This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    What L connects American oranges, medicaments to keep you going, and swelling emotions at the station at Carnforth[/I]
    Hmm.

Well, "American oranges" suggests DeLius' FLorida Suite;
    "Swelling emotions at Carnforth" is an obvious (so, perhaps, too obvious?) refernce to Brief Encounter, with Rachmaninoff's 2nd Pno Conc played by EiLeen Joyce.
    As for the Laxative "medicants"; well, Beecham is the closest Conductor I can think of* ...

??????

EDIT: * = A reference to grandpa's eponymous Powders, rather than his performances, I should add!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Hmm.

Well, "American oranges" suggests DeLius' FLorida Suite;
      "Swelling emotions at Carnforth" is an obvious (so, perhaps, too obvious?) refernce to Brief Encounter, with Rachmaninoff's 2nd Pno Conc played by EiLeen Joyce.
      As for the Laxative "medicants"; well, Beecham is the closest Conductor I can think of* ...

??????

EDIT: A reference to grandpa's eponymous Powders, rather than his performances, I should add!
      Bravo ferney, you've got the three people

... but what the L connects them?

Comment

L-L-L-Limpsfield (churchyard)

along with Jelka, Beatrice Harrison, Jack Brymer and Norman del Mar [I think]

wouldn't have got that (if it's right) without fernie's clues

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          L-L-L-Limpsfield (churchyard)

along with Beatrice Harrison and Jack Brymer [I think]
          Yay mercs strikes!

Bravo young man!

I think that ferney could claim to have done the hard work & mercs slipped in with a great finish

I'm not be Mithered if either of you takes the M, as you fancy.
          Last edited by Guest; 27-05-12, 12:26. Reason: being bold!

Comment

I think that ferney could claim to have done the hard work
            ferney definitely did all the work - I wasn't thinking of Beecham at all

Comment

Yay mercs strikes!

Bravo young man!

I think that ferney could claim to have done the hard work & mercs slipped in with a great finish

I'm not be Mithered if either of you takes the M, as you fancy.
              Amazing stuff from the ferns-mercs duo! I've been pondering since I surfaced, I only got as far as Leslie.... Howard etc..
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                ferney definitely did all the work - I wasn't thinking of Beecham at all
                Well, I've spent the past half-hour or so wiki-ing the three characters and missing the Churchyard connection! (AND it's fairly topical with all the Delius info floating around the Forum!) Didn't know the stuff about all the other Musicians buried there, either; could become a place of pilgrimage!

M for Mercia seems doubly apt; unless he really wants to pass, in which case I shall do the decent thing!

Comment

unless he really wants to pass, in which case I shall do the decent thing!
                  he does and please do

The World’s largest gravesite collection. Contribute, create and discover gravesites from all over the world. Famous Memorials, a Find a Grave Cemetery.

Comment

Oh! I'd figured it was Delius (as ferney says there is a thread about him) and if I'd been paying attention and reading it properly I would have seen this posting: The fact that Delius is buried in Surrey was Beecham's doing. He persuaded Jelka to have the body disinterred from Grez-sur-Loing and reburied at Limpsfield <doh> Which would have given me a clue .......... perhaps!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                      Oh! I'd figured it was Delius (as ferney says there is a thread about him) and if I'd been paying attention and reading it properly I would have seen this posting: The fact that Delius is buried in Surrey was Beecham's doing. He persuaded Jelka to have the body disinterred from Grez-sur-Loing and reburied at Limpsfield <doh> Which would have given me a clue .......... perhaps!
                      I feel the same!! I've watched the first 15 minutes of the BBC4 doc from Friday evening - it talks about the odd nocturnal burial at Limpsfield (invaded by paparazzi journalists - amazing how it was front page news) and the Florida orange adventure... and I still didn't get it... I blame the heat, going to bed at 4am and the London Pride last night

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        and I still didn't get it... I blame the heat, going to bed at 4am and the London Pride last night
                        4am - must have been some party! I hope you didn't cycle home after all that beer ....
                        We have had constant noise here - they are doing first cut silage, so much for a peaceful afternoon in the garden ........ Oh, and I expect Caliban to solve the M as he said a few days ago he had such a fiendish N prepared he'd even emailed it to himself!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                          4am - must have been some party! I hope you didn't cycle home after all that beer ....
                          We have had constant noise here - they are doing first cut silage, so much for a peaceful afternoon in the garden ........ Oh, and I expect Caliban to solve the M as he said a few days ago he had such a fiendish N prepared he'd even emailed it to himself!

Good memory... I am crouched like a tiger, waiting to pounce on the M !! Someone needs to extract a digit and set it! Make it a nice one, ferns!

I must say when I moved into the centre of London 20 years ago, one of the best things was how much quieter where I am now is compared with the country - no tractors, people getting up and doing things shortly after dawn etc etc!!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            I am crouched like a tiger, waiting to pounce on the M !! Someone needs to extract a digit and set it! Make it a nice one, ferns!
                            Steady, Tiger!

Convolutations in process!

Comment

Convolutations

Oh Lor...

Comment

First, not a square composer; alone, a globetrotter; last, Mr Panayiotou. Mmmmm?

Comment

Working...
                                X