X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    ... or the will to live...

I jest!

Home for the weekend! With that and Ammy's 'shanklin' and Cloughie's 'kiplin' jokes, how can one fail to be upbeat

Are any earlier stabs worth looking at, or is it best to start with your clues there?
    Calibs, I created my F to the everlasting glory of those few men blessed and sanctified in the curses and execrations of those many whose praise is eternal damnation. With a wracking head and literally my whole body shaking as with ague I write this and tell you I have just this afternoon finished my F. It is so cataclysmic and catastrophic as any AA clue I've ever done. The irony bites like nitric acid; the cynicism grinds like the mills of God.

But apart from that, the stabs have missed the vital organs, and the clue lives on. Be my guest.

It's a surname, cluffers.
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      It's not my friend Fricker, is it? (I didn't get the clue from the electronic harpsichord video - "just before 6mins" there was a cluster played using a cardboard tube??)
      Did he not whack the keyboard lengthwise with a plank (handed to him by the page turner ), before getting up and stroking, then forcefully abusing the strings?

No, it's not Fricker, but no doubt his surname could also be used in lieu of swearing...

Edit: I was looking for a French translation of harpsichord which these clips show as "clavecin." So I also want a Solemn service, and something airy but not in English.
      Last edited by Flay; 30-11-12, 22:11. Reason: Clarification to avoid Caliban self-harming
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        Calibs, I created my F to the everlasting glory of those few men blessed and sanctified in the curses and execrations of those many whose praise is eternal damnation. With a wracking head and literally my whole body shaking as with ague I write this and tell you I have just this afternoon finished my F. It is so cataclysmic and catastrophic as any AA clue I've ever done. The irony bites like nitric acid; the cynicism grinds like the mills of God.

But apart from that, the stabs have missed the vital organs, and the clue lives on. Be my guest.

It's a surname, cluffers.
        What's Flay on and has he any left for the rest of us.

Is the F one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Is the F one of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...sers_by_name#F
          I want what our friend Sorabji was on... And yes, he is on that list. How much time have you got?

I've just about given you it on a plate. We have "clavecin" and "allegro" and a translation of the word "airs" (making a musical term), and a type of service which could be solemn (this is also in another older language).

I
          Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Sorry to butt in:

Allegro from Pièces de Clavecin Op. 1 by Joseph-Hector Fiocco

Comment

"...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                Sorry to butt in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KLosVvEFo and http://conquest.imslp.info/files/img...e_Clavecin.pdf

On the ball, Odders! He's the man. Good to have new blood here. Care to sweep up?

You realise that now you will have to set us a G?
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Sorry to butt in:

Who the .....?

Comment

Sorry to butt in:
                    Why sorry? Please stick around! More the merrier

Comment

Who the .....?
                      I hope you're not saying that about Oddball?
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

I hope you're not saying that about Oddball?
                        Certainly not - the change from the crypt will be, hopefully, refreshing.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KLosVvEFo and http://conquest.imslp.info/files/img...e_Clavecin.pdf

On the ball, Odders! He's the man. Good to have new blood here. Care to sweep up?

You realise that now you will have to set us a G?
                          It would probably take my feeble brain all weekend to concoct an interesting clue. In the interests of keeping the proceedings on-track, probably better if you set the next clue, Flay.

Comment

the crypt
                            What can you mean?

Comment

It would probably take my feeble brain all weekend to concoct an interesting clue.
                              Nowt "feeble" about a brain that that reached a destination the collective crania of the AA regulars couldn't even find the map for!

In the interests of keeping the proceedings on-track, probably better if you set the next clue, Flay.
                              You've no idea how much unmitigated delight this suggestion will bring to our Flay's weekend!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

It would probably take my feeble brain all weekend to concoct an interesting clue. In the interests of keeping the proceedings on-track, probably better if you set the next clue, Flay.
                                No problem, we don't want to chase you off. Please stick around. I hope one of the veterans can finish off. I don't know why they can't put Airs into Google translate and try a musical language.... I'll get my oboe out and play it I think. A lovely piece.
                                Last edited by Flay; 01-12-12, 00:32. Reason: trypos, shock and awe at Caliban's picture :yikes:
                                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                                X