X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angle. I'm not sure whether you're going in the right direction. I don't know the conductor you're referring to. If you know how to private message me with your thoughts I can tell you if you're on the right track.

Rubbernecker gave a big clue in "A happy new ..."

the Y word is a simple everyday word

sorry you didn't have any luck at the bookshop

Comment

Your feline is Mr Stewart and his cat, Don. I'm not sure about the cycle from Mrs Hensel, as I didn't think Mendelssohn built bicyles, but if it's got two wheels I'll generally ride it!

Waterstones going the same way as HMV? Oh dear...

Comment

Angle. I think I shall leave you in rubbernecker's capable hands. He obviously not only knows the answer but also how to give excellent clues.
        Good day.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          Angle. I think I shall leave you in rubbernecker's capable hands. He obviously not only knows the answer but also how to give excellent clues.
          Good day.
          And with a huff, he was off again...

Mercia, can I lure you back with the promise of a and a

Comment

The original Y in my mind was a Russian name but the other Y also left a couple of footprints. Thanks for the nudge.

Shostakovich :Symphony 11 The Year
            Tippett :New Year
            Al's : The Year of the Cat (of which I have never heard)
            Fanny Mendelssohn Hersel :Das Jahr, which being translated ......

Unfortunately, I do not have an A ready and cannot come back until quite late this evening. I hand it over to rubbernecker as a bonus

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
              The original Y in my mind was a Russian name but the other Y also left a couple of footprints. Thanks for the nudge.

Shostakovich :Symphony 11 The Year
              Tippett :New Year
              Al's : The Year of the Cat (of which I have never heard)
              Fanny Mendelssohn Hersel :Das Jahr, which being translated ......

Unfortunately, I do not have an A ready and cannot come back until quite late this evening. I hand it over to rubbernecker as a bonus
              You missed the '1905' bit out of your first answer, Don, which was the year Shostakovitch was born and which I think ties in with Mercia's clue.

I don't want to set A either, as I shall be absent from the boards from 8pm tonight. So hopefully here is a quick n' easy Z for someone to solve before then:

Which Z drew inspiration from Andersen, Wilde and Tagore?

Comment

Originally posted by rubbernecker View Post
                You missed the '1905' bit out of your first answer, Don, which was the year Shostakovitch was born and which I think ties in with Mercia's clue.

I don't want to set A either, as I shall be absent from the boards from 8pm tonight. So hopefully here is a quick n' easy Z for someone to solve before then:

Which Z drew inspiration from Andersen, Wilde and Tagore?
                Without recourse to google, the Tagore reference makes me think it must be Zemlinsky. Am I right in remembering that the Lyric Symphony is made up of Tagore verses?

Did he set something decadent by Wilde like Salome?

But as I type I remember one of his pieces is "Die Seejungfrau" which is German for mermaid so I infer (without having previously made the connection) that it's a setting of Andersen.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Did he set something decadent by Wilde like Salome?
                  Grove gives Der Zwerg, with libretto after Wilde: The Birthday of the Infanta)

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                    Grove gives Der Zwerg, with libretto after Wilde: The Birthday of the Infanta)
                    OK thanks scb, there we are then... A double Z to finish the alphabet. I suspect rubbers will give me the green light to Attack Again....

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      OK thanks scb, there we are then... A double Z to finish the alphabet. I suspect rubbers will give me the green light to Attack Again....
                      Two Wildian operas in fact, Der Zwerg, and also A Florentine Tragedy. Well done both of you. Caliban, you'd better unleash your A...

Comment

Before Caliban starts us off again on our 12th round, a bit of housekeeping here:

A Ave Verum, Argo, Aspen, A (440hz), Alwyn, Amadeus, Adams, African, Antheil, Adam, Aaron, Albrecht
                        B Britten (2), Beach, B flat, Ball/Barber/Bilk, Bechstein, Bayreuth, Burgon, Boulanger, Bernstein, Bar
                        C Columbus, Clytemnestra, Copland, Cockaigne, Crumb, Children, Cathedral, Calisto, Curzon, Coronation, Clarinet
                        D DG, Doric, Dragon, Demon, Draeseke, Dolly, Dark, Dances, Delibes, Don, Death
                        E Enigma, Elisabeth, Eric, Ellis, Ellington, Erich, Eccles, Eclogue, E, Elgar, Enharmonic
                        F Fugue, Fritz, Florence, Ferguson, Fuchs, Fermata, Feux Follets, Faure, Frankfurt, Fandango, Five
                        G Gloria, Gomez, Gabrieli, Gioconda, Goossens, Gayaneh, Gnome, Grace, George, Gerusalemme, Gaspard
                        H Hirondelle, Henri, Harold, Hammer, Harty, Henze, Hahn, Harriet, Harry, Holiday, Howard
                        I Indian, Invicta,Ian, Iphigenia, Imperial, Inches, Igor, Idyll, Ives, Indes, Irving
                        J Joseph, Juilliard, Jacob, Jacques, Joplin, Jerusalem, Jeremiah, Jenner, Jordan, Jupiter, Jeune
                        K Kapellmeister, Kuijken, Kronos, Kreutzer, Koeln, Karl, Knight, Kullervo, King, Korngold, Kinder
                        L Lvov, Lancashire, Lyadov, Landi, Lincoln, Litany, Lombardy, Liverpool, Lucerne, Lyric, Lorelei
                        M Malibran, Malcolm, Merrie, Martinu, Miller, Metronome, Missa Luba, Mark, Marian, Monothematic, Mandarin
                        N Neville Cardus, Nielsen (2), Neptune, Nono, Nyman, Newcastle, Nevers, Naples, Nocturne, Night
                        O Orff, Ondine, Orlando, Orpheus, Orange, Oliver, Oramo, Open, Orson, Offenbach, Ophicleide
                        P Philip, Petrassi, Papa, Pacific 231, Passacaglia, Padstow, Polignac, Primrose, Pigs, Plantagenet, Peter
                        Q Quodlibet, Qualiton, Quartets, Quincy, Quint, Quasthoff, Quilter, Quicksilver, Queen, Quest,
                        R Reimann, Romania, Rim, Rawsthorne, Rhapsody, Roman, Ripieno, Red Red, Roy, Rhythm, Ricci
                        S Serpent, Staatskapelle, Stravinsky, Solveig, Schnittke, Shellfish, Sackbut, Sessions, Scott, Silver, Striggio
                        T Tamburlaine, Tales, Trittico, Tippett, Thomas, Twins, Turandot, Tango, Trio, Time/Tempo, Tasso
                        U Umberto, Under, Unicorn, University, Ukelele/Unda Maris, Underground, Utopia, Unknown, Ursuleac, Uptown, Unstern
                        V Viola da Gamba, Vasary, Venusberg, Venice (2), Vanishing Bridegroom, Victor, Vanity, Viola, Velvet
                        W Waldtaube, Weill, Walkure, Winter, Wilhelm, Walton/Weller/White, Walter, Wenlock, Williams, S Wagner,
                        X Xaver, Xylophone, Xenia, X (double sharp), Composers ending in X, Xanadu, X, Xerxes
                        Y Ysaye, Yo Yo Ma, Yellow (2), Yves, Yolanda, Young, Young/Jung, Year
                        Z Zeffirelli, Zimmermann (2), Zappa, Zamiel, Zero, Zoo, Zemlinsky

Comment

Back sooner than expected but I shall be going off at 9 to watch the next two parts of Spiral III.

Wot, no A ?

Comment

May St Cecilia bless you and hold you safe, rubberknockers. I was about to hunt for that, to check that the A I have in mind hadn't cropped up before... (Not that we necessarily mind).

Comment

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                              Wot, no A ?
                              Easy, Tiger!

Just finessing a little teaser for you...

Comment

Right, A.

Fraternal leave-taking - plus a bloke who turned to confectionary?

Comment

Working...
                                X