Carry on as you were, chaps...
      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
        Thank you Flay, I hope I'm not a "one work wonder" though
        Encouraging indication that you'll be sticking around to puzzle us many times !

Originally posted by Flay View Post
        Curses, I was going to do Ullmann but Rubbers did it in 2011
        You're not trying to tell us that you check the whole thread for every one you set to make sure it's not been done before?

Anyway - I can't top the 'flayming good' solution and 'great début' comments above. I think.... Almost that sort of time...
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Thanks for the clarification, hoggers.

Curses, I was going to do Ullmann but Rubbers did it in 2011

Carry on as you were, chaps...
          Flayming Nora, Flay you can do Ullmann anytime, no-one remembers (well I don't - touch of the goldfish here )

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
            Yes Flay, you got there!

BTW I chose Rihm to make up the trio since he dedicated his piece to both Nono and Tarkovsky - made a "T-intersection" in my weird brain

So now it's up to "U".
            Ooooh I went through a Tarkovsky period in the 80s - films that redefined "slow" and "obscure" and "strangely beautiful"

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              Flayming Nora, Flay you can do Ullmann anytime, no-one remembers (well I don't - touch of the goldfish here )
              Curses, I should have just done it!

No, I don't check everything, but something rang a bell so I peeked. Silly me! So here goes (must be quick, Mrs Flay will be back from work soon so I must pretend I have been busy...)

This U's Debussy study was awarded, she got a golden gong last year, and Commands and Orders the British, even though she isn't.
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• amateur51

Curses, I should have just done it!

No, I don't check everything, but something rang a bell so I peeked. Silly me! So here goes (must be quick, Mrs Flay will be back from work soon so I must pretend I have been busy...)

This U's Debussy study was awarded, she got a golden gong last year, and Commands and Orders the British, even though she isn't.
                Dame Mitsuko Uchida whose Debussy disc won a prize?

Comment

• Flay
                  • Mar 2007

Dame Mitsuko Uchida whose Debussy disc won a prize?

Two minutes...

Well at least I can get sorted before I am Flayed by SWMBO. Viciously brilliant, Ammy!
                  Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• amateur51

Two minutes...

Well at least I can get sorted before I am Flayed by SWMBO. Viciously brilliant, Ammy!
                    A lucky fluke I'm afraid Flay

Gimme a mo' to make a cuppa after my shopping expedition & I'll try for a V
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-02-13, 17:24. Reason: trypo

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

A lucky fluke I'm afraid Flay

Gimme a mo' to make a cuppa after my shopping expedition & I'll try for a V
                      Take all the time you want. Did you remember to buy the coleslaw?

Never mind, here's some I brought along myself:

Dame Mitsuko Uchida - pianist.

Her recording of the Debussy Études won a Gramophone Award.

In May 2012, the Royal Philharmonic Society announced that she would be honored with their Gold Medal (she received the society's annual Music Award in 2003); previous recipients have included Johannes Brahms (1877), Frederick Delius and Sir Edward Elgar (1925), Richard Strauss (1936), Igor Stravinsky (1954), Benjamin Britten and Leonard Bernstein (1987).

And I see I got the last bit wrong! I should have carried on reading. She is now a British citizen: She was promoted to Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in the 2009 Queen's Birthday Honours. On this occasion, the award was substantive, as she had become a British citizen.
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• amateur51

Take all the time you want. Did you remember to buy the coleslaw?

Never mind, here's some I brought along myself:

Dame Mitsuko Uchida - pianist.

Her recording of the Debussy Études won a Gramophone Award.

In May 2012, the Royal Philharmonic Society announced that she would be honored with their Gold Medal (she received the society's annual Music Award in 2003); previous recipients have included Johannes Brahms (1877), Frederick Delius and Sir Edward Elgar (1925), Richard Strauss (1936), Igor Stravinsky (1954), Benjamin Britten and Leonard Bernstein (1987).

And I see I got the last bit wrong! I should have carried on reading. She is now a British citizen: She was promoted to Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in the 2009 Queen's Birthday Honours. On this occasion, the award was substantive, as she had become a British citizen.
                        Formidable coleslaw, Flay

What three Vs gave a rare outing to a symphony in G minor by an English composer in South Ken, wrote over 30 Orchestral Etudes as important study materials for modern trumpet players and gave us two Russian images deep down, it is recorded

Comment

• Quarky
                          • Dec 2010

Maybe Vasil(l)y ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                            Maybe Vasil(l)y ?
                            Good work, Odders - care to say why?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

"slow" and "obscure" and "strangely beautiful"
                              Reminds one of certain people on The Forum. Apart from the "-ly beautiful" bit, that is...

Sorry... feeling a little devilish atm. Hostly bonhomie will return soon, I'm sure!
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Quarky
                                • Dec 2010

Good work, Odders - care to say why?
                                Well it's harder to give the exact answers - innit?

Vassily Brandt 34 Orchestral Etudes for Trumpet (I know them well of course).

Vasily Petrenko prom 54 RAH 2012 - Peter Maxwell Davies symphony no. 9. Here I'm a little unsure - do these modern composers bother with mere key signatures?

The difficult one is two Russian Images deep down. This may be referring to " in 1989, Russian scientists in Siberia had drilled a borehole some 14.5 kilometers deep into the Earth's crust. The drill broke through into a cavity, and the scientists lowered some equipment to see what was down there. The temperature was about 1,100°C (about 2,000°F), but the real shocker was the sound that was recorded. They only got about 17 seconds of audio before the microphone melted, but it was 17 horrifying seconds of the screams of the damned!"

Whether one of those scientists was called Vasily?

Comment

Working...
                                X