !!
      Oh, but it was just a wild guess. I am doing serious stuff now, in the kitchen, as I was distinctly underwhelmed by Yotam Ottolenghi, I am reinventing the recipe! Edit: When I say underwhelmed, that's not strictly true, but it was far too heavy on the mustard for my tastes.
      OK, as long as this is solved quickly:

The only female of the Gang, and a seller of birds
      Last edited by Guest; 26-11-12, 13:11. Reason: Not wishing to disparage Yotam's recipe!

Comment

Oh, but it was just a wild guess. I am doing serious stuff now, in the kitchen, as I was distinctly underwhelmed by Yotam Ottolenghi, I am reinventing the recipe!
        OK, as long as this is solved quickly:

Oh crumbs... I've been getting ready to go out, missed this... Shortly out of London (last Sunday's abortive trip - puncture - - reconstituted...) Have to leave in about 5 mins till midnight or so....

There's an operetta called "Der Vogelhändler" (The Bird Seller) but no Ts associated... Someone called Zeller wrote the thing... I suspect it's irrelevant!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Oh crumbs... I've been getting ready to go out, missed this... Shortly out of London (last Sunday's abortive trip - puncture - - reconstituted...) Have to leave in about 5 mins till midnight or so....

There's an operetta called "Der Vogelhändler" (The Bird Seller) but no Ts associated... Someone called Zeller wrote the thing... I suspect it's irrelevant!
          Totally irrelevent! It's probably a Feminist question so don't worry your pretty little head about it!
          I have to go shortly too, for a few hours ....

Comment

Totally irrelevent! It's probably a Feminist question so don't worry your pretty little head about it!
            I have to go shortly too, for a few hours ....

Comment

Sorry, no takers and I have unfortunately to go again now. How about we put the T on hold and anyone wanting to play can carry on with a U (or alternative)?

Comment

I'll re-cap your T for this new page:

Sorry, no takers and I have unfortunately to go again now. How about we put the T on hold and anyone wanting to play can carry on with a U (or alternative)?
                No, be patient, dinner is just digesting, washed on its way with a nice cuppa T
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I'd assumed it was so easy it would have been solved instantly! I'll be in and out this morning, but I can throw in a premiere in 1918 as a tiny cluette.

Comment

I'd assumed it was so easy it would have been solved instantly! I'll be in and out this morning, but I can throw in a premiere in 1918 as a tiny cluette.
                    Heseltine's nickname?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Heseltine's nickname?
                      Afraid not. It's a very, very, badly constructed question, for which I apologise, and the answer is simply the name, not searching for musical items

Comment

Ahhh! Just had an inspiration... Gang of Six... female... feminist... T...

Germaine Tailleferre? Only gal in Les Six?

But why a seller of birds? And what was the 1918 première...

Perhaps it's not her...

EDIT: Even if it's not her, it's amazing that she was still writing music in Paris when I was living there, in the early '80s! I'd have gone on a courteous pilgrimage, had I known...

Comment

Entirely correct Cali!! The only female member of Les Six Le marchand d'oiseaux was the most frequently performed ballet in the repertoire of the Ballets suédois during the 1920s and her string quartet premiered in 1918. She was in fact a very fascinating person, best buddies with Ravel, collaborated with Diaghilev, Cocteau, et al. (It seems the three men in her life, father and both husbands, actively tried to dissuade her from composing)
                          Last edited by Guest; 26-11-12, 13:38. Reason: typos

Comment

Entirely correct Cali!! The only female member of Les Six Le marchand d'oiseaux was the most frequently performed ballet in the repertoire of the Ballets suédois during the 1920s and her string quartet premiered in 1918. She was in fact a very fascinating person, best buddies with Ravel, collaborated with Diaghilev, Cocteau, et al. (It seems the three men in her life, father and both husbands, actively tried to dissuade her from composing)

Wow! I didn't find that ballet when I gave a quick look through her compositions...

I am just leaving for a big lunch with an old friend from out of town, must go now ..... mustn't leave her all alone in the sinful city!!! May I throw the next letter open to all, for someone to set a puzzle? Won't be back for a few hours

PS: am going here: lovely steaks!! http://thehawksmoor.com/

Comment

PS: am going here: lovely steaks!! http://thehawksmoor.com/
                              <consumed with jealousy emoticon> As I look forward to a sandwich ....

Comment

Tarzan was premiered in 1918 but then Jane could hardly be described as a gang member and I couldn't really see a feminist link with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X