Clear All

Which D links

5.5 fun
    Remember Now Thy Creator and
    End to end almost 100?

Comment

I can only get the Sterndale Bennett, no idea about the other two

Comment

look round the man and you might just get there?

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          I can only get the Sterndale Bennett, no idea about the other two
          Or is it his one time pupil Charles Steggall (who set the same text)?

The first in the list seems to lead to Don Gillis, composer of Symphony 5½, A Symphony for Fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            but someone posted (now I cannot remember who) that increasing the number of episodes increased the number of troughs as against the peaks.
            Actually, it was me - I'm sorry (pace Peter Sellers), it was I.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
              Or is it his one time pupil Charles Steggall (who set the same text)?

The first in the list seems to lead to Don Gillis, composer of Symphony 5½, A Symphony for Fun.
              Now we are getting somewhere!

Comment

While on the subject of Corrie: I really DON'T like the policy ('tho I understand the reasoning behind it) for having 2 episodes, with a 30-minute gap between them, twice a week, so I record the late-night/early-morning ITV2 repeat and fast forward through the adverts. This evening, this will free up some time for, among other things, watching another episode of the 1964 BBC2 series 'The Great War', which I haven't seen before and which I picked up for the proverbial chanson in a charity shop a few weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  OFCA: we were taught "Anewyh"... I have northern family roots and grandparents all watch the Street - but lately in fact I have a work-related reason for keeping abreast of events there

I am very much lacking in inspiration as regards question setting. I have come up with a sorbet to refresh the palate before (perhaps) a heavyweight D

What is the C in common between a Roman stage work ending in a visual love duet, the number 317, and Rita's Kabin?

EDIT: the sorbet image is not a clue
                  I like to think I would have got that one, but supper and then 'Look East' intervened!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                    Actually (can't be bothered to look up who wrote it), that clip, it's not a bad bit of music. Is Fred Elliott Billy Elliott's Dad?
                    It was written by Eric Spear.

Comment

'Nearly 1000' refers, does it not, to the 'Catalogue Aria' in Don Giovanni?

Comment

Having ruled out Dom Gregory Murray, who did set the text from Ecclesisates, I can offer no further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                          'Nearly 1000' refers, does it not, to the 'Catalogue Aria' in Don Giovanni?
                          The question said "almost 100". Or was that a typo?

Comment

Almost 100 is not a typo - Fun Symphony is spot on and Sterndale Bennett is the right road - well not road exactly..........

Comment

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                              I like to think I would have got that one, but supper and then 'Look East' intervened!
                              My timing was all wrong! Sorry!

Meantime: 30,000 views for this thread!!! Cheers folks

PS: looks as if I was No 30,000! Do I win an iPad?
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                                The question said "almost 100". Or was that a typo?
                                I misread the question.

Comment

Working...
                                X