This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    You've no idea how much unmitigated delight this suggestion will bring to our Flay's weekend!
    Absolutely thrilled, I'm sure.....

You are all so kind

But I'm still waiting for the rest of the answers. He only wrote about three pieces as far as I can see. Just give me the other two!!!
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Beginning to find this puzzle a distraction. Will this bring matters to a close?

Funeral - Missa solemnis

Fluid - very airy

???

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
        Beginning to find this puzzle a distraction.
        Tell me about it!

Shall I spill the beans?

Fiocco is the answer. The three parts were the Allegro, Missa Solemnis, and airy translates as Arioso, a lovely short piece usually set for oboe.

I'm using my mobile. When I try to write Fiocco it tries to correct it to Fiasco! Very appropriate
        Last edited by Flay; 01-12-12, 11:21. Reason: typro
        Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          Tell me about it!

Shall I spill the beans?

Fiocco is the answer. The three parts were the Allegro, Missa Solemnis, and airy translates as Arioso, a lovely short piece usually set for oboe.

I'm using my mobile. When I try to write Fiocco it tries to correct it to Fiasco! Very appropriate
          Airy... aria... ahhhh.....

Oddball: as the F-getter, are you sure you wouldn't like a crack at the G? Be great to have your dรฉbut puzzle! No hurry, either - have a muse and post later. For one thing, I'm off out, only back this afternoon...

Go on! You know you want to!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Airy... aria... ahhhh.....

Oddball: as the F-getter, are you sure you wouldn't like a crack at the G? Be great to have your dรฉbut puzzle! No hurry, either - have a muse and post later. For one thing, I'm off out, only back this afternoon...

Go on! You know you want to!
            And don't feel you have to outdo Flay, Oddball

A nice straightforward teaser in English would be just ... bliss

Comment

Many thanks for your encouragement, Flay, Caliban and Amateur51.

However I would prefer to take a raincheck on this, for two reasons:

1. My musical knowledge database is pretty meagre;
              2. I can't afford to tie up my mental resources to this thread for the next indeterminate number of days.

But I will make further attempts at these puzzles, and come better prepared if declared the winner!

Comment

2. I can't afford to tie up my mental resources to this thread for the next indeterminate number of days.

But I will make further attempts at these puzzles, and come better prepared if declared the winner!
                No pressure Oddball but we all use google mostly - that's where our 'musical knowledge' comes from

That and the sleeve notes from our CDs

Comment

Your Fiocco was a great start though!!

I can oblige with a quick G to conjoin Glasgow with Schnittke and Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    And don't feel you have to outdo Flay, Oddball

A nice straightforward teaser in English would be just ... bliss
                    I would like to apologise if my F caused others more stress than it did me.

To make amends, here is Fiocco's infamous Arioso: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIKze8dprRo
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Not me, I was out most of the time!

To make amends, here is Fiocco's infamous Arioso: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIKze8dprRo

B*gger Fiocco's Hairy Ozo. How about having a crack at the G?

Comment

Don't apologise - all part of the rich panoply of the board - But do like the stressbuster!

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Your Fiocco was a great start though!!

I can oblige with a quick G to conjoin Glasgow with Schnittke and Stravinsky
                          Alfred Schnittke wrote Canon in Memory of I. Stravinsky - is that everso slightly warm, Caliban?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Don't apologise - all part of the rich panoply of the board - But do like the stressbuster!
                            I was just trying to steer Oddball away from a perhaps perceived need for hypercomplexity

Comment

I've been googling or should I say Gogoling?

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Alfred Schnittke wrote Canon in Memory of I. Stravinsky - is that everso slightly warm, Caliban?

Not really... Well, in one sense, the title you cite makes it about 1ยบ above being cold.

Oh incidentally, Glasgow isn't a place.

Comment

Working...
                                X